• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    I had a wasr and it shot fine with out any problems. It was fun and pretty cheap to shoot. Then I bought a Polytech AK and what a difference in accuracy and overall feel, just a great ak. Then I decided I wanted a Vepr and found one of the Robinson VeprII in 7.62x39 with a 20" barrel and a Russian scope and it's as accurate as my AR @ 100yds and of course cheaper and probably more reliable. Like others have said I like them all.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I once had a guy at the range tell me that he could see that I was shooting a junky Romanian made AK because it flung the ejected brass so far away. I was actually shooting an Israeli Galil. The fact that people are ignorant does not prevent them from having an opinion.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I don't know much about AKs. I have only shot two. One was pretty nice. The other one had a collapsible stock that hinged / folded to one side. Maybe there was something wrong with it, but that rifle had a wicked case of trigger lash. It was so bad it really hurt my finger to shoot it, nasty. Anyone else familiar with that issue on AKs?

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    I tried putting a POSP on a CAI PSL one time... By the time the optic was zeroed only 1/4 of the reticle was still visible in the optic. I ended up having to slot and shim the POSP's mounting base to get the reticle to zero remotely close to the center of the sight picture. Not to mention the level of time and effort it took to get that PSL to run. You see, differences like this separate the real deal from a replica and are why most people have this image of the AK being unrefined/crude.

fwiw I had a similar issue with a Romanian built PSL, as far as the scope. Runs flawlessly though.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I don't care. In my personal experience shooting at the range....I fire two or three times the number of rounds downrange than my buds with their fancy cool looking AR's. They spend more time clearing jams than they do shooting. My AK is worth about $750 and I have had it for a couple decades...it doesn't jam, and I can hit anything I can see. I don't take 500m shots. This rifle was never designed to be a long range or sniping rifle. Mine is all milled. I have another that is not all milled and they both shoot very well and are very reliable.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I have never owned a AR but I do
    own a AK & it rocks! It seems like
    AR's become a money pit?

You have never owned something that you procede to proclaim a money pit? Do you see the ignorance yet? All guns are money pits. We pay for them then you continually pay for ammo to shoot in them.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I don't care. In my personal experience shooting at the range....I fire two or three times the number of rounds downrange than my buds with their fancy cool looking AR's. They spend more time clearing jams than they do shooting. My AK is worth about $750 and I have had it for a couple decades...it doesn't jam, and I can hit anything I can see. I don't take 500m shots. This rifle was never designed to be a long range or sniping rifle. Mine is all milled. I have another that is not all milled and they both shoot very well and are very reliable.

That's operator headspace and timing. I can go with competent shooters and not see a single jam in a long, long, long time. I can easily get a double combat load thru mine bone dry andf have no jams, and I'm not running a high dollar AR. If you can't hit a 500m target then you can not hit anything you can see.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I used to prefer an AK over an AR. I had a Maadi, and it was a nice rifle. However, the more I shot my AR, the more I did not like the ergonomics of the AK. No bolt hold open/release, charging handle on the wrong side, safety under the charging handle. They are a good rifle, but I'll stick with my AR.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I have about $1,100 in my AR. That's after changing the furniture out, then adding an optic and back up rear site. I have had it in the mud, and the poring rain with the dust cover open. I have never had a single issue with it. Your friends must have some junk AR's.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't know much about AKs. I have only shot two. One was pretty nice. The other one had a collapsible stock that hinged / folded to one side. Maybe there was something wrong with it, but that rifle had a wicked case of trigger lash. It was so bad it really hurt my finger to shoot it, nasty. Anyone else familiar with that issue on AKs?
    Yep it's called trigger slap. You can cut some off of the seat yourself or you can buy a tapco g2 trigger. Trigger slap happens when original full auto trigger parts are used in semi auto guns. Yes it does hurt like a son of a *****! Easy fix though and certainly a cheap one. Free if you do it yourself with a dremmel or about $30 if you buy a g2 set and install it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have about $1,100 in my AR. That's after changing the furniture out, then adding an optic and back up rear site. I have had it in the mud, and the poring rain with the dust cover open. I have never had a single issue with it. Your friends must have some junk AR's.
    How about dust cover open with the bolt back letting mud and water in? :)
    ill jam your AR sir :Dn
    o in all seriousness if your talking about the AR you got from your pops, that's a damn fine AR.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have both, I like both, but if I ever get to go and actually use one again it will be my AK-47
    no questions. I have been trying to buy as many as I can afford for reasonable prices because i want to have one to hand out to every member of my family if the need arises. If it doesn't, GREAT! Ill have some nice rifles to play with and a good investment to pass to my spawn! LOL

