Am I over reacting? Or did I dodge a bullet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oh yes. Good to go in WVA. Just like VA. Except when you are prohibited.

If you're traveling by car, expect prohibition in VA rest stops.
    I think AL is prohibited by statute, without signs, at rest stops.

And TOTALLY agree. My pistol was loaded. But the chamber was empty when I picked it up out of the door pocket.
    I'm thinking that chambering a round is what saved everyone a TON of conversation and grief.
    I would never advocate breaking laws, but it sounds as if the last place anyone would want to be unarmed is at a rest stop?

Do truck stops and gas stations in those states have the same sort of regulation?

If the jackers would have cased you leaving your vehicle initially (and aware they are in a no gun zone,) they could have caught you coming back to your vehicle with hands full, before you could have armed yourself at all?

Last edited:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I would never advocate breaking laws, but it sounds as if the last place anyone would want to be unarmed is at a rest stop?

Do truck stops and gas stations in those states have the same sort of regulation?

If the jackers would have cased you leaving your vehicle initially (and aware they are in a no gun zone,) they could have caught you coming back to your vehicle with hands full, before you could have armed yourself at all?
    Not getting an argument from me. If we'd been in SC or NC or TN, there would have been a different outcome.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would have been carrying at that rest stop. Concealed is concealed and I don't think a carjacker is going to call the law on ya. :cool:
    Lot to be said for carrying all of time. It means you are always practiced.

Practiced at carry, practiced at concealment, practiced at the draw.

So many folks are out of sorts, telegraphing their awkwardness and insecurity while carrying, because they are not practiced. They overcompensate and shift around their uncomfortable gun and gear, giving away concealment.

If one were to carry where they are not supposed to, (not that I would, ;)) it would make good sense to have an escape plan also. Karen's are out there...
    Quick access to your mask, backed into parking spot, etc.

bcod151

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    LA PORTE
    Him taking off after seeing or hearing you chamber and holster your weapon makes it suspicious he wasn't just a nice guy admiring your vehicle.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I would certainly advocate breaking the law. Concealed means concealed, even if in this case you didn’t know the law. I would ignore it and do what I felt best.

That being said, it sounds like the actual action of racking the slide is what deescalated the situation (score one for captain depends am I right?)
    We always preach be ready, but sometimes things have a way of working out.

Curious to know, you said you racked the slide and they were just gone. Were there many other distractions around; noise, movement? It’s interesting to me that you looked down, looked up and they were gone. If they were more intent on getting what they wanted that could have turned out differently. They’re actually the ones that fled to keep the peace, even though they were the instigators.

We talk a lot about situational awareness, but in the moment it is hard to do.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've pushed car bodies with a tractor, and I know it would depend on the vehicle, but can you push a car out of the way on pavement from a standstill?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Oh yes. Good to go in WVA. Just like VA. Except when you are prohibited.

If you're traveling by car, expect prohibition in VA rest stops.
    I think AL is prohibited by statute, without signs, at rest stops.

And TOTALLY agree. My pistol was loaded. But the chamber was empty when I picked it up out of the door pocket.
    I'm thinking that chambering a round is what saved everyone a TON of conversation and grief.

So racking a slide does make thugs scurry?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've pushed car bodies with a tractor, and I know it would depend on the vehicle, but can you push a car out of the way on pavement from a standstill?

Generally, yes. Ideally you don't want to ram it, you want to make contact then start applying more and more throttle. If you're in a SMART car and it's a dually, then you're probably out of luck, but given a reasonable match in size you can push a parked vehicle around.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Generally, yes. Ideally you don't want to ram it, you want to make contact then start applying more and more throttle. If you're in a SMART car and it's a dually, then you're probably out of luck, but given a reasonable match in size you can push a parked vehicle around.
    If he was driving a smart car, this wouldnt have happened. LOL

(note distinctive lack of purple) :):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Redhood
    Top Bottom