• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It's not corruption, it's exortion. If these yokels feel like shelling out half a million to do business, that's between them and their accountant. But I agree, the money will sink into someone's pocket and not the State coffers.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    The whole alcohol commission is corrupt. When a business forced to purchase supplies from only approved vendors is crap. The liscensing class that a person has to take now is nothing but a moneymaker for the state. It is crap. I could go on and on.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why should a business have to buy a liquor license at all, let alone buy one from an AUCITON from the state? Would we allow them to limit ltch's and auction them?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The whole alcohol commission is corrupt. When a business forced to purchase supplies from only approved vendors is crap. The liscensing class that a person has to take now is nothing but a moneymaker for the state. It is crap. I could go on and on.

It's not approved vendors, it's contractual territory held by distributors.

It's a facet of ANY kind of business, there are only certain distributors that they can by pop, alcohol, bread, chips, auto parts, ect, ect, ect.

The 3 tier system is entwined throughout the entire business world and is here to stay.

It has been this way for a way longer time than you and I have been alive.

Before territories came back into effect in Indiana there was over 385 beer distributors in Indiana. Because of the cost of trans shipping all over the state to places they had to deliver, they was dropping like flies. Because of this the cost of business skyrocketed and many fell to the chopping block because they was no longer viable to support themselves.

It also forced them to abnormally carry a larger than normal employee force to meet the fluctuating demand. In the beer business it was common place to play cut throat buying because of a mere 1 penny in price difference which amounted to any where between a paltry $1.25 to $5.00 difference in an order.

I can't remember if it was 8 or 9 years ago when territories was brought back, there was only 23 distributors left in state because of a myriad of things.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It's not approved vendors, it's contractual territory held by distributors.

It's a facet of ANY kind of business, there are only certain distributors that they can by pop, alcohol, bread, chips, auto parts, ect, ect, ect.

The 3 tier system is entwined throughout the entire business world and is here to stay.

It has been this way for a way longer time than you and I have been alive.

Before territories came back into effect in Indiana there was over 385 beer distributors in Indiana. Because of the cost of trans shipping all over the state to places they had to deliver, they was dropping like flies. Because of this the cost of business skyrocketed and many fell to the chopping block because they was no longer viable to support themselves.

It also forced them to abnormally carry a larger than normal employee force to meet the fluctuating demand. In the beer business it was common place to play cut throat buying because of a mere 1 penny in price difference which amounted to any where between a paltry $1.25 to $5.00 difference in an order.

I can't remember if it was 8 or 9 years ago when territories was brought back, there was only 23 distributors left in state because of a myriad of things.

Says the man who directly benefits from a violent cartel. The 3 tier system is a racket and everyone knows that fact. Enjoy your state sponsored, taxpayer funded, monopoly.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Says the man who directly benefits from a violent cartel. The 3 tier system is a racket and everyone knows that fact. Enjoy your state sponsored, taxpayer funded, monopoly.

Violent Cartel, wow, first time in my 26 years in the business I've heard that, I and others in my business don't make you buy anything, you buy it on you own free will.

Last time I checked, we are not taxpayer funded, never have never will be, and beside that, we have to pay what is called a "sin tax" on every case of beer and wine we sale before it's even sold where you purchase it.

And I hate to break the news to you, it is not a state sponsored monopoly, the breweries determine who sells their products, not the state.

Now here's a little info you don't know.

Before Indiana's Sunshine law went into effect in the early 70's, there was over 385 individual beer distributors in Indiana, all guaranteed their own "protected" (as you other see it) territories. That was 385 individual businesses paying taxes and employing people.

Then the state blew open the doors and over the next 30 years because of attrition and competition, one by one fell to the wayside being bought because of varying factors to the point that in 1987 there was less than 90.

From 1987 to 2003 that number fell to 23, so what you see as a protected class, I see as a huge loss of business owners and jobs, that equals lost taxes.

When the "Beer Baron" law (as what everyone calls it) was brought back, to my knowledge there has only been 4 disappeared, and that was because they sold to either get out of the business, or because of contractual problems with breweries.

So now Mr. Smarty pants, let me ask you a question of two.....

Have you purchased a soft drink today, last week, month or in your lifetime from Coke, Pepsi or any of the other major bottlers?
    Have bought Mike Sells or Seyferts potato chips?
    Have you or a member of you family bought Pepperidge Farms bread?
    Have you bought anything from a NcDonald's or other major fast food place?

Do you know what is common to all the above, they all have protected territories. Yes even fast food restaurants like Mc D's have this bestowed on them, the franchisee is guaranteed that they will not have another one built with a set distance so they will have guaranteed sales and not have infringement on their area.
    As a example, the Anderson Coca-Cola Bottler can not sell in Indianapolis, and Indianapolis can not sell in Anderson.

The three tier system is throughout the business world and way deeper than you have thought out.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I'm sorry, but that is suppression of the free market. The reason for this you said yourself, loss of tax revenue for the state. Plus, the distibuter pays the sin tax, which is passed on to the retailer, who then pays sales tax on the same item. It is nothing but criminal, rules made by the alcohol and tobacco commssion to insure more revenue goes to the state.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm sorry, but that is suppression of the free market. The reason for this you said yourself, loss of tax revenue for the state. Plus, the distibuter pays the sin tax, which is passed on to the retailer, who then pays sales tax on the same item. It is nothing but criminal, rules made by the alcohol and tobacco commssion to insure more revenue goes to the state.

Sin Taxes are federal, does not matter who collects it, we don't get to keep it, or would you rather just pay it at the end of the year on April 15th. :dunno: There are thousands of taxes done this way.

I think you have lost what I have said, the 3 tier system is intact throughout the business world, it has been for eon's, there is no perfect world.

Want to do away with it, lobby for it, then you can think of the thousands and millions of people you put out of a job. Geez You sound just like a OWS'r.

What business do you work at, come on let us know. Set up on a tee and I'll drive it home for you.:D

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona

Most states only issue a fixed number of licenses. Some states sell them on a lottery-style system, others by auction. The higher the price, the more populated the area it covers or the harder a license is to find.

Newly-minted licenses are a BIG deal. According to that article, 279 permits sold for more than $3.8 million. There probably won't be another event like this for 10 or 20 years.

Liquor stores are a recession/depression-proof business. It's about as close as you can get to printing money.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Most states only issue a fixed number of licenses. Some states sell them on a lottery-style system, others by auction. The higher the price, the more populated the area it covers or the harder a license is to find.

Newly-minted licenses are a BIG deal. According to that article, 279 permits sold for more than $3.8 million. There probably won't be another event like this for 10 or 20 years.

Liquor stores are a recession/depression-proof business. It's about as close as you can get to printing money.

I understand how it is. My point is there shouldn't be a liquor license at all.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I think this also answers why we can't buy alcoholic beverages on Sundays. The cartels are against it because they fear it would hurt their specific points of "legal" Sunday sales.

Somehow I think, but just my own feelings, that this is rooted way back in the thinking that gave us the prohibition stuff, and we all know how that ended, or did it???

They license dogs, they license marriages, they license autos, they license firearm carry, and any other way "they" think they can get money from us.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    ...why we can't buy alcoholic beverages on Sundays.

Legislation passed last year does allow you to buy take-away alcohol on Sunday, if you purchase it directly from the producer. I know this is not exactly what you are referencing, but it is an avenue that was not previously available. Support your local brewery or winery! (Full disclosure, we at Sun King have chosen to give ourselves and our employees the day off on Sunday, so although we could sell beer on Sunday, we do not.)

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    There used to be a prohibition on buying any alcohol between the hours of 12:01AM and 12:00 PM here in NY. Many a party was ruined because we forgot to make a pre-midnight re-up beer run. :(

That law has since been repealed, however.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think this also answers why we can't buy alcoholic beverages on Sundays. The cartels are against it because they fear it would hurt their specific points of "legal" Sunday sales.

