• pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    WHEN ATLAS DROPPED THE BALL

WHEN ATLAS DROPPED THE BALL

It had been another hot and sticky Indiana August day. I had worked all day in the yard cutting grass, weed eating around the fences, and rototilling the garden so the sprinkler would be more effective that evening when I used it on the garden. I was dead tired, my arthritis in my right ankle, left shoulder, and both hands was flaring up to the point I had taken my prescribed dose of vicodin, and Xanax. But yet here I lay staring at a darkened ceiling lit only by a sliver of light produced by the single street light across the street. My wife lay beside me sound asleep, I envied her. My insomnia was getting worse and I was getting angry with my family Doctor. He did not like to prescribe sleeping pills,and my lack of sleep was making me worse more and more on edge. I would call and make another appointment in the morning, and try again to get what I believed would get me some sleep. I rolled over and felt for my cell phone and when I found it I flipped it open and held it close to my face so my near sighted eyes could read the time, 1:30 AM. This was ridiculous, so I rolled over and sat up in bed to get up, but my feet did not touch the carpeted floor. Instead I felt the fur of our Chow, Buttercup. I rubbed her side with my feet while I used the light from my cell phone to find my glasses. She rolled over and groaned with pleasure. I put my glasses on and reached down to pet her head as my feet moved away from her and on to the floor. “You’re such a good girl” I said to her softly as I rose and began to walk over to where I kept my prescriptions on the dresser. Still using my cell phone for light I found my bottle of pain killers and opened the bottle and shook out one pill. As I made my way out of the bedroom and to the fridge for something to wash the pill down with, I briefly wondered if this was how Doctor House stared out. Finding my favorite mandarin orange flavored water, I popped the pill in my mouth and took a large gulp of water to start the pill on its journey. Maybe a second one will make me drowsy in a little while.

I made my way into the living room and clicked the TV on. I channel surfed for a little while and found nothing of interest. The local channels were running infomercials for male supplements, History Channel, Discovery Channel ,FX and the others were all running repeats of shows I had already seen. I briefly went to Fox News, and they were still live talking about the earthquakes in Turkey, and China that had happened18 hours apart the previous day. Mostly rehashed and the same videos I had already seen. They had lost the live feeds because most of the power was out. CNN was doing the same thing. So I figured I might as well sit down at the computer and log on to INGO and see who was the latest to buy a new Mosin, AR,Glock, or 1911. Or maybe there would be a good rant about something political. Or maybe a good Zombie thread had been started.

