ALWAYS make sure the animal is dead before you get too close.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    A little language and a dying deer so - NSFW.

LiveLeak.com - The Deer Hunter

So many mistakes here.

1.) Shot placement was apparently bad, but that can be alleviated by just shooting the thing again

2.) They apparently didn't let the thing lie long enough after shooting it. Don't shoot a deer and just jump down and start kicking at it!

3.) Approach the animal with a gun pointed at it - ready to shoot it again if need be. I haven't had to do this one yet, as I generally make sure they're dead before I walk up to them.

Moral of the story: don't jump right out of your stand and kick the deer.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My oldest brother taught me to hunt and he taught me to approach ready to shoot. If he looks like he's going to stay dead, approach cautiously and poke him in the eye with the muzzle. If he moves, put the round through his eye.

willytlucas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Boone
    I can say with a certain level of embarrassment that i have done that. I was thirteen and it was my first hunt. The buck came running through the woods, I clicked off my safety and he stopped dead in his tracks. He was 20 yards directly in front of me broadside. Shot him right in the heart, he ran 15 yards, slammed into a tree and fell. In my excitement I hopped right out of my stand and got to him just in time to watch his last breath. I had the shotgun at the ready but I was a little hasty getting out of the stand.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Zombieland: the double tap
    Rule 4: Doubletap: Carrying a gun is a great idea but it should never be your primary weapon. When you do end up using it for that last-minute ‘oh ****’ moment remember to double tap. If your attacked by zobmies why skimp? One bullet more in the head will go a long way to ensuring your survival.

Apparently applies to deer hunting

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A good name for that vid would be "A Bad Time to Be in a Hurry". :laugh:

I was taught to let them lie for several minutes prior to approaching, and as Bubba Effect mentioned, poke the eye with the muzzle. I generally let them lie for about 20 minutes, especially during archery. But there have been a couple of times when I've approached sooner than that after I watched them drop in their tracks and cease all movement after a few twitches.

Last edited:

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Looks like you can see his eye twitch as he is approaching him. I think I jumped back in my chair a couple feet when he jumped up lol. I always try to wait at least 30 minutes after a shot before I start tracking or climb down, but I do get impatient if it's a decent buck :):

I'll usually give my squirrels or deer a poke with the muzzle from as far away as I can and ask them ''you dead yet?''. Picked that one up from my grandpa, rip.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I would have needed a pants change! I had a different experience however...

A couple years ago during bow season, I shot a medium sized doe. Clipped the bottom of her lungs as I found out later. Gave her 30 min then started tracking. When I came to a clearing in the corn field the trail stopped... Crap! I look around and see her laying on her side with her head up looking at me. She appeared calm and in no apparent distress, but knew she couldn't be far off or she would have ran. I circled around behind her, and away from her hooves. She watched me approach and didn't alarm. I knelt down behind her back, and rubbed her head between her ears. I had my knife at the ready (Bow season, so shooting her with my sidearm was not legal.) but she just laid her head down, gave a couple small kicks (why I approached from behind and stayed away from the hooves) and went peacefully.

Yes, there was no way for me to be sure she wouldn't have one last surge and connect with a hoof. I sized up my scene and took a chance. Slightly foolish? Maybe, but I ended up with my most memorable hunt and surreal experience with wild life to date. Every hunt and every time I harvest game I always say a quick prayer of thanks and feel connected to my grandpa who was an avid outdoorsman when my brother & I were young bucks, and before teaching us to hunt.

Below is my daughter with that doe. Her first experience with a deer, and she helped daddy process her. She now looks forward to my wife & I hunting each year!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Have we learned nothing from watching The Walking Dead!

the-walking-dea-ar-15-mistake-season-4.jpg

TheWalkingDeadS03E03.jpg

"The Walking Dead" Missing Rear Sight Myth-buster Special - YouTube

Top Bottom