• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All my life I have been pretty sharp and aware of what is going on around me and such. In the last year or so, I think I am losing that edge. I work alone hand building ukuleles. I use power tools and sharp hand tools. Always thinking about being careful not to create an accident. Yet, I found I sometimes forget an important step in the process or just have a brain fart where I wonder ""what was I about to do".

I just clicked 66 on the life span odometer. I see some of my skills getting weaker as in my eyes at distance, quick target acquisition, total focus etc but no where near the point I do not trust myself to carry.

Yes, I walk into my shop to get something and stop, look around and have to take a moment at times. That is age.
    Keep sharp by using your EDC whenever you can. If you languish these skills will fade.

You are to young to feel this way.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Skills are perishable, so is our health. Don't confuse them. If you want some help to find your path, go see my Mom. She knows how to help old timers like you get healthy. It's kind of her specialty. She is in her 80's and is a certified trainer based out of the Ft. Ben YMCA. She can help you get an exercise plan together and talk about how best to get to the Doctors.

FYI her nicknames are Bronson, because she is tougher than Charles Bronson, and Spartacus because she has Spartan bloodlines and makes him look like a pacifist. She still carries. IM me if you want contact info. There is an article about her in recent edition of Indy Boomers. I guess it's free in the grocery stores.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I went to the range recently with a G30S and a few other pistols. Frankly the G30S wasn't all that comfortable to shoot with 230 grainers for 50 rounds. It is accurate however. My 1911 is still pretty comfortable to shoot with the large boolits. But, I'm rethinking my carry plans and may go back to my H&K 9mm vs the Glock.

At 66, I hope what I've lost in reaction time, I've made up with experience and maturity to know what my limitations are. Plus, the white mustache keeps me out of a lot of confrontations and a lot more having the door opened for me when I go into a store. LOL

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you are a veteran and your personal physician's records are linked with VA, do not mention firearms!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...I work alone hand building ukuleles. I use power tools and sharp hand tools. Always thinking about being careful not to create an accident...

I know this is a thread-jack, and I apologize for injecting this into a serious matter, but...would you mind sharing up some photos of your ukes? That's a pretty interesting hobby! Just interested, that's all. :yesway:

...you also sound like your head is screwed on straight about safety, and those aren't the kind of people who usually cause problems. Building and playing instruments entails a fair amount of self control and attention to detail.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Hitting the big 60 myself this year , my answer is when they take it from my cold dead hands...or the kids give me a squirt gun to carry in the Veterans home.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I turned 60 last fall and don't foresee the day I quit carrying. True, I'm not as quick as I once was (then again, I've never been all that quick) and my short term memory isn't as sharp as it used to be. But I've learned to take all of that into consideration when I train. Just because I'm getting old is no reason to go forth into the world armed with only a good heart. Carrying the proper club is still wise.

Top Bottom