• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I seldomly buy a magazine, but recently picked up a copy of "American Frontiersman" and recommend it for some good, light winter reading. Price was a little high at almost $10, but I would buy again. I also noticed one of the editors is Nancy Tappan, which I believe is the wife of the late Mel Tappan (author of some excellent firearm related articles/books).

Anyone else have any winter reading suggestions?

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I got a copy, too. I saw it was the premier issue so that swayed me. It had some good articles but I'll withhold judgement until I see more issues.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I enjoy American Rifleman, which is the NRA's monthly publication (optional w/Membership). Reading it now in fact. They always have a page in the front listing successful defensive gun incidents. There are also great history pieces about soldiers, guns, hunters, etc. And of course, lots of modern firearms info and reviews.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Hey John - in my opinion, this first American Frontiersman is stronger than Backwoodsman magazine and had a better mix of articles. I occassionally pick up a copy of Backwoodsman and Backwoods Home just because I like the format. I had a subscription to Backwoods Home several years ago, but let it lapse because I just did not read enough of the articles.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I saw that the other day, almost picked one up. How does it compare to The Backwoodsman mag?

I like Backwoodsman better. It's hard to judge as this is the premier issue but....Aside from a neat snakebite story, a cool first aid kit option/suggestion, and a couple of other articles it was a bit lamer than I anticipated. The Horace kephart story and Davey Crockett story were bare bones and were not needed..(And I love Davy and Horace, the stories were just filler.)

It seems Backwoodman relies more on the readers and maybe after a couple of issues this one will to.

I did an experiment in my..Er..Um...Office when I got my issue. I read the new magazine and then just the letters to the Backwoodsman...There was more information in the letters to Backwoodsman than in the entire new magazine..

IMHO ofcourse lest my comments be constured as "testy".

SchwartzStock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Don't waste your money!

I was being rushed by my wife so bought a copy before I could really look it over. Once home I found it to be pretty superficial but what really turned me off was the article about buffalo hunting repeating all the same old liberal propaganda. This link is to a good article about the demise of the Bison recently published by Peterson: Was the Buffalo Hunted to Near Extinction? - Petersen's Hunting

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    It struck me as a glossy attempt at Backwoodsman with more fluff. I'd buy more but I certainly wouldn't put it above Backwoodsman. Backwoodsman was doing this long before it was cool.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    If you want real fluffy crap in a mag buy "American survival" I bought it the otherday at the grocery(issue 3) it looked ok on the surface but trust me after the article about the family security co. showing a group pic of them fingers on triggers and complete lack of muzzle discipline. I read how the bear gryls gerber is a great buy and into the burn box it went.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Dave - have you tried either NRA's American Hunter or Rifleman? I have switched back and forth between these magazines over the years and "Hunter" may be the format you are looking for.

Top Bottom