Am I over reacting? Or did I dodge a bullet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If he was driving a smart car, this wouldnt have happened. LOL

(note distinctive lack of purple) :):

I can also tell you with some authority that SMART cars can provide concealment, but not cover.
    So then, should we practice slide racking as a viable method to scare off bad guys? With a loaded gun?

It's not exactly controversial that the display, either auditory or visually, of a firearm often ends a potential encounter before it gets to the shots fired level. Or are you somehow making the leap that because it sometimes works I, or anyone other than Shotgun Joe, is advocating for total reliance on display alone ending the encounter?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...the display, either auditory or visually, of a firearm often ends a potential encounter before it gets to the shots fired level.

I understand. Just trying to figure an appropriate method to bring the pistol into the mix, when it's loaded and concealed on your belt?

Raise cover garment to expose? Draw? Rack slide of loaded gun?

Just trying to figure how this might be done, when you are not at home in your castle?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I understand. Just trying to figure an appropriate method to bring the pistol into the mix, when it's loaded and concealed on your belt?

There's no one size fits all answer. I mean, a guy 30 feet away talking about God is Coming while waving a machete is not the guy at your window at a red light pointing a pistol in your face, etc.

Maybe draw to a low ready and assess. Maybe begin the draw stroke with the intent to fire. Just depends.

I would not advocate racking the slide just to draw attention to it, although sometimes bad guys do it. Often ejecting a round with a lovely fingerprint on it. I think sometimes it's nervousness on the condition of the weapon as well, as I've seen guys eject 2-3 rounds and their body language showed how nervous they were.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Just trying to figure how this might be done, when you are not at home in your castle?

Every night time traffic stop I've ever had (as the suspect, of course) the cop has walked up to the window with his hand on his firearm. I'm not the smartest man, but the message was pretty clearly received.

I wouldn't just walk around everywhere with my hand on my gun, but that first step is a pretty clear "shown me you're ready to shoot me without actually showing me you're ready to shoot me." Somebody acting that sketchy, I believe that would be a reasonable response.

I've had one or two questionable circumstances where I just rested my wrist on my holstered, concealed, firearm while whoever was doing whatever (pan handers, time askers in odd circumstances, etc). A couple noticed right away and stepped off, a couple didn't. Those too dumb to notice weren't looking for trouble. I'll never know about the ones that did notice.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    One night in downtown Louisville my wife and I were walking back to our hotel when 3 dindunuffins started following us. I instructed my wife to continue up the sidewalk get across the intersection and be ready to call 911.
    I lifted my concealment placed my hand on my gun as I turned to ask if there was a problem. They turned tail and ran before I got to use my Steel Challenge skills.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It can for sure. Most random robbers aren't that dedicated to any given robbery. Living to rob another day is more important than robbing any given individual. Raise the risks and they often act accordingly, especially if they are relying on strong arm tactics.

Maybe another reason for OC

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So then, should we practice slide racking as a viable method to scare off bad guys? With a loaded gun?
    Man, you need to watch more movies. They’ll show ya.
    It amazes me how they get away with being in the middle of crazy stuff, they draw or get a gun handed to them or get ready to go around a corner, and load. All the trouble to make a movie and they’re that dumb.

On second thought, maybe they’re trying to make us dumb…

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Every night time traffic stop I've ever had (as the suspect, of course) the cop has walked up to the window with his hand on his firearm. I'm not the smartest man, but the message was pretty clearly received.

I wouldn't just walk around everywhere with my hand on my gun, but that first step is a pretty clear "shown me you're ready to shoot me without actually showing me you're ready to shoot me." Somebody acting that sketchy, I believe that would be a reasonable response.

