• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Many people plan for STHF someday, but how many people ever plan for having to care for a parent or loved one should they become incapacitated?

My mom has Alzheimer’s. Although she still knows me, I don’t know that she truly knows who I am. When I first started helping with cleaning her house three years ago, she would ask my sister if the maid was coming today. Although I technically am still her maid, I think I may have an actual name now. She doesn’t call me by it, but my sister and niece claim she refers to me by name sometimes.

My sister lives with my mom and is her primary caretaker. My niece and I are her secondary caretakers. I help out with my mom on weekdays and whenever my sister and niece go out of town. I’ve always stayed with my mom to watch her while my sister was away. When she is in her own environment and has her own routine she is only mildly confused when I am there instead of my sister.

Last Wednesday my sister and niece left for a library conference and left my mom and her golden retriever to stay with me this time. Because of the timing of the trip I couldn’t stay with her. It has been a very confusing week for my mom. She has finally settled in here although she doesn’t really understand where here is. She will be confused again when she goes home. Anytime her normal routine is changed she is “lost” for a few days until she feels secure again.

I never knew much about Alzheimer’s. I thought it just robbed you of your memories. I didn’t have any idea of all the areas of a person’s life it invades and affects. Simple everyday movements that seem automatic and natural to me are very complicated and frustrating to my mom. Simple commands such as stand up, sit down, walk this way and lay down are met with blank stares as if they have been spoken in a foreign language. It’s as if my mom has an extreme case of ADD and I am trying to get and keep her attention so that I can keep her safe.

Due to the progression of the Alzheimer’s my mom doesn’t recognize that she has a left side of her body. (She was tested for a stroke, she didn’t have one) Due to this phenomenon she needs assistance to sit down safely. Since she doesn’t account for the left side of her body she often sits half way on a chair or tries to sit on the arm rest. I try to help guide her in the right direction so she doesn’t fall off the chair or hurt her butt sitting on something she shouldn’t. I usually have to move her legs in front of her when she is sitting in a kitchen chair to help her face the table.

Trying to get my mom out of a chair is sometimes just as difficult as getting her to sit in it. She often doesn’t understand when I tell her she needs to stand up. She will start to try to get up and then sits back down. Then she looks at me blankly and I have to keep repeating my request trying to simplify the words so she can understand. A few nights ago it was a toss-up as to which one of us was closer to tears. She was frustrated that she didn’t understand and I was frustrated that I couldn’t help her to understand. It always distresses me when I unintentionally upset her. She gives me the doe in the headlights look and it makes me feel horrible. Unfortunately this is a common occurrence with my mom. She doesn’t understand my request and I feel like I have failed her because I can’t simplify it enough and I am not strong enough to always move her so she doesn’t have to do it herself. These exchanges leave me so emotionally drained and exhausted. It puts me in a mental funk.

Last night it was trying to get her into bed. I tried to show her how to get into to bed but it ended up being an ordeal and she got confused and frustrated. I worry about her sleep position. I worry that she will roll on her stomach and suffocate because she isn’t strong enough to roll herself over. A daughter shouldn’t have to worry about such things happening to their mother.

Meal time is a chore too. I have to become super nag to make sure she eats her food. I cut her food up into small bites and then I keep telling her to eat when she starts to get distracted. She will lay her utensils on the table so I keep putting them back on the plate or near the bowl. Even small meals can take a half hour or more to finish.

My mom will be 80 in March but she is like a small child hiding in an old woman’s body. Just as you must hide your fear with a child so as not to upset them, the same is true of a person with Alzheimer’s. No matter how sad I feel, I always smile and put on a happy face for my mom. After all, she doesn’t know that there is anything wrong with her and I’m not going to tell her.

I admit I haven’t read as much as I should about Alzheimer’s. But the here and now is sad enough without borrowing from the future. I just can’t deal with any more sad realities right now. I go to my mom’s doctor appointments with her. I settle for the doctor’s preview of what’s to come.

