• ...and so much more!
  • snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    Had my ticket since 1969. There are too many callsign look-up sites for me to post my call on a gun forum. :nono:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    **9** checking in :ingo: General, then upgraded to Advanced in the early 90's. Passed the Extra written but could never pass the 20wpm code... when the code requirement changed in 2000(?), got the upgrade. Actually haven't been very active since upgrading, but getting more active again the last couple years.
    My old callsign was N9JVV. Is that reused after a certain time or could I re qualify and reclaim it?

With no code, the test is them just written only to get re-licensed?
    Correct, no morse tests anymore, just three written tests for Technician, General, or Extra. Novice and Advanced licenses are no longer available although existing licensees continue with their existing privileges.

N9JVV is available, beginning on 06/13/2002. You would have to get licensed and then apply for it as a vanity callsign. Previously held callsigns are made available 2 years after expiration under the vanity callsign program but are not reissued as sequentially issued calls.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Well, I took the Tech exam in Franklin this morning. Got 100%. So I'll be licensed again in a week or so.

Didn't realize that you could take the next exam for free if you passed. What the heck, took the General Class. Missed a few, but passed.

What the heck, took the Extra exam. Missed 19. (You can only miss 13 and pass.) Oh, well. Too many rules that I hadn't read about yet. And I forgot if it is positive or negative degrees with polar values for RL circuits...

Darn it. I don't even have a radio and I got the feeling that I'll be going back next month to get my Extra after a little study.

Guess I need to look for a radio. Probably start with a tri-band handi talkie first. I could see having some fun with packet radio.... Darn it. What have you guys got me back into? :D

N9JVV is available, beginning on 06/13/2002. You would have to get licensed and then apply for it as a vanity callsign. Previously held callsigns are made available 2 years after expiration under the vanity callsign program but are not reissued as sequentially issued calls.

Guess there is no reason to get a vanity Tech call sign, with a General License. I'll get Extra quick so I don't have to learn another call sign and replace.

Last edited:

92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    N9xxx - Extra Class
    Started in 1989 with Tech+ (+ meaning I passed 5 wpm code which gave me extra priveleges.) Never had time to practice and improve my code speed. When they dropped the code requirement I quickly upgraded to General and then Extra. Haven't been on the air since moving into my subdivision in 1993 with covenants against antennas. Also too many other hobbies and interests competing for resources of time and money. Plus, the ubiquity of cell phones and internet kind of takes the edge off of communicating around the world via radio.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I used to hold an Amateur Extra class license in the 80's but let it expire. My call sign then was KK9M. It's a great hobby but at that time, raising a family, I just couldn't justify the expense. It cost a lot of money to run with the big dogs on 75 meter phone.:laugh:

Advanced class here possibly getting extra in 2011 just to have

Still have my Novice call KA9###

I understand some people need to have all the newest latest & greatest gizwidgets but it cost's nothing to maintain the license.
    And you can have just as much fun with an old free radio than the latest $5000 newest latest & greatest Icom/yaesu/kenwood/elecraft/TenTec.
    Most of my antennas are wire. and the wire was recycled.
    The radio I just made a 40 meter contact with & most of my nightly schedules with Canadians in Ontario I bought new in 1993 and is 100 watts.

Not picking on you but just don't want a comment like this to run off any possible new canadates to the hobby

Been licenced since 9th grade in 1978

Farmritch

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    Tech here. Have dabbled in APRS, packet on vhf, don't some 'dx' work on vhf, played around with APRS through ISS. My biggest problem has been finding the time to keep up with the hobby. I listen a lot but just haven't found the time to advance my license. I'm still young though, plenty of time left to become a true OLD MAN.

Now that we are getting settled into our new home I am looking forward to these winter months. No better time to climb around and put up antennas and play radio. Hope to get something set up on 6 here soon. Got a Yaesu FT-817 that is getting angry in its box upstairs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Guess there is no reason to get a vanity Tech call sign, with a General License. I'll get Extra quick so I don't have to learn another call sign and replace.
    There's not much difference between Tech and General call groups anymore.... 1x3 N calls are all long gone, so little distinction between a vanity N9xxx or K9xxx or W9xxx. 1x2 and 2x1 Extra calls are pretty scarce in the vanity pool. A 2x2 isn't really much easier than a 1x3, just depends on whether you feel the need to advertise extraness.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    my original call was a tongue twister 2x3 so i opted for a store-bought whiskey niner 1x3 that is easier to spit out.

hill people like me sometimes aren't the most eloquent speakers so i bought myself a call that i didn't have to repeat over and over for the folks on the other end to copy.

yeah that's right, i said niner...

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    KC4YDJ (expired Tech + code). Flunked that damn 13 wpm code test three times, said screw it....... Lived in SC at the time.

10M phone worked all states.

Satellite radio (fun but expensive as h^*%.)

2M packet (is that still around?)

Maybe I'll re-up my ticket some day.

73 to all!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Good on you

I'm not a ham and have no clue what some of you just said but I know this much. If the S does truly HTF the hams with backup power will be the only ones who can communicate!

Good on you all!

Top Bottom