I logged in checked my messages, and looked through my subscribed threads, responded to a few then clicked on new posts. To my surprise no one had bought a new Mosin, damn what’s wrong it had been nearly a week and no one had bought a new Mosin! There was a nice post with plenty of pictures of a really tricked out .308 tactical rifle, I congratulated him on the nice buy asked for a range report when he got a chance to break it in. I continued to browse the posts answering where I thought I had something to contribute until my black cat Merlin jumped up on the computer desk, and began pawing at me for attention. I began to stroke his back and he purred with approval and laid down right in front of me with his four paws hanging over the keyboard making it impossible to type any more because he wasn’t going anywhere till he got his fill of my petting him. The clock on the screen read 3:30 AM. Time to quit anyway and try to go back to bed. Just then I felt Buttercup’s cold nose nudge my elbow. I looked down at her and petted her head. “I know what you want,you need to go outside and potty don’t you girl.” She backed away and as if to give me room to push away from the desk and swivel around and get up which I did.
    But all of a sudden I felt unstable like I was dizzy and my knees buckled and I did a face plant into the floor. What a time for the Vicodin to kick in I thought in a haze. But the rattling of glass and banging of doors and clattering of pots and pans quickly cleared the stars out of my head. From out of our bedroom I heard my wife scream MIKE! Followed by a thud that was louder than the glass and pans that were rattling. I struggled to my feet only to fall three more times. I was now at the end of my couch and used the arm rest to help me to my feet. I only made it two steps before a large chunk of drywall fell from the ceiling and struck me, and again I found myself on the floor. I could now feel the whole house shaking more violently. The lights went out and the blown in insulation was hanging in the air like a thick grey fog. I began to choke on it as I struggled on my hands and knees to reach my wife. I heard another crash from the bedroom and another cry for help from my wife. I coughed and hacked as I crawled in what seemed like slow motion even though I could feel the adrenalin coursing through my veins. When after what seemed like an eternity I finally reached the door way to our bedroom, and just as suddenly as it began the shaking stopped. Through the cloud of insulation fibers still floating in he air I could see that the top of my wife’s dresser had fallen over. It was precariously laying on the edge of the lower part of the dresser, and the rest had fallen onto the bed. It was deathly quiet now. I asked in as calm a voice as I could “Are you O.K. Honey?” “I think so she responded, but my arms are pinned between the bed and the dresser you’ll have to try to pull me out. I grabbed her feet and began to pull her out. “You’ll have to try to wiggle as much as you can as I try to pull you out” I instructed her. It only took a few moments to free her of her temporary prison. As she stood up I noticed a cut on her forehead that was bleeding pretty good. “You’re bleeding” I said as I quickly turned around to grab a tee shirt from my dresser to use as a bandage. We needed to get it under control as quickly as possible due to the Plavix she had to take on a daily basis. “What the hell just happened?” she asked. I’m not sure, but I think we just had an earthquake. “Here…in Indiana” she said “It’s possible” I said “The New Madrid Fault runs along close to the Mississippi river and there’s another fault I think that runs up through the eastern part of Illinois and western Indiana somewhere” as I put her hand on the improvised bandage to keep pressure on the wound. I traded places with her and lifted the top of the dresser off the bed and on to the floor. I then guided her back around the foot of the bed so I could pull open my top dresser drawer and feel for my flashlight. The big metal Maglite wasn’t hard to find and I quickly grabbed it and switched it on. We moved to the other side of the bed and grabbed the quilt and shook it to get the pieces of shattered mirror off of the bed. “You’d better lie down and wait till the bleeding stops” She tried to protest a little but being a nurse she knew I was right. I then scanned that side of the room for my .45 which I always kept on the nightstand. The gun and the extra magazine had only fallen a few inches from the stand. I picked them both up and placed them back in their usual spot and contemplated what we should do next.

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The adrenalin rush was over and I began to get the shakes and my body returned to normal. After gathering my thoughts for a few moments I looked at my wife and said “If you think you’ll be O.K. for a little while I think I better go and check things out and see what’s happened. She nodded keeping the t-shirt pressed against her head. Just leave me some light. I shined the flashlight over to my dresser and quickly found the small Lantern I kept on the top. It was shaped like a Coleman lantern but lit up with the power of 4 AAA batteries when you pulled up on the handle to expose the clear cylindrical lens. When activated it gave out quite a bright light for its size. I set it on top of the old RCA TV we kept in the bedroom. “This OK?"

“Sure” she said. I began to make my way through the house to the front door stepping carefully over the chunk drywall that was now in several pieces on the floor. I noticed that most of the china and glassware that once resided in the china cabinet was now all over the floor in the dinning room, At last I reached the front door I paused for a moment wondering what I would see when I opened it. The door took a little bit of effort to open which told me that at the very least the door frame and shifted some. The first thing I saw when I opened the door,was that the street light that a few hours ago had been ever so slightly given a sliver of light to my bed room through the curtains now lay across the road. It had fell at an odd angle,instead of straight across the road in and east west direction. I had rotated as it fell and was nearly north and south, shattering the light housing and the bulb on the pavement. I looked to my left as I heard a loud cracking sounded that nearly sound like a Shotgun blast. I dropped to the ground thinking what a fool I was to have left my gun in the house. But In the full moon light I did not see the muzzle flash of a firearm, but I did see the old dead Cottonwood tree crash in to the abandoned brick house next door to me to the south.