The past week with my mom has opened my eyes to how much work it is to take care of someone else fulltime. My hope is that others on INGO who have family members or friends who are caretakers might take a little time out of their schedule to help these people out. If nothing else sitting with the person they care for so they can run errands or take a much needed nap. To you in might not seem like much but to an overburdened caretaker it can mean a lot.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I saw your post and I just could not ignore it. My heart sure goes out to you. If you are not offended, I would like to keep you in my prayers.

Reading what you wrote made tears come to my eyes. I helped care for my MIL for over 5 years. She had Alzheimers as well. I don't know if this is helpful to you but was very much a help to me. As I watched my MIL go from wondering what in the world was wrong with her to complete lack of awareness; it helped me to remind myself that her anguish was over even though in some ways mine was just beginning. It was so painful to hear her say 'I don't know what is wrong with me.'

Please take comfort in knowing that you are doing all that you can do for her and that many people are unwillling to do so. It is hurtful to see extended family members ignore your loved one because they don't know what to say or do.

Some tips:

Familiarity is her friend. The less that changes the better. (Not always possible, I know.)
    Does music, the TV etc. soothe her. My MIL was 84 and she loved the old TV shows, and music from her era. (MIL - Lawrence Welk)
    Don't fuss about what she eats. Anything she will eat, let her have it. (MIL - candy, donuts - not healthy, so what!)
    Try to keep a routine - obviously the same caregiver is ideal but not practical.
    Get plenty of rest and relaxation yourself. You DO need time off consistently.
    These folks generally love to be around children - limited time though is best.

Please feel free to contact me any time. Been there, done that. These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. My MIL died five years ago in March.

:yesway: You are AWESOME!

Hang in there! I guess the most important thing to remember is that the time may and probably will come when you are unable to manage her at home. THIS IS NOT FAILURE!

As I have cared both for my inlaws and my own parents until their deaths, I tried to view this time as a chance for me to care for them as they did so long for me.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've had several people in my life die from Alzheimer's. It's an incredibly ugly, horrible disease. You have my sympathy and I know exactly what you're dealing with.

To everyone else: Get long-term care insurance RIGHT NOW. If you have elderly parents, start planning for the transfer of their assets to you BEFORE they get sick. Actually, it needs to be more than 5 years before they get sick or you may face the very real possibility of handing over all of their assets to pay for their care.

My latest relative cost a little over $4,000/month for care and it was not covered by any insurance. It decimated her retirement savings and the money she was going to leave to her kids because she had no long-term care insurance.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've had several people in my life die from Alzheimer's. It's an incredibly ugly, horrible disease. You have my sympathy and I know exactly what you're dealing with.

To everyone else: Get long-term care insurance RIGHT NOW. If you have elderly parents, start planning for the transfer of their assets to you BEFORE they get sick. Actually, it needs to be more than 5 years before they get sick or you may face the very real possibility of handing over all of their assets to pay for their care.

My latest relative cost a little over $4,000/month for care and it was not covered by any insurance. It decimated her retirement savings and the money she was going to leave to her kids because she had no long-term care insurance.
    +1 on the long term care insurance. And do it now! As currently set up if you apply after age 65 you will have to do a full medical exam. Before then you have to answer questions truthfully on the form and be prepared for a phone interview. It is expensive but it will protect your assets. You can also get a plan that will protect your income but it is a very expensive add.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Definitely get the long term care insurance.

Another thing to consider for anyone else dealing with Alzheimer's or any other debilitating illness is to get power of attorney established ASAP. Also any wills and living wills need to be updated as well while they are still of sound mind. My sister has POA. Mom just had a CAT scan done a few weeks ago and Reid wouldn't give her the results without the POA.

Another thing is if the spouse of the person you are caring for is deceased, make sure you have a copy of the death certificate. My dad died 3 days before Christmas, 15 years ago and we had to furnish his death certificate to one of my mom's banks a few weeks ago when we were taking care of some of her financial business.