I've had one or two questionable circumstances where I just rested my wrist on my holstered, concealed, firearm while whoever was doing whatever (pan handers, time askers in odd circumstances, etc). A couple noticed right away and stepped off, a couple didn't. Those too dumb to notice weren't looking for trouble. I'll never know about the ones that did notice.
    I think that's a good idea. However, you get into pretty touchy areas, if mistaken and a threat isn't. Lotta things a karen can do to make your day go really bad, if they are motivated to do so.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Given the scenario I don't think you overreacted. I remember past times in parking lots where people would be selling candy or needed gas money and would just stroll right up. Always felt off and I always felt like I was gonna get stuck/shot/robbed. I keep my head on a swivel now, everywhere.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I think that's a good idea. However, you get into pretty touchy areas, if mistaken and a threat isn't. Lotta things a karen can do to make your day go really bad, if they are motivated to do so.

As long as what I do isn't illegal, they can Karen about it all they want. I'm unlikely to be one of the viral cases of people using ethnic slurs or other questionable behaviors during the exchange.

Walking up to that situation with my hand on my holstered, conspicuous, firearm and a "Can I help you with anything?" is a chance I'm willing to take in the court of social media. If I get it so badly wrong that I have to explain myself in a real court, it's still better than the alternative.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Given the scenario I don't think you overreacted. I remember past times in parking lots where people would be selling candy or needed gas money and would just stroll right up. Always felt off and I always felt like I was gonna get stuck/shot/robbed. I keep my head on a swivel now, everywhere.

Legit one of the times I rested my arm on my concealed firearm while explaining I didn't have any cash. The message was received and he moved on quickly. First, last, and only time I stopped at Benton Harbor Michigan gas station despite working there for months.

This guy was clearly a tweeker and I didn't feel like getting stabbed. Someone less clearly tweeker-ish would have been treated with softer gloves.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I was taught to stare with a blank expression at crazy people by a slightly less crazy person.

I normally can spot crazy at 20 meters or so. I also learned this trick called “concealed draw”. So sometimes the crazy has a pop gun on them while being crazy.

Truckstops are havens for all kinds of freaks and dangerous people including serial killers.
    Rest areas tend to have a desperate people vibe and other assorted evil actors.
    Gas Stations are a automatic danger zone.

Don’t tread where bad things happen and be shocked when they happen.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I took a 10 day car trip south at the beginning of the month. Just me.

Careful to observe all local gun laws as best as I could google them. And I think I did pretty well.
    Left my pistol in the car in VA since the rest stops had signs.
    Was unsure in WVA, and that's where things got interesting.

Left my pistol in my door pocket in a premium SUV. Went inside and did the bio break and came back with a bag of food and drink.
    Since it is a premium SUV, I parked a bit away from the crowd. And when I walked to the car, noticed that someone was maneuvering to back up bumper to bumper with my tailgate. A little odd.

Walked past the front of my car and hit the remote. Put my food and drinks in the passenger seat and walked behind my car and the one butted up behind me to get a good view of what was going on. Just enough room. But I wasn't going to back out of the lot. No Spidey sense going off yet.

Walk to driver's door and open it. And here's where things get odd in retrospect.

A KIA Soul (purple/blue) pulls in front of my vehicle and stops - drivers door is facing me 3/4 in front of my parking space. Effectively blocking my exit from my parking space. (and the car behind me that is backed in?)

Late 20's guy gets out of the KIA on the far (passenger) side and walks behind the KIA to the front of my SUV.

I'm doing a press check on my pistol, standing at the driver's door, as he looks at me ands say's, "Sir, this is a REALLY BEAUTIFUL automobile you are driving today".

I never press check. I always have a round in the chamber. But I didn't this time.

So I rack the slide. And I'm beginning to worry.

And holster my pistol.

And look up to answer him. And he is gone. The KIA is gone.

And the car blocking me from behind is leaving.

And I think I got very lucky.
    Rest areas are a place where my safety trumps the law!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Rest areas are a place where my safety trumps the law!
    Man, all this talk about rest stops being the epitome of danger!
    In over a million miles of highway roadtrips and a few hundred nights sleeping in my car in rest stops around the country I have never had a sketchy encounter in one.
    Urban quick marts, a couple of times. Out in the woods a couple of times, and once when the drunk driver who hit me got mad when I was calling the cops, but no rest stops yet.

Top Bottom