• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a problem. I currently have in my possession a Maadi that I have spent more hours than I care to think about stripping off a very poorly applied DuraCoat job. I am now attempting to reassemble the rifle and the blessed shepherd's hook absolutely, positively will not, I say again, will not go in. I have Googled, read and watched everything I can find on the subject and have found nothing that has worked. I get the thing in place, get the trigger pin pushed in but there is not enough room for the hook to slide under the pin and into the slot.

I don't believe that it would be possible to weave the hook into place and into the trigger pin slot. There's just not enough room to gain the leverage needed to do this. The only way I can see it working is to pop it under the trigger pin once it is in place.

Can anyone help me? My hatred for these rifles is deepening by the minute and at this point I don't think I will ever touch one again once I get this chunk o crap out the door.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    martin draco is pretty skilled with the ak47. he stays in carmel. he helped me out with my draco. he took it completely apart and then put it back together. and also took and put back together a couple others he was working on. i don't think he has enough posts to pm but you could hit him off with a vistor msg

Last edited:

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Done a bunch of ROMY's but used the original springs that the parts kits came with and modified them. They are a lot easier to use and a lot more cost effective than the 1 piece sheet metal piece I think that you are talking about.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Doing a Saiga - I had a similar problem with the shepherd's crook. I actually preferred the "retaining plate" method that I used on the 410 instead of the Shepherd's Crook (had one of the those on the 12 ga...)

Only thing that finally helped was making sure that I had the mainspring pulled away from the side as much as possible. I did this by wrapping it in a tie wrap and pulling it TIGHT. That kept the mainspring from getting it the way and made it easier to finally get the shepherd's crook in.

I will admit that I did question Mr. Kalashnikov's parentage a few times during the effort. :D Something about females of the canine species predominating in his lineage... :D

Don't know if the Maadi is similar to the Saiga, but think that they might be...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thank you for that link Troy_mp. The rifle he was working on was using the pin retaining clip but he showed how to pull the hammer springs up in front of the hammer to hold them out of the way. Once I did that I was able to weave the hook into place.

Many thanks and rep on the way!

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    If you'd like i can put it back together for you if you don't mind driving to Carmel. It would take just a few minutes.

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thank you for that link Troy_mp. The rifle he was working on was using the pin retaining clip but he showed how to pull the hammer springs up in front of the hammer to hold them out of the way. Once I did that I was able to weave the hook into place.

Many thanks and rep on the way!
    Phylodog:

Wonderful! 'Gotta love that 'thar 'intarweb! ;)

Thanks for the rep.

Troy

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My turn needing some help. AK folding stock installer?

Folks,

Who is gtg to install a folding stock on an AK in Indiana? I've an AK 100 series folding stock I want installed on a 7.62 X 39 AK.

With appreciation,

Troy

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Do yourself a favor and toss the shepards hook and get a retainer plate. I have a Krebs and a Tapco in different rifles and they both work well. The only time I screw with the "hook" is to pull it off in order to replace it. 10 bucks well spent if you ever want to work on the fire control group. It doesn't help you right now, but it'll make your life a lot easier in the future.

BTW, I think the Krebs is just a bit better than the Tapco. It has a slight bend in the corner that lets you get hold of it and remove it easier. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom