• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    And things like this are why my optimism for the future is growing.

It's becoming apparent that the neo-con/neo-lib ideology is failing and losing the will of the people. Once it's fully dead, we'll be in an ideological renaissance.

We've been living under neo-con/neo-lib ideology in almost all western countries since ww2. What comes next is going to be a lot more honest and practical.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    He did this in a way to hurt the party. Just for the record in this thread, the count of republicans that quit rather than be America First is now nearing 100 since Trump won, including the traitor/speaker Paul Ryan…
    In the short term, it will definitely narrow their majority. It looks likely a R will replace him in the district, so the long term damage may be nil.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In the short term, it will definitely narrow their majority. It looks likely a R will replace him in the district, so the long term damage may be nil.
    They redistricted Bobert out of her seat and this makes it difficult for her to run here now because she would have to give up her seat to run in the special election that must take place instead of running for the seat in the fall…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Some are moving up. It many want out, can’t stomach America First…

More than 20 House Republicans have announced they will not seek reelection in 2024:

Per Axios:

• Alex Mooney (R-W.V.)
    • Jim Banks (R-Ind.)
    • Dan Bishop (R-N.C.)
    • Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.)
    • Kay Granger (R-Texas)
    • Ken Buck (R-Colo.)
    • Michael Burgess (R-Texas)
    • Brad Wenstrup (R-Ohio)
    • Bill Johnson (R-Ohio)
    • Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.)
    • Drew Ferguson (R-Ga.)
    • John Curtis (R-Utah)
    • Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.)
    • Larry Bucshon (R-Ind.)
    • Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.)
    • Greg Pence (R-Ind.)
    • Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.)
    • Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.)
    • Mike Gallagher (R-WI)
    • Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

More than 20 House Republicans have announced they will not seek reelection in 2024:

Per Axios:

• Alex Mooney (R-W.V.)
    • Jim Banks (R-Ind.)
    • Dan Bishop (R-N.C.)
    • Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.)
    • Kay Granger (R-Texas)
    • Ken Buck (R-Colo.)
    • Michael Burgess (R-Texas)
    • Brad Wenstrup (R-Ohio)
    • Bill Johnson (R-Ohio)
    • Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.)
    • Drew Ferguson (R-Ga.)
    • John Curtis (R-Utah)
    • Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.)
    • Larry Bucshon (R-Ind.)
    • Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.)
    • Greg Pence (R-Ind.)
    • Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.)
    • Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.)
    • Mike Gallagher (R-WI)
    • Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA)
    Still not enough.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to warn all ya'll right now. Some of you are going down the path that too many stupid Libartarians have gone down. You're starting to effectively enforce "purity" tests. If someone doesn't believe EXACTLY as you want, kick 'em, get rid of them, let them wail and gnash their teeth.

And see how many elections we've won... There are many reasons for our failings, but one of them is not letting people into the party unless they are pure. Won't even talk to them or welcome them in because they don't agree with the "party line" on some stupid issue, so they go away.

If you let perfect get in the way of good or above average you're going to lose - everything.

Here is how Rep Ken Buck voted in 2023: https://ballotpedia.org/Ken_Buck

Now you might not agree with all of his votes, but for those conservatives out here he certainly voted your way on quite a few issues.

And I don't believe his quitting now necessarily hurt the conservative republican party, it hurt Rep Lauren Boebert. As many Colorado republicans have called her a carpet bagger (which she seems to be,) she is now being forced to either give up her 3rd district seat to try to fill the 4th district vacancy OR to wait to run in November. This cripples HER only, NOT the republican party.

Hardcore Trump supporters represent about 33% of the republican party. That means to win general elections you need moderate conservatives AND plain moderates to have any hope of winning at all. The only thing that saves many members from being truly challenged on both the right and the left is gerrymandering, and that practice is slowly but surely being eroded away. This means you need more from the middle to have any hope of winning general elections.

I have come to peace with the thought that I will NEVER be happy with who gets elected from now until the day I die. I'll still vote and consider myself a patriotic citizen, I just won't get anyone I like into office. Hopefully I can stomach them (which is doubtful in many cases.)

But if you don't want to accept what I have accepted, which is fine, then for goodness sake avoid the RINO label. Pick a percentage that is fair and attainable. Be pragmatic. If a candidate is about 60 - 70% or above in agreement with you that's great! If you don't like my percentage that's cool, pick another. But if you try to get near pure at 90% or above (purity)... come join me for a glass of bourbon and a good cigar. I'll be happy to commiserate together.

Regards,

Doug

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yep, ”our” mob would rather be in the minority, so they can bitch what the majority is doing. Bongino said we are down to a majority by 1. So another leaves… I don’t believe there are any safe seats any more.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Monday evening I was on a Teams meeting with David Conte (AKA my NRA-ILA POC.) David lives politics 24/7 and is involved with getting the campaign field reps into areas with close races.

He was a lot more positive on the WH and the Senate than he was on the House. Also mentioned the number of R's retiring and the incredibly slim current majority.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    “Above average “ has put us where we are now. Maybe this society needs some pain to get the message. A few elections under full D control might just wake people up.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    After 1930 the Dems controlled the House 58 of the next 62 years and the Senate 52 of those 62. At what point did it teach people the lesson? The Republicans have been back being competitive for the last 30 years. That is partly due to Reagan’s big tent.
    “The person who agrees with you 80 percent of the time is a friend and an ally - not a 20 percent traitor.”

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Problem now is that 20% disagreement is on issues that will never be readdressed once true conservatives are in place. Exactly how has the Turtle been good for the conservatives? He sure hasn’t cut spending.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    They redistricted Bobert out of her seat and this makes it difficult for her to run here now because she would have to give up her seat to run in the special election that must take place instead of running for the seat in the fall…
    False. Not true. Not even close.

Boebert is a mess and barely won her seat last time. She decided to move to this seat to increase her chances of winning. Nobody was redistricted.

Buck, like many who think she is an idiot, is preventing her from running for his seat. Boebert's seat went from toss-up to Lean R the second she announced she wasn't running. She is the problem.

Buck is putting R's in a hard spot, though. Boebert is Boerbert First, though, so she may still give up her seat and the Republican majority to run for it.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Problem now is that 20% disagreement is on issues that will never be readdressed once true conservatives are in place. Exactly how has the Turtle been good for the conservatives? He sure hasn’t cut spending.
    He's been amazing for conservatives. Delivered tax cuts from the Senate, a SCOTUS that reads and applies law, and has kept his caucus together. The disdain for Mitch is insane.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    The house, at best, will have a tight majority, and it is vulnerable to the clown caucus of Gaetz/Boebert, etc, driving out leaders who don't destroy ethics investigations aimed at them for banging minors and putting the whole House into disarray for weeks and complicate moving legislation/fundraising/etc. Republicans aren't going to fall in line like D's, and all demand their way, and some have highly unrealistic expectations for budgets, etc., that are easily positioned to bring the House R caucus to a grinding halt. It's prob a terrible job.

Top Bottom