After I recovered my senses and stood up my neighbor across the street came out of his house He was small framed, dark skinned black man whose face showed the strain of a cancer survivor. He hollered over “You OK Mike” as he began to walk over to me as fast as a man could that had just had prostate surgery. “I’m OK, I just dove for it when heard that tree coming down, I didn’t know what was happening, watch out for the power lines from the street light.” He acknowledged the warning and we met in the middle of my yard. “You out of Power” I asked “Yeah” he responded “That’s why I wasn’t worried about the pole, a tree took out the lines behind my house” “Not sure what took my power out” I said. “I do, your pole fell in your backyard It fell up against your garage” as he pointed to my garage roof. By now many of my other neighbors were beginning to come out of their houses to assess the situation. Except the renters in the house on my north side all that was happening in that house was a lot of yelling and screaming as was usually the case with them. Gary was the next neighbor to join us. He was a retired union carpet installer, and an avid hunter with a bow and a rifle. He was a large man with a stubborn hernia that needed surgery but his other medical conditions made him a poor risk. Next to join the group was Jim, probably my best neighbor. He was a retired GM worker and a devout Christian. We had helped each other out more times than I could count. We were about to start discussing theories as to what had just happened, but we were interrupted by more loud cracks. And it quickly became obvious that the other cottonwood tree at the rear of the renter’s house was breaking under the stress of the quake and the power lines that were taught against it due to my power pole that fell. “GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!” we all yelled towards the house. No one responded because they were still screaming at each other. I started to yell louder and tried to run towards the house when two large hands grabbed my shoulders and dragged me backward just as the tree broke and fell on the south side of the roof and smashed that portion of the house. Jim and Gary had restrained me from certain death as the top of the tree landed just a few feet from where we were standing.

The Family came running out of the house like they were being chased by the Devil himself. The screaming and yelling finally stopped because they just stood there beside the house dumbfounded. “Did everyone get out” Jim said in a concerned loud voice. He had developed a slight relationship with them keeping their grass cut because their lawn mower had quit on them and the father had been sent back to jail. The men of the bunch were a pack of thieves. They had been caught by the Police stealing scrap copper out of the abandoned house that now lay in ruin on the other side of my house. We all started walking toward them to see if they needed any assistance, they did have three small children. “We all OK” the biggest one of the bunch said. “Damn man that crib ain’t no good now” He added. “Nuthin to do now but git our crap and go. I’ll just call my cuz and go there. WTF man the cell ain’t work’n”

“You all going to need any help” Jim asked? “Naw man, its slum dudes problem now, we gonna git” With that the adults went back in the house to gather up their belongings from the areas they could get to and we stood out side keeping the children safe. It wasn’t long before the adults emerged with one trash bag each in hand after some more yelling inside the house. “We’ll come back later for the rest with my cuz’s truck. And with out bothering to check the condition of the road they got in their cars and went north out of the drive way. We all watched the taillights travel down the road and make a left as they reached the end of the street. “Well at least we know that end of the street is clear” I chuckled trying to bring a little humor to the situation. We looked at each other with that “are they nuts” look and shrugged our collective shoulders.

“Mike” I heard from behind me. “You guys better come and look at this” As we all turned around we saw my wife Debbie pointing to the south east. When we looked there was a strange orangish yellow glow just above the tree tops. We all began to walk south on our street without a word being said to each other. Other dazed and confused neighbors began to follow us in a Zombie like fashion. When we reached the end of the street we could see more of the strange light. “I have to get a better look at this and find out what it is. Let’s climb the hill and get on top of the 38th street Bridge that ought to give us a better view” Jim suggested. I agreed and we both started to cross the patch of weeds, and then the railroad tracks, and finally we began to climb the hill. Just then my feet reminded me of my arthritis but I was going to make the climb anyway. When we reached the top we both took a moment to catch our breath. When we turned and looked towards the where the glow should be, it stunned us beyond belief. The glow was now as bright as a sunrise, but we were facing almost due west, it was no sunrise…Indianapolis was BURNING!

