• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Stamp came today and got an extra surprise when I opened the package and had a "made in Indiana" stamp too. Tried it on an extremely ugly piece of skirting that I definitely didn't take the time to case properly and they turned out really good. Gonna try to get down in the basement tonight to start the coasters.

Stamps by rsfx laser products out of Indy View attachment 253445
    I need one of those made in Indiana stamps for my sheaths!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Really liked the Springfield leather company saddle scabbard for a lever gun so I picked up the pattern. thinking about doing a basic scabbard just for fun here soon just need to justify the cost of leather since I don't have a horse or saddle or even a lever gun anymore. The way they did it there's no hardware on the scabbard itself so that nothing rubs the horse. I think doing some basket weave at the opening and running down about a 1/4 of the length of the scabbard would look cool.

Are you taking orders for scabbards?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    How do the stamps work?
    Can you describe the process of stamping, carving leather designs?
    First step before any of it is to case the leather. A lot of people myself included will try to tool leather that is too wet it's better to be too dry than too wet. For leather 10oz and below I give it a dip in the water pull it out and watch it go back to the natural dry color, I do this twice. That usually gets a pretty good moisture content. For anything thicker than 10 I soak it until bubbles stop forming then wrap the leather in a trash bag and let it set over night.

For the large American flag and made in Indiana stamps I use the arbor press to make the impression. And if I'm able to I do the number and letter stamps in the arbor press. I make little fixtures out of 1/4" plywood to locate the stamps so I get a repeatable location.

For geometric stamping like basket weave you lay out your guide lines and border lines with wing dividers and scratch awls. With basket weave you set it up like running a course of bricks in a wall. alternating on either side of the guide line and giving it a firm whack with the maul.

Carving starts by either drawing your pattern directly on the leather with a pencil or scratch awl or using vellum paper and a stylus. Then you take a swivel knife (always stropping everytime you pick it up) and cut all the lines you drew or transfered. Usually the next step is to bevel all the lines you cut. Carving involves a bunch of stamps like bevelers, seeders, veiners, camouflage tools, mules foot, bar grounders, back grounder etc. I talked to a saddle maker that has more money wrapped up in stamps for carving than my house is worth so you can go crazy with it.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    So I’ve got a couple knives planned out to make that are going to look really goofy in a kydex sheath so I’m going to try my hand at leather work again. Any recommendations for an edge beveler and a stitching groover? My wife bought me a big set off Amazon and most of the stuff is fine, the the groover is more or less useless and the beveler works fine along the grain but leaves a mess when you turn a corner. I looked at the Tandy pro stuff, but it’s pretty spendy for something I might only use a few times

Lpherr

Occupied
    A friend directed me to one of his friends blog on making leather stamps from plastic.
    He showed some pictures of the results, and they look pretty good.
    I'm going to attempt a couple when it warms up some.

Top Bottom