• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    I am moving in a couple weeks and I'm building. I know I have 60 days to change my address with ISP but I won't have a new address for at least 120 days or more. I will be living with various friends and family and possibly a rental house I own but I won't be any one place till I move into my new house. My mail is all being forwarded to a PO BOX so what are my options to not run afoul with my Larry during my transition??
    thanks in advance for the help.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm not really sure how ISP would know you've moved.

I would wait to notify them until after you've had your driver's license address updated. A LTCH holder might get in trouble if they updated their DL but hasn't given ISP notice of the change within 60 days, but otherwise how would they know?

I think as long as your DL address matches what they have on file you should be good to go.

Of course I am not a lawyer and all that jazz.

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I will just use the address of my rental property since I will be staying there at some point. Just lazy and didn't want to have to change it more than once.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I will just use the address of my rental property since I will be staying there at some point. Just lazy and didn't want to have to change it more than once.
    The lazy route is the one I'd take.

If there's some easy online thing, I guess you can do that.

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    The lazy route is the one I'd take.

If there's some easy online thing, I guess you can do that.

the point was that I will not be staying any one place for more than a couple weeks and I believe it would be falsifying a govt document to claim residency in a place I am not technically a resident. So changing my address every couple weeks would be a PIA AND potentially raise some red flags.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    the point was that I will not be staying any one place for more than a couple weeks and I believe it would be falsifying a govt document to claim residency in a place I am not technically a resident. So changing my address every couple weeks would be a PIA AND potentially raise some red flags.

You'd not be falsifying anything. You'd just be meeting the legal requirements to maintain a valid LTCH.

You could also direct your question to ISP Firearms Licensing if you're truly that concerned.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    People who are retired Indiana residents and travel full time use Personal Mail Boxes as opposed to P.O. Boxes. In Texas they have ruled that it is a legal address for legal purposes. These guys are full time travelers in an RV and stay a different place every few days. The update would not be through the mail before they were leaving for the next destination. I asked an officer about that for a Drivers license once in another state and his reply was that the idea of having a current address is so they can contact you so it was fine. I was in the military and traveled, the apartments I stayed in at the time had regular home type mail boxes that any resident could get into, so I opted for a Personal Mail Box back then. Most full time travelers choose a tax free state to maintain a residence in like Texas, Florida, or South Dakota, but I imagine it would be the same here in Indiana. Check with a lawyer, I only have the Holiday Inn Express experience.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just call them and ask your question.
    They'll give you a definitive answer right there over the phone.
    I did it over the phone just over five years ago, when I got married and moved.
    It took me a grand total of about one minute on the phone.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Can you PROVE you are in any of these new addresses? Utility bills etc? Wait until you change your driver's licence then tell them you've moved. You're only a legal resident of a new address when you update your driver's licence.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I would imagine it is similar to the drivers license process. As I mentioned, many people get a personal mail box for a legal address when they are the traveling type. I traveled a lot a long time ago, I had my drivers license, credit cards, etc. all with my personal mail box address, because that was my legal address. Retirees who travel in the RV to see the country do the same thing. You would not have a utility bill from your personal mail box, but you might have a credit card statement or bank statement that will satisfy them. The reason for them having your address is to contact you if there is a problem with your drivers license or LTCH, not to track every place you sleep. Again I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see any other way the retirees could do it other than do it in another state and then Indiana would miss out on a lot of income tax dollars. I don't think they want that either.

BMV: Proving Indiana Residency

Top Bottom