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys for the compliments I appreciated them. Might be a day or two before the next installment. Got some plumbing problems here to take care of, and some Work One stuff to do. So I'm going to be pretty busy the first part of the week.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You'll have some more soon. Doing a little research for added realism. Plus this Federal aid for training is a real time consuming B****! And had a healthy dose of Bacon yesterday!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok You asked for it!

I don’t know how long we stood there in stunned silence. We were a few miles from the downtown area. But we could still see the flames licking the early morning sky like some kind of monster with an insatiable appetite. Jim was the first to break thee eerie calm in the face of what we were seeing. “My Lord Mike It looks like the Devil himself had opened the gates of Hell and let loose the eternal fires”. Although Jim was a native Hoosier, he had almost a southern drawl to his voice, especially when he spoke of things with a religious nature. I nodded in agreement. In the distance we began to hear the wail of sirens. “Sounds like at least some of our emergency services are working” I said.”But this looks like it’s going to be our Katrina Jim” He nodded. “Do you have a plan?” I asked. “A plan?” He responded with a bewildered look. “For surviving a major disaster like this.” “Not really Mike, I always have some extra batteries, a few gallon jugs of water frozen to keep my fridge cold when we loose power during a storm. Things like that”. “A 72 hr kit?” “Right now a little more than that Mike, the wife and I just went to the grocery store yesterday, I reckon we can last a week maybe two, if we watch what we eat. How are you fixed?” “Not too bad I could be a little better prepared but I’ve been buying stuff a little at a time, to store up for something like this. I could be wrong Jim,but I think we’re all going to need a good survival plan because this is NOT GOOD!” I paused for a moment, and then said “But what we really need right now is information. Let’s get down off this bridge and let everyone know what we’ve seen.” Just as we began to make our trip down the hill the sound of sirens could be heard behind us. We had just stepped over the guard rail that lead up to the bridge so we paused for a moment and watched 4 Lawrence fire trucks speed buy, including an ambulance. “Did you ever buy that Taurus Judge you wanted?” as we began to descend the hill. Yes was his reply. “I think before this is all said and done you and every one else is going to need something for self defense around here.” “I hope your wrong Mike. I have faith in the good people in this city” “It’s not the good people of Indianapolis I’m worried about Jim…It’s the bad ones! He paused for a moment, and then reluctantly nodded in agreement. And then he stated.“With the good Lords help, and each other we’ll make it through this. By the way how do you figure on getting the information we need, power is out, and most likely cable with it” “I’ve got a generator and Satellite. But first we’ll check the local radio stations see if anyone is still broadcasting. If no one has a battery powered radio, I’ll pop the top on the Mustang and we can all gather round and listen to what ever station we can tune in. I’ll bet WIBC off the air, it’s right on the circle. And I think we should tell everyone to go home and check to see if water is still running, and if so, to fill their bathtubs up and anything else that will hold water,Including those big trash cans we all got from the city” “Those things are filthy by now what good would that do?’ Jim queried. “Grey water I said. “For flushing toilets, things like that, if we loose water. And we could make some type of crude filter out of old tee shirts and Charcoal to make it clean enough to wash up with. And If we boil it might be fit to drink” “Good idea, Mike I would have never thought of that one”

By now we were on level ground heading to where we had left outneighbors. I looked at my watch it was approaching 5AM and the first rays of sunlight were beginning to stream in from the eastern sky. And it began to illuminatethe smoke coming from the fires downtown, and the prevailing wind swept the ash and dust and what ever else was in the air towards us. We finally met up with our neighbors to deliver what information we had, and made the suggestions Jim and I had discussed. Many just plain panicked and ran as soon as they knew the downtown area was ablaze, and ran back to their homes,a few others said screw it we’re out of here. But the rest agreed with Jim and I to stay put for a while until we had more information. We all agreed to meet at my house at 5:30AM to see what we could get on the radio, or satellite.

