Activist's drone shot out of the sky for the 4th time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    Or as I think of it. "Activists providing hunters on private property alternatives to shooting pigeons."

Been following this story for a while. It crosses a couple of subjects I find interesting. Private property rights, drones, surveillance, etc... Some folks in Pennsylvania are having pigeon shoots on private property. Some activists are trying to document what those people are doing by the use of remote control drones with video recording capability. And for the 4th time the drone has come down with some lead poisoning.

Thought it's an interesting topic.
    Activists’ drone shot out of the sky for fourth time | sUAS News

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Based on the description, I can't believe a true sportsman would be involved in this kind of crap!

I agree. I despise canned hunts. But what do they expect flying up with the birds spying on private property where people shoot birds? All I'm saying is that the results should be no surprise whatsoever, and if they can't afford to replace their planes, then they should try another tactic.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I agree. I despise canned hunts. But what do they expect flying up with the birds spying on private property where people shoot birds? All I'm saying is that the results should be no surprise whatsoever, and if they can't afford to replace their planes, then they should try another tactic.

yeah, honestly i spent hours watching their vids saturday. cant believe they kept my attention that long.
    but you're right, my first thought when they unleashed the drone. wtf did they expect when sending a flying object hovering over guys armed with shotguns trained to shoot flying objects?

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    Shooting at the drone sounds like WAY more fun than a canned hunt! I'd pay for a drone hunt. The other, nah don't think so.

Boomhower

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    From the article:
    "The Philadelphia Enquirer reported that SHARK lobbied the Pennsylvania statehouse in January, seeking legislation that would end pigeon shooting in the state. These hunting events involve capturing or breeding pigeons in cages, and releasing a large number of birds from cages to immediately be shot or wounded by hunters."

How is raising and breeding pigeons for a hunt ANY different than what the DNR does along many of our waterways. They have fish farms where they raise trout and other fish and then release them weekly into the local rivers for the fisherman to "hunt".

I'm confused.....

Boom

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    From the article:
    "The Philadelphia Enquirer reported that SHARK lobbied the Pennsylvania statehouse in January, seeking legislation that would end pigeon shooting in the state. These hunting events involve capturing or breeding pigeons in cages, and releasing a large number of birds from cages to immediately be shot or wounded by hunters."

How is raising and breeding pigeons for a hunt ANY different than what the DNR does along many of our waterways. They have fish farms where they raise trout and other fish and then release them weekly into the local rivers for the fisherman to "hunt".

I'm confused.....

Boom

Because the euphamism of "fishing" that entails sinking a metal hook designed to look like or hidden in a food source into the subject's mouth yanking him out of its environment where it can not breathe to be gutted or filleted alive is so much better than the euphamism of "hunting" that often involves scary guns.

Apply purple where necessary and have a sense of humor. I enjoy killing, gutting, skinning and devouring defensless creatures as much as the next guy- I'm just not consumed by it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Activities like fox hunting and pigeon shooting have a long history. There are efforts to eliminate fox hunts in England. Most of these animal groups would eliminate all hunting. I remember when dove hunting was illegal in many states because it was a bird of "peace" and was monogamous. One common tactic used by animal groups is to portray the animals as having human qualities. I don't participate in any of these sports, but I can't see why they should be banned. Looks like the sportsmen weren't doing anything illegal. The actions of the animal people might not be. As far as the helicopter, you'd think they'd learn.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I've watched the video. They appear to be trying to provoke a fight. I think the gun owners did a responsible thing by not engaging these fanatics. I would only shoot down their device if it was over my land, take it and deal with them legally. I would not engage them. They would attempt to provoke a shooting to prove their point.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My land, and the animals die about as quickly if not more so than those who are hunted in the wild. Forgive my lack of sympathy.:rolleyes: Although the idea of hunting something that has little to no chance of hiding or escaping makes me wonder why you wouldn't just forgo the whole "hunting" thing and treat them like livestock.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    they go around and document and/or protest canned hunts. they have a decent purpose, and not as whackadoodle as PETA, and they've seriously brought to light some of the corruption that encircles this pigeon shoot crap.

What corruption? See below for a description of what a standard pigeon shoot is.

Based on the description, I can't believe a true sportsman would be involved in this kind of crap!

That description they gave, if it's a tradition pigeon shoot is very very slanted. They shoot from "just yards" away? 21 yards is the standard.

I agree. I despise canned hunts.

It's not a hunt, it's a competition. Just like clay pigeon competitions (also where clay pigeons get their name from). The shooter stands 21 yards back from the line, at the line there are 5 boxes spaced 5 yards apart. When the shooter says he is ready one of the 5 boxes is opened at random and a pigeon is released. The shooter has to bring the pigeon down within I believe 100 yards of the shooter. I also believe the pigeon must be on the wing when it is shot. So if the pigeon was smart it would just hop out of the box onto the ground and walk away :D.

Doesn't sound so easy does it? It's definitely not shooting fish in a barrel like SHARK tries to make it out to be.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't participate in pigeon shoots and don't fox hunt on horseback, but these activities have been going on for quite some time and have their followers. I am more disturbed about some people, who are totally unaffected, getting up in arms and trying to ban these things. These animal groups would like to ban just about any killing of animals, including those raised on farms for consumption. If you don't think that they are sports, fine, don't participate. If you don't like to hunt or fish, you have the option to opt out of those activities as well. I'm sure that some of you own Ar's or AK's or other military rifles which some gun owners (maybe pigeon shooters) can see little purpose for owning, but as long as you are safe with them, who does it hurt? I think that there should be more live and let live in our society.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I think anyone who flies something like that with the purpose of "observing" someone on private land needs to have it shot down, unless they have a warrant to "observe".

Top Bottom