• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not sure if you've had a blood workup done recently. Low thyroid can cause memory problems.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I scrap about one in every four instruments. Usually simple mistakes.
    I can only guess how frustrating that is but FWIW, in the construction industry it's said that if you never do anything wrong, you're not doing anything.

I wish I had the talent to make them sound as good as they look!

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I have built about 60 ukuleles in the last 4 years. I have about 10 to go to fulfill the waiting list and I am stopping. Arthritis has become a real deterrent to hand work.

I have played guitars all of my life and repaired my own as well. I must tell you, I am envious of your talent to build instruments. I would love to be able to build acoustic guitars like you build ukes. Don't give up the good work, just slow it down a little and work as your body will allow.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I started a statin about 3 months ago.

Statins are dangerous drugs, that doctors are just now figuring out, after about 25 years on the market, the dangerous side effects of statins.
    I've been on some sort of statin since 1997, some of the side effects are memory problems, pain that shoots down your leg, pain through your big toe, misc. tingling feelings throughout your limbs, abdominal pain, the list goes on. I had one doc try to tell me it was all in my head. Do your own research and see what you find.
    All kinds of stuff. I started taking a very good CoQ10 supplement to try and reverse some of the damage. If your numbers aren't too high, I would do some lifestyle changes and see about getting off of the statin. Remember the doctor gets a kick back from the manufacturer of the drug for every script he writes.

I know this to be a fact as I work for a large health network here in Indy.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have played guitars all of my life and repaired my own as well. I must tell you, I am envious of your talent to build instruments. I would love to be able to build acoustic guitars like you build ukes. Don't give up the good work, just slow it down a little and work as your body will allow.

Thanks for the kind words. There is so much hand work shaping necks and leveling the bindings.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Statins are dangerous drugs, that doctors are just now figuring out, after about 25 years on the market, the dangerous side effects of statins.
    I've been on some sort of statin since 1997, some of the side effects are memory problems, pain that shoots down your leg, pain through your big toe, misc. tingling feelings throughout your limbs, abdominal pain, the list goes on. I had one doc try to tell me it was all in my head. Do your own research and see what you find.
    All kinds of stuff. I started taking a very good CoQ10 supplement to try and reverse some of the damage. If your numbers aren't too high, I would do some lifestyle changes and see about getting off of the statin. Remember the doctor gets a kick back from the manufacturer of the drug for every script he writes.

I know this to be a fact as I work for a large health network here in Indy.

I do have tingling in my left hand. Maybe the stain. Thank you.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I started a statin about 3 months ago.
    One just never knows how a thread will turn out and how one might be affected. My physician of many years retired recently and at my last checkup, the nurse practitioner asked me why the doctor didn't have me on statins. After looking at all these side affects, I think I'll pass on them. I'd rather have all my senses and live a shorter life.

Last edited:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Soon to be 71 and carry from get up to go to bed 7 days a week. Also carry second gun as open carry 5 days a week while the wife works. If Alzheimer's and dementia are in your family background you might have a problem otherwise look at your meds. If you use the VA go to CVS or one of the other Drug Stores and talk to their people about what you are on. VA is limited on what they can give.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    All my life I have been pretty sharp and aware of what is going on around me and such. In the last year or so, I think I am losing that edge. I work alone hand building ukuleles. I use power tools and sharp hand tools. Always thinking about being careful not to create an accident. Yet, I found I sometimes forget an important step in the process or just have a brain fart where I wonder ""what was I about to do".

I am 60 years old. I can tell you that my mind is as sharp as ever or maybe more so since I do not give half a about as much toil as I used to spend time worrying about.
    If I ever have to stop, it will be because of a dodgy knee, shoulder or the ever approaching arthritis in my extremities.
    Keep the shotgun handy for when you have to sleep, but do not give up on your right to protect yourself and yours too quickly.

Someone already said it; see a doctor, change your diet, get more rest and more exercise. You are way too young to just give up.

I can still hit where I aim and I do not stress about taking an extra half second to make the shot good if I need it. You should not either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The older I get the more I feel I need a gun to be able to protect myself. IMO, The older you get the chances increase that you are going to become a victim either inside and/or outside of your home since they may see you as an easier target because of your age.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I agree with others that it is possible that you should see a doctor. I have carried for over 25 years and still carry every time I leave the house. I always have guns near when I am home.

Apparently my son's don't believe I am too old to carry as they purchased a new Kimber Solo for me last year! They knew I had been looking at purchasing one for a year or so as my EDC was a Colt Double Eagle (45 ACP Stainless steel SA/DA but similar to a 1911) and it was becoming uncomfortable for me to carry due to weight and size. (I carried in the small of my back inside the belt). I don't practice as much as I used to, but still can shoot pretty well. I will be 75 in May, and certainly don't intend to stop carrying due to my age!

As an aside my wife is a volunteer at a local charity store, and she has seen several older persons, both male and female - in their late 70's ~ 80's carrying. Some do apologize when it is apparent they have inadvertently shown their firearm, she just smiles and tells them it is fine and that she feels safer when honest people are armed. (She doesn't often carry but does have her LTCH at 73 YO). I do intend to do a lot more shooting this year.

I grant you my (and your) reflexes may not be as fast as they were 50 years ago, but we do have a LOT more experience now. As for accuracy, I still can shoot 8" targets at 25 yards plus. i am very, very sure I could hit a human torso at 25 foot (God forbid I ever have too) every shot without fail.
    IMHO, carrying a firearm is far less dangerous than driving an automobile, I doubt you are ready to give up driving in your 60's are you?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The older I get the more I feel I need a gun to be able to protect myself. IMO, The older you get the chances increase that you are going to become a victim either inside and/or outside of your home since they may see you as an easier target because of your age.

I agree, and with a user name like yours, you don't want to get there any quicker than you are supposed to.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    That is great news. I hope you health keeps improving. Sometimes you need to decide if it's better to flame out or fade away...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I heard somewhere, the older the ukulele, the sweeter the music....or was it a violin....

DuvallCall.jpg

Top Bottom