• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    We are looking to switch from Verizon to something cheaper, and we want to keep our existing iPhone's. I have been researching as much as possible, but it seems as clear as mud to me once they start talking about sim cards and "breaking" phones. Has anybody switched to something else that can explain in layman's (old geezer if you prefer) terms exactly what is involved?

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    We are looking to switch from Verizon to something cheaper, and we want to keep our existing iPhone's. I have been researching as much as possible, but it seems as clear as mud to me once they start talking about sim cards and "breaking" phones. Has anybody switched to something else that can explain in layman's (old geezer if you prefer) terms exactly what is involved?

No, this old geezer can't, but you might try going to ting.com and call or chat with them about your question. I bet they can tell you what's involved (and they have good rates as well).

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    As long as they're iPhone 5S's or newer (5S, 6, 6S, 6S+, etc)... they can be unlocked from Verizon with a code that they provide to you, and it will then work on AT&T.

AT&T GoPhone Pre paid plans are pretty good and cheap too. I think once it's unlocked and able to work on AT&T, it should be good to work on T-Mobile as well, but I wouldn't sacrifice quality of service with them. I would only use AT&T or Verizon.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    I use Cricket wireless. They are owned by AT&T. I pay $35 a month plan for unlimited talk and text and 2.5 gigabytes data. To get that price so you have to be in the auto pay plan which takes the money off of your card automatically.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My wife uses Straight talk. $50/mo no contract. Works well. You just have to get Verizon to unlock your handset. They are required by law, provided the contract is up and your account is in good standing. Ask customer service for a "carrier unlock".

Buy a Straight talk SIM from them for about $10 (or $60 that includes the first month's service).

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/po...q2JkFJ0nJSyN_CbUstZQfpJwti2VaLs7Albj8x8/#BYOP

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Verizon and Sprint use a transmission protocol known as CDMA. AT&T and T-Maybe use a different protocol known as GSM

You cannot use your Verizon iPhone on any other network besides Sprint, jailbroken or not

If you're unhappy with Verizon (and everybody is) check Sprint to see if they have a deal more to your liking. If not, might be time to upgrade the phone and switch to a GSM network

Fantix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Lawrence Co
    Verizon and Sprint use a transmission protocol known as CDMA. AT&T and T-Maybe use a different protocol known as GSM

You cannot use your Verizon iPhone on any other network besides Sprint, jailbroken or not

If you're unhappy with Verizon (and everybody is) check Sprint to see if they have a deal more to your liking. If not, might be time to upgrade the phone and switch to a GSM network

I went from Verizon with iPhone to a Cricket Wireless plan. Didn't call Verizon to unlock. I've been out of contract for over a year. Phone works fine. Just had to get a sim card from Cricket Wireless. Signal is so-so around were I live. Verizon's is better, but I am paying half of what I did with Verizon.

Top Bottom