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This got my Dad 1-25-04. Tried real hard not to post anything. You are in for a ride. Best you can do is follow PAMom's advice. It's very good. Do what you can, as well as you can, for as long as you can. Try hard to live with no regrets. So sorry to hear this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is truly one of the more difficult aspects of life. It's really tough once the formal diagnosis has been made and you can't continue to dismiss the obvious signs with other explanations anymore. It's another example of how unfair life really is.

I'm not sure if it's worse to see a loved member of the family slowly dying mentally and then physically, or to have them take from your suddenly and unexpectedly. Both suck for sure.

Patience is something that is needed in abundance. When your personal limit comes to its end, then finding more is necessary.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I used to manage an Alzheimer's unit. It's a horrible disease. I feel for you.

It sounds like lewis body dementia.

PAmom's advice is good. Remember to try not to bring them back to reality, but try to adapt yourself into theirs.

Change is honestly one of the worst things for an alzheimers patient to cope with. I've dealt with the grossly violent, and the infantile stages.

The hardest thing is the end stage disease, for the family at least. The person is long gone, but the body is still here. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what's helpful and harmful.

If she has any meds, make sure she fets them on time, every time. A missed dose if an alzheimer med can have detrimental effects on cognitive function. So far they can't regain with meds, but they prolong the loss.

I have other things to say regarding this, but I feel I can't adequately express the load being an ALZ caretaker can put on someone.

Have you all looked into homecare for a shift a day? Or adult day care?

Just getting an 8 hour break can reduce huge amounts of stress.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Am in the same place with my 90 year old father. The stories I could tell.....The only thing that keeps me going is having a sense of humor about it. You are lucky to have other siblings that take up some of the responsibility. There are 5 of us and only my older brother and I do anything. The others don't see him, ask about him or offer any assistance. It has caused problems within the family that I never expected. This is the kind of situation where you find out what people are made of.

Just love her as much as you can and stay strong, even when it seems impossible.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Wish I lived near enough to give you gals a hand. Hang in there!

Do you have home health services available that can lend a hand? When I cared for my Dad as he was dying of cancer, we were able to utilize home health services a few hours a week.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Many people plan for STHF someday, but how many people ever plan for having to care for a parent or loved one should they become incapacitated?

It's one of the reasons I routinely post my "SHTF" statistics that outline that for almost all of us, SHTF isn't a major social collapse or widespread disaster, it's these things that are far more likely to happen.

My sympathies to you for it. My father is dying of Alzheimer's currently, though he's too far away for me to have to deal with it, I've been trying to support my sister who is caring for him. It and cancer were two of the most devastating illnesses I saw when working as an EMT and doing routine transports.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Thanks

Wish I lived near enough to give you gals a hand. Hang in there!

Do you have home health services available that can lend a hand? When I cared for my Dad as he was dying of cancer, we were able to utilize home health services a few hours a week.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

That is so sweet of you. Thank you so much for your warm thoughts.

Richmond does offer various senior services. My sister and I have attended the last few Caring for the Caregiver conferences and talked with several providers of local geriatric programs. We aren’t currently utilizing any of them. Unfortunately I have no real control over my mom’s care options. My sister is in denial about the extent of my mom’s condition.

I have tried to talk my sister into adult daycare but she doesn’t think my mom would be willing to go without Chance, their golden retriever. In all honesty, that may be true. My niece and I tease that Chance is the favorite grandchild and she really is. My mom may not know who we are but she knows who the dog is. The only time she has gotten out her chair to wander while she has been here has been to look for the dog. As long as she knows where Chance is, she is calm and relaxed.

My sister lives with my mom. She gets my mom up in the morning, helps her dress, feeds her breakfast, gets her in her chair with the TV on and then goes to work. She monitors her activities via grannie cam (Guardian) over the internet while she is at work. She works a few minutes away and my niece lives a couple miles down the road from my mom’s house. I am 15 minutes away. They believe that since we have the cameras and all mom does is watch TV all day and doesn’t really move around too much no one needs to be there full time.

