• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Didn't watch the videos, so correct me if I'm wrong:

Click-bait based on out of business FFL's files transferred to the feds as required by law. Intentionally confusing that with a 'registry' while ignoring that FFL files only show who it was transferred to from that FFL. If a gun changes hands after that, there's no 'registry' requirements.

Gun tracing works like this: Provide S/N, request trace. Trace gets you to the first "customer" as in the retail shop or department that bought it. Then you go to the retail shop and see who they sold it to from their records or the 'registry' if they are out of business. Then you go to that business/person and ask who they sold it to. Repeat until you find the current owner. Which is why I pretty much never asked for a trace, it's generally useless unless your guy bought it himself new (or cranky x-girlfriend says when/where he bought it) and you can't tie it to him any other way.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Canada tried this and gave up for much of the above reason.

Might have made some bucks for somebody's buddies in the form printing or data storage business though.;)

Always follow the money

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Thought the estimates are that there’re about 400 million privately owned guns in the US. Where do you get a list 2.5X that number? Couldn’t have been that many “boating accidents!”

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Another source for this issue. Wait till they enact mandatory 4473's for all transactions. That searchable database is going to be a big b***h.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thought the estimates are that there’re about 400 million privately owned guns in the US. Where do you get a list 2.5X that number? Couldn’t have been that many “boating accidents!”
    A lot of people sell their guns back to a dealer and they get resold, generating a new form. I'm not really that shocked at 1 billion.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Click-bait based on out of business FFL's files transferred to the feds as required by law. Intentionally confusing that with a 'registry' while ignoring that FFL files only show who it was transferred to from that FFL. If a gun changes hands after that, there's no 'registry' requirements.

Gun tracing works like this: Provide S/N, request trace. Trace gets you to the first "customer" as in the retail shop or department that bought it. Then you go to the retail shop and see who they sold it to from their records or the 'registry' if they are out of business. Then you go to that business/person and ask who they sold it to. Repeat until you find the current owner. Which is why I pretty much never asked for a trace, it's generally useless unless your guy bought it himself new (or cranky x-girlfriend says when/where he bought it) and you can't tie it to him any other way.
    ATFE has long admitted to their illegal registry. The first time was in an interview on a defunct show called Day One with Forrest Sawyer in 1995.

Director Noble admitted to the project on the show. ATFE has never retracted that admission.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Canada tried this and gave up for much of the above reason.

Might have made some bucks for somebody's buddies in the form printing or data storage business though.;)

Always follow the money
    When Canada was having people fill out forms to register, people who were offended filled out forms for all guns. Caulking guns, soldier guns. glue guns, screw guns, paint guns, nail guns, etc. Some even made up kinds of guns, just to clog the system.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It looks like what the man on the video is trying to say is that the ATF has this huge number of transactions and most are digitized. As of now, they cannot be searched like a registry, where a government agency can put in data and find out about a gun owner. He further states that it is an easy process to turn the digitized records into a registry. In other words, "Welcome to the world of today's technology where the government can find out all about you by using government data, data gleaned from personal computers and smart phones, security camera footage, license plate scanning, digitized fingerprinting and facial recognition". How do you think that you get all that junk mail from companies you've never done business with? The tiger has been let out of his cage and cannot be put back.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When Canada was having people fill out forms to register, people who were offended filled out forms for all guns. Caulking guns, soldier guns. glue guns, screw guns, paint guns, nail guns, etc. Some even made up kinds of guns, just to clog the system.
    How'd that work out for them? Air guns which shoot a projectile at 500 fps and up are considered firearms and must be registered. As far as firearms go, Canadians are subjects, not citizens.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    How'd that work out for them? Air guns which shoot a projectile at 500 fps and up are considered firearms and must be registered. As far as firearms go, Canadians are subjects, not citizens.
    agreed, some did what they could, but not enough. The good citizens are suffering.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

4473s end up in the ATF's hands eventually.

There's a name, details, and firearm details on that forum. If it is digitized, it takes anyone with coding ability about 5 minutes to make a searchable database that functions as a registry.

Say what you will, but common sense proves you wrong.

Reactions: Leo

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    4473s end up in the ATF's hands eventually.

There's a name, details, and firearm details on that forum. If it is digitized, it takes anyone with coding ability about 5 minutes to make a searchable database that functions as a registry.

Say what you will, but common sense proves you wrong.

Ok. Let's say you are right, they've used AI to digitize all the paper records into a searchable database and scanned it all in to your 5 minute database. Then they illegally use the database to find out I bought a gun at an FFL last year.

I've got a lot of guns. Some I bought from an FFL, some I didn't. I've given some to family members, I've sold a couple, I've traded others. So the database says I bought that gun last year. Now what? What do you do with that information and why?

Top Bottom