• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I am just thankful that I had a good supply of components to load everything I shoot. I do wish I had gotten another keg of Blc (2) though.
    Yep reloading is whats keeping me shooting centerfire. I do wish I had bought more primers at Camp Perry in 2019 but who knew what was to come in 2020. In all of 2020 I bought 2 boxes of centerfire - a box of 9mm at Cabela's for $9.99 and one box of 223 Federal match with 77 grain Sierra at $18.99 in Muncie.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    Yep reloading is whats keeping me shooting centerfire. I do wish I had bought more primers at Camp Perry in 2019 but who knew what was to come in 2020. In all of 2020 I bought 2 boxes of centerfire - a box of 9mm at Cabela's for $9.99 and one box of 223 Federal match with 77 grain Sierra at $18.99 in Muncie.
    The only ammo I've bought in the last few years was 9 boxes of 30-06, but now I am set up to load them aslo. I just loaded 1000 .223 and have more to do. I loaded about 2500 .45 acp last month, and 1000 .38spl and 300 .357 mag. Next is .40sw

Thought about selling some primers, but since I can't replace them, I'm hanging onto them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The only ammo I've bought in the last few years was 9 boxes of 30-06, but now I am set up to load them aslo. I just loaded 1000 .223 and have more to do. I loaded about 2500 .45 acp last month, and 1000 .38spl and 300 .357 mag. Next is .40sw

Thought about selling some primers, but since I can't replace them, I'm hanging onto them.
    I'm not loading anything extra just load work ups. Keeping my components cool and dry for when I might actually need them.

E-4 461

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2021
    Terre Haute
    Man, all I want is some .454 Casull for hunting. At $50 box of 20, I could still only manage to stock up about 900 rds. over the years, while still shooting it for sighting in, and the actual hunt itself. The stuff is like gold to me now!

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I'm not loading anything extra just load work ups. Keeping my components cool and dry for when I might actually need them.
    Yea, I havent loaded extra, just was time as I hadn't loaded in 4 years because I wasn't shooting much, but my loaded ammo was getting low, and I am planning to get back into some competition shooting this year, so I am just loading up stock for that.

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Didn't grow up in a shooting family but luckily my best friend in HS and his Dad adopted me into their hunting and shooting world. We used to shoot the black birds that damaged their trees on the Christmas tree farm. Would shoot our 20's until we were out of ammo, go up to his room and load them up again. Started reloading when I was in HS for my .357 using a Lee Load All. Talk about slow. It became a priority then to have access to Ammo so I could enjoy the hunting and shooting. I learned how to cast bullets and Load for everything I have that can be reloaded. The current situation will only get worse when the new administration takes a swipe at some new legislation. This will not mitigate any time soon. Elections have consequences.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yea, I havent loaded extra, just was time as I hadn't loaded in 4 years because I wasn't shooting much, but my loaded ammo was getting low, and I am planning to get back into some competition shooting this year, so I am just loading up stock for that.
    Right now I'm concentrating on finding the most accurate load for the bullets I have on hand for each caliber I have. I'll write it down in my load book and reference it when needed

F048410

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is it just me or does it seem like ammo prices are coming down the last couple of days? We can only hoard so much before the supply and demand catch up huh? And ammo companies will just keep pumping it out. I do wish they would pump out more 45, it is still kind of salty!
    Ammo is definitely the bottleneck

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    I like to find the best price on an item just as much as the next guy, however at this point I’d like to be able to walk in to my LGS and just find the components I want IN STOCK. It’s been very frustrating to work up a load and then have the rug pulled out from under you because the ammo that works well isn’t in stock and can’t even be back ordered.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Looking at gun broker im starting to see some 308 not getting bid on at a starting price of 1.20ish a round.things are starting to look better.
    Demand and prices have been fluctuating since March of 2020. Even though there has been times where the price has pulled back a bit, the trend on both has been higher and higher since last year. Thankfully, prices seem to have stabilized but things are going to go wild if we have a mass shooting in the next 2-3 months and Democrats begin aggressively pushing for new gun control laws to be passed.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    If and when supply ever exceeds demand, then we may see pricing that is more acceptable. Be conservative and dry fire drill until that time comes.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If and when supply ever exceeds demand, then we may see pricing that is more acceptable. Be conservative and dry fire drill until that time comes.
    I’m not really convinced that there is a supply issue. It appears more likely that what the ammo seeking community is experiencing is the same thing that has been done with graphics cards and game consoles. People use bots to purchase everything in stock online within seconds of it getting in stock. Those people are then selling on the secondarily market for double. It’s aweful and the only way to fix it is to go to in store sales only. I believe that is why bass pro and cabelas stopped selling online. They can tell on the back end that the inventory is getting sniped .

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I’m not really convinced that there is a supply issue. It appears more likely that what the ammo seeking community is experiencing is the same thing that has been done with graphics cards and game consoles. People use bots to purchase everything in stock online within seconds of it getting in stock. Those people are then selling on the secondarily market for double. It’s aweful and the only way to fix it is to go to in store sales only. I believe that is why bass pro and cabelas stopped selling online. They can tell on the back end that the inventory is getting sniped .

This is accurate.

Top Bottom