I go to my mom’s around lunch time, feed her lunch and visit with her. I also do any housework or laundry that needs done and walk their dog. On Wednesdays I give her a bath. After lunch I tell her I’m going to give her a bath. She hears “mom, I’m going to drown you in the river.” She gets that doe in the headlights look and gets all confused. She’s like a little kid in that regard. She gets all stressed over the thought of a bath but then once it’s over and she’s back in her chair all is well again.

My niece may or may not check in throughout the day on my mom but is close by if needed. She will stop in to feed her supper if my sister has to work late.

There is a lot of denial on my sister’s part. I am the one who has bought all of the walkers, canes, toilet supports and shower grab bars to make things safer for my mom. Once I install them my sister thinks they are a good idea.
    I am currently pushing for a hospital bed or something similar so mom has something to grab onto to get into bed. My sister is afraid my mom will think that we think there is something wrong with her if we get her a hospital bed.

I do the best I can with what I have to work with. Do I like the current arrangement, not particularly, do I have any control over it, no.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    It is definitely tough when family is in denial or flatly refuses to participate. When I cared for my Dad only 2 out of 5 participated in his care - same for the situation with my MIL. The others sure can give advice though!:xmad:

Another thought. Your parents (both of you gals) may be eligible for hospice services. Not sure what the difference would be from state to state. Here in PA, you basically sign over their Medicare benefits to the hospice - they then provide visiting nurses, meds, home health aides (bathing, light housekeeping, limited eldersitting & meal prep) and hospital services when needed. You do have the option to cancel hospice at any time. As with everything there are pros and cons.

When My Dad was ill, I refused hospice. I am a registered nurse and wanted to make all decisions for care, myself. (with his input as he was able) We did use some limited home health services, although I retained complete control over his meds and worked personally with his physician.

A good physician and staff can be a tremendous help to you. I recommend that you use them all you can, they can help make your life easier. My Dad had an awesome DR. who was willing to field my calls anytime and we adjusted his meds every few days.

I can't say this too much - take care of yourself. You need down time. You need to have a life outside of this crisis. Don't ever feel guilty for taking a break. It is critical!

Please feel free to PM me anytime. I may not be able to physically help but, would be glad to be a listening ear if that would help.

Be good to yourself!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Tell your sister to go away for 2 weeks, then she will see. Or videotape here once weekly.

Sadly It's like watching a kid grow uP, as parents, we don't notice...but family says "man, you've shot up overnight!"

Alzheimer's is kind up like growing up, but in reverse.

Talk to your sister about guardianship and power of attorney. You both need to talk now before arguing ensues. Perhaps you should be POA as you can make more objective decisions bc you can see the most change...as you are not with her every day.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My sister picked my mom up last night and I told her how confused mom had been. I helped her walk my mom to the car. Mom stopped at my porch steps for a couple minutes refusing to step close to them because she was afraid of falling even though I had an arm and my sister had the other. She did finally get close enough to the steps to step down but it was a perfect example of what I had been telling my sister earlier. We just took mom to the neurologist less than a month ago and she's still trying to get the CAT scan results. It’s just the disease progression.

I did tell my sister about the Lewy body dementia and sent her a link so she could read about it too. Although she doesn’t have all of the symptoms I do think she has Parkinson like symptoms sometimes.

My mom belongs with my sister. I am in no position to be her POA or primary caregiver. I have to go back to work very soon, I have life changes I have to make. I have spent the last couple years focusing more on my mom than finding a suitable job. Unfortunately I need to find a job in middle management and I will probably have to commute again. I will still help when I can. I will in no way be abandoning her. My niece will take over my daytime caregiver responsibilities when the time comes. If she can’t handle them then I am sure Adult Daycare may very well be a possibility.

I went to moms today to feed her lunch and give her a bath. She seemed very happy to be home. She wasn't even as stressed as she usually is over having to have a bath. For now, home is where she belongs.

Top Bottom