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I have about $450 in my Arsenal AK. I've only changed the grip out, I've not added an optic or back up rear site. I have had it in the mud, and the pouring rain (and it doesn't have a dust cover like an AR!). I've ran it dry as a bone, and to date, I've never cleaned it. I have never had a single issue with it. ;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have about $450 in my Arsenal AK. I've only changed the grip out, I've not added an optic or back up rear site. I have had it in the mud, and the pouring rain (and it doesn't have a dust cover like an AR!). I've ran it dry as a bone, and to date, I've never cleaned it. I have never had a single issue with it. ;)

Yeah, I can show you AR torture tests as well. I'm not saying AK's are junk. I have owned one, but you can't beat the ergonomics of the AR.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I def agree with you on the ergos of an AR. And I know they ARs are far more robust than what the average AK fan boy will admit. My cleaning cycle on my AR's is once every 1k rds, lube at 500. I've never had FTF or FTE malfunctions in my ARs. As earlier stated in this thread, I have had other parts break, 100% repairable, never catastrophic in nature. Remember, I appreciate both rifles, and I think comparing them is silly; apples to oranges IMHO. I just wanted to play off of your post. I'm an AR and an AK guy. I own multiple of both. I appreciate each for their strengths, and I work/train around their weaknesses. Neither is infallible. They are both by definition machines which inherently states that at some point they will fail. I try not to argue which is superior to the other. Keep in mind, there are tiers to each system. A DPMS will not run as well or long as an LWRC. I know this as fact. Just as a WASR will not run as well or as long as an Arsenal. Now based on those tiers, there is snobbery abound. I'll be the first to admit that, I'm def not one of them. When it comes to an AKM, on range I love my beat to hell Romy M10 as much as my Bulgy SA93 (if not the M10 more because its just so much fun), but I know that when it counts, the Bulgy is one I will have in my hands. $.02

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I def agree with you on the ergos of an AR. And I know they ARs are far more robust than what the average AK fan boy will admit. My cleaning cycle on my AR's is once every 1k rds, lube at 500. I've never had FTF or FTE malfunctions in my ARs. As earlier stated in this thread, I have had other parts break, 100% repairable, never catastrophic in nature. Remember, I appreciate both rifles, and I think comparing them is silly; apples to oranges IMHO. I just wanted to play off of your post. I'm an AR and an AK guy. I own multiple of both. I appreciate each for their strengths, and I work/train around their weaknesses. Neither is infallible. They are both by definition machines which inherently states that at some point they will fail. I try not to argue which is superior to the other. Keep in mind, there are tiers to each system. A DPMS will not run as well or long as an LWRC. I know this as fact. Just as a WASR will not run as well or as long as an Arsenal. Now based on those tiers, there is snobbery abound. I'll be the first to admit that, I'm def not one of them. When it comes to an AKM, on range I love my beat to hell Romy M10 as much as my Bulgy SA93 (if not the M10 more because its just so much fun), but I know that when it counts, the Bulgy is one I will have in my hands. $.02

There are Junk AR's, and there are Junk AK's. I could have spent more on my AR, but I'll put it up against any fancy rifle out there. I just don't like training on two weapons, keep it simple. That's one reason I sold my AK. Plus it's more reasonable to reload for my AR.

Top Bottom