• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    This may be a post policy. When I was in Ft. Bragg, prior to purchasing a firearm, we needed a memo signed by the commander and then another by the Provost Marshall. My CO didn't give a sh!t, just signed the paperwork.

A friend who was stationed in Alaska, however, had a post commander who requested to register the firearms of all soldiers; even those living off post. I believe the NRA got involved and that douchebag Clinton officer changed his mind.

The soldier in question definitely needs to contact his congresscritters and the NRA.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I agree that his congressman should be called because they hate congressional inquiries in the military. But what if his congressman is Pelosi or someone like her?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I Just found this on another forum. Anybody here hear anything about this happening?

"Gentlemen,

I am an 11B currently assigned at Fort Campbell. I live off post, with my firearms(which I don't bring on post for any reason). A very frightening thing happened at work yesterday. I was ordered to fill out a list containing my firearm information. This included make, model, caliber, and serial number of all firearms I currently posses. In addition, I was also required to list registration information, location of all weapons individually, and information regarding any CCW permits I posses. If you are like me, then the people you work with know you have firearms. So I had to list at least some. I tried to talk to my 1sg(who is normally aproachable through proper channels) to find out what this is for, and I was basically told, "I don't give a !&@%, just put your info on the form." I don't know how high this goes, but I am hearing that this is going on in other units at Fort Campbell as well. It just seems alittle coincidental to me that within 90 days: the most anti-firearm President in history is inaugurated, some of the nastiest anti-firearm laws are put on the table in Washington, and then the Army comes around wanting what amounts to a registration on all firearms, even if they are off post, and doesn't provide any reason or purpose as to why(not even a BS one). I fear something really nasty is blowing in the wind here. I have been in almost 8 years, and never have any of my units asked for this information. If any of you out there have any info as to what all this crap is about please chime in. Otherwise consider yourself warned.

This doesn't say if he was married. If he was, he could "sell" the guns to his wife and then when filling out the form say that he no longer owned any firearms. (He couldn't violate the privacy rights of his wife without her permission)

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Great, they know what you have! The next step is to require you to store it in the arms room, for your safety!
    Good luck from there!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    That has been policy since the Clinton era at least '95ish. Not really enforced unless you live on base or are a dirtbag. Besides if I live off post even your commander can NOT just walk into your home without a warrant of some kinda. On post it is a little more dicey, there are certain circumstances that have to be met to allow them to just drop by. So how will they know? And besides I don't own any weapons, my wife does though is a real good way around that rule.

When I lived on post I has an SKS and a 20ga pump shotgun. I was required to check (and leave) them in the base armory. When I moved off post I took them with me, no problems.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    On our base we had a policy where you had to store your firearms in the armory or in base housing with only your supervisors signature. Off base however, they didnt give a .... what you did as long as you werent a dirtbag and you were law abiding. (Minot AFB, ND)

Last edited:

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne

While i concede that it is good news that this was reversed in this particular case, the bad news is that this maybe part of something from the top. It appears that the Post commander was aware of this and condoned it, until it saw daylight, according to the WND interview with the Ft Campbell spokeswoman. I would not doubt that this came from Washington. Testing the waters.

Thank God this particular soldier spoke up.

stay vigilant my friends

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    This is the first I've heard of this requirement. Thank you, though. I am still active duty (you all know enough about me that I wouldn't be hard to find-South Bend, Marine, MOS 1302). When I lived on base at Camp Lejeune, I was required to give PMO the serial #s of any weapons that I stored in my base housing. They didn't care about anything that I had off-base or whether I had a license to carry. There was no requirement when I lived off base. If something like what is in the OP came out now, I don't know how I'd approach it, but I'm pretty sure I'd comply with the UCMJ.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    If something like what is in the OP came out now, I don't know how I'd approach it, but I'm pretty sure I'd comply with the UCMJ.

Good man. Sounds like you payed attention to the words in your oath. If you have a problem with an order or a policy thats what open doors and political authority is for, those fights are not your battlefield. We had the same policy only weapons brought on post or stored in the arms room were required to be registered with the provost marshal.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I sort of miss Campbell but that makes me a little happy I'm not there anymore. That really freaks me out. They can do off post health and welfare but if the place looks good then thats all they can do. The only problem would be if they somehow had people move on post. If everyone with weapons did that then you would have to secure them. Good luck with JAG, They have to follow orders like the rest of us.

Top Bottom