• ...and so much more!
  • critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    ...by my dog!

So I have two holsters for my USPc. A Crossbread Supertuck and a Blackhawk Serpa. I like them both for different reasons. But I'm glad I had the Serpa on when this happened.

So I'm leaned over on one knee cleaning something off the kitchen floor when my Chocolate Lab (big doofus Leroy Brown) comes over and rubs his head against my side to see what I'm doing. I was wearing a heavier outer shirt that was over the holstered gun. But my leaning over exposed the butt of the magazine which has an extended tab for the pinky. You can see it in my profile picture. Well his collar went right over it. And like many Labs he's a wiggler! He immediately pulled back trying to get free. I reached back and first grabbed him by the collar so I could keep my hip with him. This took the tension off the holster. It retained the USPc very well! Unhooked the collar and all was well but boy did my eyes get big. My wife looked at me and said "what?" So just recounted the story. Her eyes got big.

Had this been my Supertuck there is a possibility it could have pulled the gun out of the holster. I did increase the passive tension on the kydex because I have a 5yo boy. Never had a problem. This really is a "what if" / "might have" concern. It is possible that had I been wearing the Supertuck this might not have happened at all at the it keeps my USPc very close to my body and the Serpa is off the body a bit. So this concern could be apples and oranges all together.

Things I had come to mind:

1. Glad I have a 5yo son instead of daughter so he won't be grabbing my gun from me.
    2. Know that anything can happen and the draw of your gun may happen by other than unfriendly forces. Have a secured holster!
    3. Mentally prepare yourself that if your gun flips out of your holster DON'T REACH FOR IT! The internal safeties of a modern handgun should lock it out from firing. (I know Kirk nothing is perfect)
    4.Use a good holster! I have found both Supertuck and Serpa to be comfortable quality holsters and am glad I have them both. I was glad in this situation I had the Serpa on with its positive retention.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    The thought of someone grabbing my gun goes through my head anytime I am out and there are people around. My gun rides on my hip at the height to where I can rest my elbow on the grip. I usually have my shirt pulled down over the grip and I always stay aware of my surroundings when I'm in public with people around.

I've thought about finding someone to practice stopping an attempted gun snatching with.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    d27f4baa-a9a6-4d31-8986-c1ce4df2ebde.jpg

Top Bottom