Am I over reacting? Or did I dodge a bullet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I took a 10 day car trip south at the beginning of the month. Just me.

Careful to observe all local gun laws as best as I could google them. And I think I did pretty well.
    Left my pistol in the car in VA since the rest stops had signs.
    Was unsure in WVA, and that's where things got interesting.

Left my pistol in my door pocket in a premium SUV. Went inside and did the bio break and came back with a bag of food and drink.
    Since it is a premium SUV, I parked a bit away from the crowd. And when I walked to the car, noticed that someone was maneuvering to back up bumper to bumper with my tailgate. A little odd.

Walked past the front of my car and hit the remote. Put my food and drinks in the passenger seat and walked behind my car and the one butted up behind me to get a good view of what was going on. Just enough room. But I wasn't going to back out of the lot. No Spidey sense going off yet.

Walk to driver's door and open it. And here's where things get odd in retrospect.

A KIA Soul (purple/blue) pulls in front of my vehicle and stops - drivers door is facing me 3/4 in front of my parking space. Effectively blocking my exit from my parking space. (and the car behind me that is backed in?)

Late 20's guy gets out of the KIA on the far (passenger) side and walks behind the KIA to the front of my SUV.

I'm doing a press check on my pistol, standing at the driver's door, as he looks at me ands say's, "Sir, this is a REALLY BEAUTIFUL automobile you are driving today".

I never press check. I always have a round in the chamber. But I didn't this time.

So I rack the slide. And I'm beginning to worry.

And holster my pistol.

And look up to answer him. And he is gone. The KIA is gone.

And the car blocking me from behind is leaving.

And I think I got very lucky.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Probably some experienced criminals going for something under those circumstances. Or maybe ive just been watching to much criminal minds...
    That's the weird part!!

Maybe I was over reacting. But I wasn't.
    Maybe I was just being paranoid. But I wasn't.

If I'd known the rules on WVA rest stops, I'd have left my pistol in my holster.
    And the more I think about it, the more I'm confident there would have been a conflict.

Would I have been attentive enough?
    A ton of second guessing that I NEVER thought I'd do.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    That's the weird part!!

Maybe I was over reacting. But I wasn't.
    Maybe I was just being paranoid. But I wasn't.

If I'd known the rules on WVA rest stops, I'd have left my pistol in my holster.
    And the more I think about it, the more I'm confident there would have been a conflict.

Would I have been attentive enough?
    A ton of second guessing that I NEVER thought I'd do.
    Id just let them take the vehicle if thats what they were after to avoid conflict. Those are easily replaced. WVA doesnt seem like a place terribly worried about guns though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lots of danger cues. Blocking you in. Multiple unknown contacts. Random conversation as a means to close the gap. Age range that's pretty solid for carjackers (the older robbers get, the more likely they are to stick to chain stores/gas stations and the less likely they are to actually be armed...younger robbers are more likely to be armed and more likely to target individuals...and be violent).

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    You’re safe. That’s all that matters. In retrospect, what do you feel you could have done differently? (Other than the obvious always have one chambered).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And always trust your gut. I had a similar incident in a bad part of town. TL;DR I made the mistake of shoving a wad of cash into my front pocket as I got out of my car. A guy beeboping across the lot suddenly tried to get my attention by hailing me "Excuse me, sir. SIR!" He kept calling but I realized what I had done and kept walking like I didnt hear him. He didnt follow me into the store. He also didnt try to hail the other local after he got past my car and approached the other guy as he continued on. (I watched him from inside the store) So he obviously didnt need to know what time it was, etc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wow sounds like your timing was just ahead of theirs.

I bet you'll never forget to have have your gun loaded again?

Ever find out what the carry law is in WVA?

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You’re safe. That’s all that matters. In retrospect, what do you feel you could have done differently? (Other than the obvious always have one chambered).
    Well there's the rub. If I had walked in to, and out of, the rest stop with my firearm holstered; I'd have been the perfect victim in their eyes. - but it would have really sucked for everyone in a hurry.

And that's what I would have done if I hadn't had a conversation with my host as I was leaving his home in VA a few hours previously and he and his wife noticing my pistol.

If I hadn't dropped the mag, cleared the weapon and talked firearms with my friends for a few minutes... It would have been in an entirely different chain of events.

The bad guys would have tried to take my keys and automobile.

If the squirrel with the hat had never posted about press checks a few years ago (i think it was him) I never would have checked... and racked my slide prior to holstering.

I'm thinking that press check and slide rack saved a life. Maybe mine. Maybe someone else.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Wow sounds like your timing was just ahead of theirs.

I bet you'll never forget to have have your gun loaded again?

Ever find out what the carry law is in WVA?
    Oh yes. Good to go in WVA. Just like VA. Except when you are prohibited.

If you're traveling by car, expect prohibition in VA rest stops.
    I think AL is prohibited by statute, without signs, at rest stops.

And TOTALLY agree. My pistol was loaded. But the chamber was empty when I picked it up out of the door pocket.
    I'm thinking that chambering a round is what saved everyone a TON of conversation and grief.

Top Bottom