• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Can anybody here recommend a good place for me to be able to see several good quality air rifles? I can order anything on line, but I'd like to check these things out a bit first.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    I've not found any place in IN to look at decent air rifles. PyramydAir.com operates out of Warrensville Hts, Ohio (basically Cleveland). They stock LOTS of high quality stuff, and can probably accomodate your desire to handle a few. Other than that, find a local enthusiast on a forum and ask if you can have a shoot-together.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I have a Gamo Game Hunter, my brother got a different Gamo. They are solid. Great little in the basement training guns or outside in the yard.

My only problem with mine right now is that the Red Dot that I got for it will not stay put on the dove tail where the BSA scope that it came with was. It's a very accurate and powerful air rifle with just the barrel brake action.

We got both of ours the same day at Cabela's and they had a few on display to handle.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Bass Pro Shop has a good selection. The Gamo are probably the best, but I got a good deal on a Beeman Dual-Caliber (.177 / .22). With a decent scope that baby will "reach out ant touch someone" or in my case some squirrel or nasty bird. The .22 is perfect for taking squirrels in a subdivision.

Beeman SS1000-S Dual-Caliber Air Rifle Combo - .22 Caliber Beeman Air Rifles

I bought one like that from Walmart and the one I got was a total POS. You couldn't reliably hit a pie pan at 25 yards. Which is what got me on the quest for a nice air rifle. I have lots of starlings around, and I absolutely despise those things.

Those two things combined let me to youtube, and a channel called Ted's holdover. Very interesting stuff, but I'm not going to be forking out $2000 for an air rifle anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBg_NroPXSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XtL-3SB2o&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL4A9DC350666E1A78

Thanks to the guys who suggested places to look, I've never heard of either of those places.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    Unless you are looking for high end competition air rifles, this place may have something you're interested in. On the way down to Kentucky, you can stop at Bass Pro and see their selection. Air Guns - BB Gun - Air Rifles - Airgun - Air Gun | Compasseco

Compasseco was bought out by Pyramyd Air a few years ago. As far as Chinese guns go, there are HUGE numbers of air rifle owners who are quite pleased with their chinese rifles, myself being one of them. And, in most cases, GAMO rifles are made in Spain (WORSE THAN CHINA when it comes to air guns) or China.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Champions Choice in LaVergne, Tennessee has high end competition air rifles like Walthers and Feinwerkebau. $1500 to $2500 plus another $500 for sights. I have an old Feinwerkebau 10 meter match rifle that literally stacks everything in the same hole. The original gaurantee was .039" center to center for a 10 shot group.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    Can anybody here recommend a good place for me to be able to see several good quality air rifles? I can order anything on line, but I'd like to check these things out a bit first.
    Chuck good luck finding a gun shop that handles many good air rifles. Most will only have a few made in china or spain, or maybe a Crossman. I own and shoot three air rifles, one is a spring powered Slava in .177 this is a low powered but very accurite rifle. The other two I have are chinese made copys of 1960's Crossman Co2 rifles, these are very good little rifles. However I would say if you are buying a chinese air rifle you need to be a Wrench, sort of like owning a Harley. If you are willing to work on them a small amount they can be very good indeed. I have two in .22cal I converted both to use high pressure air, One shoots a 16 grain pellet at 980fps, the other is set up to shoot a 13.5 grain pellet at 600fps, this will shoot about 85 to 90 times without refilling.
    Daves Guns in Holland In has a Crossman PCP and Pump for sale, and if you are not wanting to work on your own the Crossman (Benjaman) Marauder is pretty good and also the Benjaman Pump up rifles are good as well.
    Bill...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a Gamo whisper breakbarrel in .22 that will easily knock the snot out of birds and small rodents from across the yard. Haven't had any issues, and it wasn't too much. It was a giant upgrade from the .177 Crossman CO2, which would barely put a pellet under the surface of a 2x4.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Chuck good luck finding a gun shop that handles many good air rifles. Most will only have a few made in china or spain, or maybe a Crossman. I own and shoot three air rifles, one is a spring powered Slava in .177 this is a low powered but very accurite rifle. The other two I have are chinese made copys of 1960's Crossman Co2 rifles, these are very good little rifles. However I would say if you are buying a chinese air rifle you need to be a Wrench, sort of like owning a Harley. If you are willing to work on them a small amount they can be very good indeed. I have two in .22cal I converted both to use high pressure air, One shoots a 16 grain pellet at 980fps, the other is set up to shoot a 13.5 grain pellet at 600fps, this will shoot about 85 to 90 times without refilling.
    Daves Guns in Holland In has a Crossman PCP and Pump for sale, and if you are not wanting to work on your own the Crossman (Benjaman) Marauder is pretty good and also the Benjaman Pump up rifles are good as well.
    Bill...

What model Benjamin pump up would you recomend? I've been leaning towards the 392. I think I'd like a PCP rifle, but the cost once you get to including a pump or a scuba tank is way higher than I want to spend for a starling killer.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I know where there's a Feinwerkbau 124 Sport Delux that's for sell. It is close to mint, with less than 500 rounds shot through it. The FWB 124 are some of the finest and most accurate spring guns ever made. There's nothing being made today that compares. This gun is located near Evansville

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you want to take shots like in the video then you need to spend some coin to get the consistancy. a benjamin maurader w/ pcp pump should be able to make reliabe hits out to 100 yards.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    What model Benjamin pump up would you recomend? I've been leaning towards the 392. I think I'd like a PCP rifle, but the cost once you get to including a pump or a scuba tank is way higher than I want to spend for a starling killer.
    Chuck the 392 would be a good choice, they are very nice and can be fitted with a williams peep, makes a light, powerful rifle, I recomend the .22 cal rifle.
    Bill...

Top Bottom