• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Is the US federal government under Obama, whether overtly or covertly, buying and stockpiling ammunition as a means to implement gun control?

EDIT: After all, what good is a firearm for self defense if you can't get ammunition to use in it?

Last edited:

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Is the US federal government under Obama, whether overtly or covertly, buying and stockpiling ammunition as a means to implement gun control?

At the very least, they are inadvertently causing firearms owners in general to shoot less. It's sad to tell friends that are finally interested in buying a firearm that they should be able to find a gun they would like, but good luck finding a supply of ammunition to feed the thing.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I don't think the answer to ammo shortage is a simple one. But I don't think a secret covert plan by the government is the cause.

I think all of the following created the problem:
    • -Government placed larger orders recently (for whatever reason)
    • -Sandy Hook panic sky-rocketed demand (new shooters and paranoid stockpilers)
    • -Manufacturers all at once had a super huge influx of demand and used all of their raw materials to fill the orders (ie... powder, brass, primers, bullets)
    • -Manufacturers can't make ammo without ALL components... they are struggling to find the above items and therefore are in a hold pattern for certain types of ammo
    • -Raw Material manufacturers are not going to ramp up production to fill the void... that would be bad business practice

I think all of the above CONTRIBUTED to the shortage initially.... However, I KNOW the following is what is prolonging the shortage.

• -The shortage created a HUGE demand which in turn has increased value and is perpetuating the panic
    • -Gun stores are jacking up prices to turn a buck which has artificially increased selling prices
    • -Big chain stores like Walmart and Dicks sporting goods HAS NOT RAISED THEIR PRICES... but because of the discrepancy, private buyers have figured out there is a profit margin to be made and ergo arrive on a daily basis (or better yet has the stock boy call them if they are friends) to purchase the ammo. They then RE-SELL the ammo at inflated gun store prices and turn a nice profit.

For everyone reading this thread.... Walmart is getting .22lr, 9mm, .223, .45 and 7.62 on a daily basis (not all at the same time, but you can bet they are getting shipments of each one of these calibers EVERY WEEK)

Until private buyers stop paying inflated prices to private sellers... THIS PROBLEM WILL NOT END. Stay off of Armslist....

Case in point.... I bought 3 225rd boxes of Remington .22lr yesterday, 2 boxes of 550rd Winchester .22lr Thursday and 3 Bricks of Remington .22lr 2 weeks ago.

I used 3 Bricks of Remington for an Appleseed for me and my buddies family, but shamefully did sell the 2 Bricks of Winchester at a profit. After writing this, I've decided to not do that anymore.

Last edited:

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    .. they are inadvertently causing ...

Those nutty liberal social terrorists. They create a panic, then complain when a record number of guns and amounts of ammo are sold.

The situation has certainly reduced my plinking. I keep hoping those who have been panic buying will knock it off so I can go back to finding ammo on the shelf.

I don't think the answer to ammo shortage is a simple one. ===8<---.

Lucky, while overall I think you're right, I'm pretty sure the government actually just put out a request for bids to buy a large (though probably normal for all the agencies supplied) amount of ammo over something like a five year period. This was done so they could get competitive bids and the manufacturers could plan for production. In all probability nothing has actually changed hands yet. (I have to admit I hope they're having as much trouble as I am.)

I also agree about not selling at inflated prices (Not having a stockpile to sell makes that a pretty easy decision on my part.), and not buying from scalpers. (Yes, I have - once to feed a new gun, but no, I won't.)

Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I read or heard yesterday that DHS has not taken delivery of the excessive ammunition orders. They have just earmarked the funds. The ammo shortage is the panic buyers fault. Ever gone to the grocery store when there is a storm in the forecast? All bottled water is gone!! Under normal conditions people are happy picking up a box of ammo as it's needed. Now they purchase everything on the shelf.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I read or heard yesterday that DHS has not taken delivery of the excessive ammunition orders. They have just earmarked the funds. The ammo shortage is the panic buyers fault. Ever gone to the grocery store when there is a storm in the forecast? All bottled water is gone!! Under normal conditions people are happy picking up a box of ammo as it's needed. Now they purchase everything on the shelf.

I have a ton of family shoots planned this summer.... I never held on to .22lr before the panic and struggled to get what I needed for the last Appleseed because I didn't know where to get it.

This summer we plan on shooting A TON of 22lr and so I've decided that on my way to work I will stop at Walmart and pick it up when it comes in. I stop there every morning and its the same 3-4 guys EVERY DAY. No way they are stockpiling that much ammo.

I buy if its 9mm or .22lr (got plenty of .223 for myself right now), but those guys buy any common caliber.

The ammo is out there, but my guess it won't be until July when the availability goes back to normal, but thats only if people stop paying inflated prices.

Just for reference... I put those 2 bricks of .22lr on Armslist and within 2 hours I had about 15 emails of people who wanted it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

DHS hasn't taken delivery? Got a link?

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    We put ourselves in a weapons ban or "ammo shortage." All the goverment has to do is say they are going to ban assault weapons and boom everyone freaks out and buys everything up to the point where you cant buy an AR or AK and ammo has left the planet. (unless you wanna spend a dollar a round for 9mm).

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    We put ourselves in a weapons ban or "ammo shortage." All the goverment has to do is say they are going to ban assault weapons and boom everyone freaks out and buys everything up to the point where you cant buy an AR or AK and ammo has left the planet. (unless you wanna spend a dollar a round for 9mm).

When they have it, Bite the Bullet here in seymour is $25 a box of 50

And Acme, also in seymour, almost always has a few boxes of Aguila at $25/50

I don't stockpile at large amounts at a time, mainly because lack of storage space (aside from ammo can), but in the fairness of other shooters, I try not to be the sap that takes more than I realistically need

Top Bottom