• ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Your burden, not mine.

No burden to me, you're the one who sounds ridiculous.

"Oh, look, another negligent discharge. So easily preventable."

"ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED!"

"What are you talking about? Of course it was loaded, it discharged. The problem was unsafe handling, negligently discharging a gun in an unsafe direction."

"BUT ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED WOULD HAVE KEPT HIM SAFE! BLATANT REFUSAL TO CONCEPTUALIZE!!!"

"Nonsense. He failed to treat a gun like a gun."

"..."

"I thought so."

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...It would be far better to discuss the problems related to improper transportation of firearms than pull out a logical fallacy.

Yes it would. However, parrots don't discuss, they simply repeat phrases they've memorized.

Wouldn't the NRA's three rules be more germane?

Yes they would, if anyone wanted to intelligently discuss the actual details of the subject at hand

...perhaps after the squawking subsides.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Zurlon wasn't much for the Four Rules either.

He liked the first one you're so fond of, maybe a little too much.

Violating the actual rules of safe gun handling got him killed, but it does appear that they were always loaded.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How does one "follow" your screwy rule any better than keeping them loaded at all times?​

How about we start by not waving them about--the parking lot, the range, the gun store, etc.--like toys, because, you know, they are loaded, just so we mitigate some internal hang up with the Four Rules that we have?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How about we start by not waving them about--the parking lot, the range, the gun store, etc.--like toys, because, you know, they are loaded, just so we mitigate some internal hang up with the Four Rules that we have?

Not waving them about? Absolutely, that's already the cardinal safe gun handling rule: Always keep it pointed in a safe direction

Whether they are loaded or not, they're guns and should be handled safely.

You are the one who appears to be internally hung up on their loaded status, clinging to it as if it ever had anything to do with safe gun handling.

Still don't know why, you don't really articulate any support for it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    No burden to me, you're the one who sounds ridiculous.

"Oh, look, another negligent discharge. So easily preventable."

"ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED!"

"What are you talking about? Of course it was loaded, it discharged. The problem was unsafe handling, negligently discharging a gun in an unsafe direction."

"BUT ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED WOULD HAVE KEPT HIM SAFE! BLATANT REFUSAL TO CONCEPTUALIZE!!!"

"Nonsense. He failed to treat a gun like a gun."

"..."

"I thought so."

It's unfathomable why making probably the most concise statement regarding gun safety could possibly be a point of argument, but there it is.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Treating all guns as if they are loaded is not the golden rule of gun handling. Never pointing a gun at anything you don't wish to destroy, is not the golden rule of safe gun handling. Not putting your finger on the trigger until you are on target, is NOT the golden rule. Knowing what your target is, what is in front, behind, and to the side..that's not the golden rule either....

Break one rule, and you can probably sleep ok. Break 2 or more, and eventually something is going to happen. This is where negligence comes into play. I disagree with the mantra "if you treated them as if they were loaded this wouldn't have happened". No. Had they not become lax in general safe handling, it wouldn't have happened.

I dry fire real guns. I break MANY of the 4 rules when I do this. You know how it's safe? I unload the ****ing gun(s) and put the ammo in a different room. And I am constantly checking that the gun is empty...

Top Bottom