• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Y'all know I love my Romanians. Here are a couple trusty old all matching M56 SKS carbines. The 1957 on the left has some truly beautiful wear - it definitely didn't live its life on some arsenal rack. The stories these could tell...

5sHGYIYh.jpeg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    MaxxArms email:
    We have just received word that our supplier will no longer have access to Romanian AK's. There are no more md.65 kits coming out of Romania while the Russia-Ukraine crisis stands.

NATO countries bordering Ukraine are donating all of their military surplus to fight Russia. Ukraine still uses 7.62x39 and fields AK-47's as their standard issue rifle. These md.65's only get de-milled after they are purchased are are stored as complete rifles.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought the AK-74/5.45x39 was Ukraine's standard issue rifle/cartridge, but nevertheless they certainly have mountains of 7.62x39 blasters in service and reserves. But more is always better.
    I know when they were asking people to come there and join their military, they said you could bring your own gun but said the only ammo they had to pass out was 5.45, so I don't know what to think.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Here's another fun one - a Sino-Soviet SKS. It remains caked in cosmo, even after an hour-long heat gun treatment in the garage. The whole barrel, and I mean the entire thing, was plugged with the stuff. I managed to pull out a 20" strand of what looked like one of those Cow Tail candies (which somehow seems more disgusting than Cosmoline).

Lots left to clean and not much free time these days, but I'm excited to examine this thing a bit more closely. The stock is wonderfully beat up. Seriously, the repairs are quite interesting, but the metal is in surprisingly good shape. Also a surprise? All parts match - nothing forced here. And, it's a three-digit serial number. I've not seen that before with these guns, so that itself will require a bit more digging.

Anyway, enough typing...

U7HLkoph.jpeg

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Here's another fun one - a Sino-Soviet SKS. It remains caked in cosmo, even after an hour-long heat gun treatment in the garage. The whole barrel, and I mean the entire thing, was plugged with the stuff. I managed to pull out a 20" strand of what looked like one of those Cow Tail candies (which somehow seems more disgusting than Cosmoline).

Lots left to clean and not much free time these days, but I'm excited to examine this thing a bit more closely. The stock is wonderfully beat up. Seriously, the repairs are quite interesting, but the metal is in surprisingly good shape. Also a surprise? All parts match - nothing forced here. And, it's a three-digit serial number. I've not seen that before with these guns, so that itself will require a bit more digging.

Anyway, enough typing...

U7HLkoph.jpeg

Nice, have you ever used brake cleaner to clean off cosmoline? Very efficient, I've done many Mosins with brake cleaner and the stocks get a hot sun tan to leech the cosmoline out of the wood.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Nice, have you ever used brake cleaner to clean off cosmoline? Very efficient, I've done many Mosins with brake cleaner and the stocks get a hot sun tan to leech the cosmoline out of the wood.

Thanks for the tip! Never used brake cleaner but definitely happy to try, as this has been the nastiest milsurp I've ever cleaned. Any particular brand/type of cleaner, or are they all pretty much the same? Just spray on the metal, or dunk everything and let sit?

Once it warms up a bit I'm going to disassemble and put the stock in a black trash bag on the dash of my truck. That always works pretty well.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

Anyway, enough typing...

U7HLkoph.jpeg
    Love it. Sino's are the bees knees

Top Bottom