When Debbie and I got back to the house I told her to start filling up the bathtub while I went to the garage to get the plastic jugs I had from when I worked in plastics many years ago. I had one 5 gallon, one 6 gallon, and one 2.5 gallon jug. I also had a five gallon water cooler a 1 gallon and three two quart coolers. I took those in to the house and heard the sweet sound of running water. Good I thought at least we have one utility but that might not be the when the first after shock hits. My wife began to fill them as soon as I brought them in. It was going slowly since every one else in the area was doing the same thing.

I returned to the garage, flipping off the main breaker in the utility room as I went, and decided to dig out the generator. The likely hood of any of the radio stations running was slim so I decided to I hook up the generator and try the satellite. It took a little while to get to it I had the rototiller and snow blower blocking it in. But I finally freed it from its prison in the back of my garage. I slung the 10 gauge extension cable I had made over my shoulder and rolled every thing out into the middle of the garage. I plugged the one end of the cable in to the socket I had installed in the garage and the other I laid beside the generator. I went and opened two windows for ventilation, and then I checked the fuel level, oil, opened the fuel valve,gave the genny full choke and gave the rope starter a good pull and it roared to life. After a few seconds of runningI pushed the choke in and the engine hummed like it should. I then connected the cable to supply the house with power. As I exited the garage through the side door I flipped the breaker on the AC unit because my 5K gen, was not enough to run it, we’d have to open windows and use fans to stay cool. But I only had about 25gal of gas; I could run 8 to 10 hours on 5 gal of gas that gave me between 40-50 hours of running time. I’d probably have to ration the time.

By now the core group of neighbors had began to arrive at my house. John form across the street was the first. “You fired up the generator instead of the mustang” he said. “Yeah”I replied “Something tells me we’re going to get zippo out of the local stations right now” was my response. “Let’s go in and see what we can find out”. By now every one was here and we gathered round the TV and I turned it and the satellite receiver on. As I suspected none of the local stations were working, all blank except Fox 59, but It was only displaying a test pattern with their logo. They were one of the few stations that weren’t right downtown. I then hit my favorites and clicked on Fox News figuring they might be the first to get news form Indy since 59 still had power. When Fox News came up on the screen it was just past 5:35 AM. Bret Baier was at the news desk:

That’s all we have for now on the massive earthquake that has hit the Midwestern region of the country. Do we have her now? Ok, we do have her now? We are now taking you to our affiliate in Phoenix Arizona KSAZ. Thank you Bret, we are talking to Dr Cassi Notwen from the US Geological Survey. Dr.what can you tell us about the earthquake in the Midwest? At approximately 3:31 AM Eastern Time the US Geological survey in Flagstaff detected a 9.0 earthquake in the New Madrid fault centered near St Louis Missouri, which also triggered an 8.3 quake in the Wabash Valley seismic zone 16 miles west of Vincennes Indiana. Dr for those who aren’t familiar with the Richter scale how powerful were these earthquakes? The reporter interrupted. The Dr. continued, The most powerful earthquake in the US occurred on February 4, 1812 near New Madrid Missouri it was between a 7.7 -8.6. To give you an idea of the energy released, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated was the Tsar Bomba in the Former Soviet Union its yield was 100 megatons of TNT. An Earthquake of 9.0 would be equal to 480 megatons of TNT. In October 2009 a team from University of Illinois & Virginia Tech estimated that a major earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone would result in significant damage to Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee. Memphis and St Louis would be severely damaged with an estimated 86,000 casualties, 3500 fatalities; 715,000 damaged buildings and 7.2 million people displaced. I fear this one is going to be much worse. Thank you Dr., we are going to have to go back to Bret in the New York. Bret back to you…

Last edited:
    Top Bottom