Somehow I think, but just my own feelings, that this is rooted way back in the thinking that gave us the prohibition stuff, and we all know how that ended, or did it???

They license dogs, they license marriages, they license autos, they license firearm carry, and any other way "they" think they can get money from us.

Sunday sales:

It's a no brainer, Sunday sales or not, there is still only x amount of cases that will be sold, sales will not magically jump through the roof and increase

Now let's see a couple of things here.

Liquor stores can't sell milk, bread, candy ect. because the law states that it might entice a child to enter a establishment that they are not allowed to.

Grocery Stores, can sell all the above and let the kiddies run wild up and down the beer aisles.

Liquor stores by law have to buy a more expensive license and actually sell their product at a profit to stay in business.

Grocery stores operate under an antiquated pharmacy law that let's them sell it as "medicinal purposed" and can sell it at a loss to get people in to purchase items liquor stores can't sell.

Now I want you guys to post where you buy $5.00 beers at, the only place I can think of is Topless bars. Other than that there's not a lot of places trying to make $120.00 a case of beer sold.

Of course I've only been in this business for 26 years, and the biggest complainers I run into is people who was not born, still in diapers, or in elementary school when I got into this business.

So as you guys keep biotching and moaning and trying to change certain things, don't biotch when you get your change and you actually have to pay through the arse when you get it your way.

Oh, one thing to remember boy's, this ain't Burger King, you can't have it your way all the time.

-1 Burger King.:D

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    So you're saying that people who have legal liquor licenses can only purchase beer from CERTAIN distributors?

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I have never paid $5 for one beer anywhere but Verizon center in Indianapolis and Sixth Avenue Dancers in Terre Haute in college. Both were well worth it.......

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Who does everyone think is paying for that business's $450,000 liquor license? The consumer is. Why should consumers pay $450,000 to the state for a f'n license that shouldn't exist in the first place?

Would we allow police or fire protection to be bought from the government at auction? Would we allow ltch's to be sold at auction so only the rich can get in?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sunday sales:

It's a no brainer, Sunday sales or not, there is still only x amount of cases that will be sold, sales will not magically jump through the roof and increase

Now let's see a couple of things here.

Liquor stores can't sell milk, bread, candy ect. because the law states that it might entice a child to enter a establishment that they are not allowed to.

Grocery Stores, can sell all the above and let the kiddies run wild up and down the beer aisles.

Liquor stores by law have to buy a more expensive license and actually sell their product at a profit to stay in business.

Grocery stores operate under an antiquated pharmacy law that let's them sell it as "medicinal purposed" and can sell it at a loss to get people in to purchase items liquor stores can't sell.

Now I want you guys to post where you buy $5.00 beers at, the only place I can think of is Topless bars. Other than that there's not a lot of places trying to make $120.00 a case of beer sold.

Of course I've only been in this business for 26 years, and the biggest complainers I run into is people who was not born, still in diapers, or in elementary school when I got into this business.

So as you guys keep biotching and moaning and trying to change certain things, don't biotch when you get your change and you actually have to pay through the arse when you get it your way.

Oh, one thing to remember boy's, this ain't Burger King, you can't have it your way all the time.

-1 Burger King.:D

I've NEVER paid $5 a bottle, even in a topless club. Maybe if you're buying some "fancy" beer in a club or bar trying to be upscale but I don't think the bars in Chicago were $5 for a Bud Light. Most places, I've seen $1.25-$3.75 a bottle. I rarely go to Indy but I don't think per bottle was $5 in several downtown bars. Sure, there might be at places that are trying to be upscale but that isn't and won't ever be my kind of place. Pitchers can be up to $15 at some of the gentlemen's clubs I've been to but that really isn't too much more than at most sports bars.

Top Bottom