• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    No guns today, but I did score some nice Izzy plums. They go great with a glass of Slivovitz!

ddVYhbAh.jpeg
    Russian mags and Slovenian booze?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    First time I had slivo was back in college, introduced to some homemade stuff one quiet weekday night with the old timer Polish owner of my favorite dive bar (he later turned me onto Dyngus Day, but that's another story). He pulled out a bottle, took a swig, turned and spit it against the wall. We watched the paint loosen a bit and he started laughing, calling the stuff the best thinner one could ever use as he proceeded to pour me a shot on the house. Stuff was awful, like drinking rancid lava. Rotgut, for sure.

It became an instant tradition that very night, and my buddies and I would toast to damn near everything with it. It was also the "initiation" for our younger siblings or friends from other colleges who'd come to visit. "You want us to buy you beer?" Shot. "You want to crash on our couch?" Shot. You wan- ahh hell, just take a shot."

Twenty years later, we still gift each other bottles when one of us gets married, has a kid, gets divorced, etc. That old Pole is long gone, but his legendary paint thinner definitely lives on.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    full

With a proper shot glass
    If we're on Eastern European liquors check out Pálinka. A friend of mine's wife emigrated from Hungary. She brought a bottle of apricot pálinka in an unmarked corked bottle to dinner one evening.
    It tasted like peach ring candies and was lethal. You could slam it down and it would hit you until you tried to stand up.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm a quarter Hungarian as well as a quarter Slovenian. Genetically geared towards AKs and fruit liquor. In 2019 my father and I took a two week tour of the Hungarian wine regions. Included was a visit to the Palinka Museum in Budapest as well as the factory where they make Unicum. Drank a LOT of Palinka that trip.

It is a tradition to greet visitors with shots of Palinka and pogasca - a small biscuit bread with bacon in the dough. Yep, everywhere we went were offered bacon biscuits and booze. Best. Trip. Ever.

In keeping with the thread, one of the many AKs I regret letting go (SGL-21).
    Legion Izhevsk SGL-21 right.jpg

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Man you all can have that stuff. I've tried it exactly once. Really does taste like lacquer thinner. Yes I've actually tasted lacquer thinner (not on purpose). But being of Irish decent I have no genetic ties to it. I suppose I should be into AR-180s, FALs and Whiskey. AKs and whiskey? Yeah that works.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Where do you guys buy that?
    Is there any traditional Polish liquors to avoid? I don't drink but a guy I grew up with does and he's Polish but born in the states.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Where do you guys buy that?
    Is there any traditional Polish liquors to avoid? I don't drink but a guy I grew up with does and he's Polish but born in the states.

There are a fair amount of Slivovitz brands from a number of countries available stateside. I've had liquor stores special order particular brands for me before, but I know the Total Wine in Indy carries some Czech slivo, and Kahn's here has the Serbian variety. Might be worth calling around to the shops in your area.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    There are a fair amount of Slivovitz brands from a number of countries available stateside. I've had liquor stores special order particular brands for me before, but I know the Total Wine in Indy carries some Czech slivo, and Kahn's here has the Serbian variety. Might be worth calling around to the shops in your area.
    Copy

Top Bottom