• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    maybe this is a dumb question and i searched for an answer, but since the weather is getting warmer and the interiors of cars out in the sun reach very high temperatures, what happens to ammo sitting in your trunk when it gets to be 120 degrees in there?

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    There was a thread on this about a week ago. Do some searching and you should be able to find it. My thoughts are no, it should be a problem. How are you planning on storing it.(lockbox, bag, ect...)

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    was just talked about not too long ago. Don't worry, but if you would like to read more about it, theres a recent thread where it was covered.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Our troops carry it regularly in much hotter temperatures than we see Indiana. You're OK. :) As a cautionary measure, shoot your carry ammunition at the end of summer and winter.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    This was the result of one 12 gauge slug being left in a car in July.

explosion-voiture-warner-704939.jpg

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I've often wondered the same thing but never been worried about it enough to take my ammo out of my truck. Always shoots fine and never had one blow up! (knock on wood now)

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    thanks guys...i was searching for ammo in car and not ammo getting hot i guess so thats why it wouldnt come up. so i guess there isnt much to worry about.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    For the most part, yeah there's nothing to worry about. I did get a follow up email from a Winchester Rep. Her personal suggestion was to rotate the ammo out at the end of the summer unless it has been a especially long/hot summer that year. In that case it should be rotated out about 1/2 way through the summer. The box you are rotating out should only be used for target ammo and not relied upon for personal protection. Her reason behind this was because the powder starts decomposition at 122f and may result in a few "failure to fire".

Keep in mind, she said this is her PERSONAL SUGGESTION but with all the facts obtained recently, this is advice I'm going to follow.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    For the most part, yeah there's nothing to worry about. I did get a follow up email from a Winchester Rep. Her personal suggestion was to rotate the ammo out at the end of the summer unless it has been a especially long/hot summer that year. In that case it should be rotated out about 1/2 way through the summer. The box you are rotating out should only be used for target ammo and not relied upon for personal protection. Her reason behind this was because the powder starts decomposition at 122f and may result in a few "failure to fire".

Keep in mind, she said this is her PERSONAL SUGGESTION but with all the facts obtained recently, this is advice I'm going to follow.

that makes the most sense. and it is probably a good thing to do.

Top Bottom