• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well that was educational as always.

Its apparent that most of us who have attended this class at least a couple of times use it to experiment. My experiment this year was to use revolvers, so I’m going to share here what I picked up specific to that.
    To put it briefly, it’s work.

As some of us discussed last night, revolver shooters usually seem to run to extremes. They are either wizards who are a joy to watch, or simply inept. Im sorry, but my guess is most meet the latter description. How many people do you know who always carry a J-frame but you’ve never seen them shoot it? Yeah.

I’m probably giving myself too much credit, but I feel that I’m one of the few who fall somewhere between the two extremes. While it’s nowhere near equal with my auto pistol shooting, I do shoot revolvers now and then. A friend and I will hold “Hillbilly Games” and challenge each other with J-frames, shooting plate racks up close in up to steel at 50 yards and beyond. I’ve shot a match or two with a revolver. One of the classes I took this year was a revolver-only class (with few students I might add)

I said all that to say this:
    I was struggling hard last night.

Flailing miserably.

Flopping like a fish out of water.

Take the usual complications of shooting at night, add in the complications of using a revolver, and it can get ugly quick. Revolver carriers: Have you ever reloaded a revolver in the dark? While holding a flashlight? What did you do with the light? How did you align the cartridges with the chambers? By feel? Ha. Do that by feel when it’s cold (or you’re scared poopless from being shot at).

Don't think you'll need to reload? Six For Sure, you don’t spray and pray because you’re not using an auto, and all those those other clever things?
    Have you tried shooting one handed on the move with a revolver at night while trying to illuminate the sights and the target? Don’t run into your cover now. Click. You’re empty.

I struggled reloading while holding the light until a kind soul took pity on me and gave me a piece of para cord to make a lanyard. That helped, but it’s still easier to slam a magazine into an auto.
    Within an hour of getting home last night I had a ring/clip installed on my light.

I didn't realize it until today, but when I’d reload the revolver, that’s where I was looking. And not just a glance either, I was lost in it. If I had a problem loading I’d focus there even more until I was entirely focused on what I was making a mess of, not what the threat was doing. Had the threat not been a stationary steel plate, I doubt it would’ve been where I expected when I finally crawled out of my revolver cylinder.

Last night also confirmed my preference for Safariland speedloaders. Push it in and you’re done. No twisting or other added manipulation. I used Speed Beez loaders some, and while they are a push-and-done style similar to Safariland, it feels almost a two step process. Call it 1.25 steps. It’s not much more to manage, but every little bit matters here, and matters a lot.

Once last night, i managed to knock a round loose from a Speed Beez so it wouldn’t align at all. I had to drop it and go on to another loader. Something to think about for those who carry just a single speedloader...if any.

While I’m gear queering: 3” Kimber K6s in a Sparks PMK holster, and a 2” RB S&W model 12 (Airweight K frame oddball) in Kydex.

When I've asked people why they prefer revolvers, the answer is almost always “I just like revolvers” or similar. I like them too, but when I choose to carry them I try to have a better reason. Gunfights are hard enough without adding your own complications.

Don’t misunderstand. I’m not saying revolvers are worthless, nor am I saying revolver(only) carriers are stupid. My point is I hope that if you do make the revolver-only choice, you have at least tried to work these things out. If you haven’t, then I hope you will think about it now. Think hard. Better yet, address these things. Take a class to sort them out.

And that’s what I learned in this year’s class.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for your observations, Barry. Yes, making the choice to shoot a revolver can complicate things a bit. Carry a second. Maybe a third. A method of retaining the hand held light while manipulating the firearm. And don't let Barry make you all believe he spent the evening failing. He did not. Was he as effective or efficient as the auto shooters? No. BUT, he got the job done.

I would like to add a thank you to all the participants in the class. Great group of guys. Even one FNG that has already let me know of the changes in his equipment he will be making.

Remember all, the time to figure out your gear and your methods is in training, not when out on the sharp end.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    As the FNG at this annual course, this course is a must attend for anyone who carries a firearm for protection at night. I tried running the first drill without a light because the sun had just set, and I quickly realized how necessary a stand-alone light or WML is. There were several other valuable lessons learned such as using a light behind cover, how targets can disappear when light shifts at certain angles, the value of a reflex sight and several others. I highly recommend this course. It’s the first Saturday in December.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Another great class from ACT and staff.
    Great class to get out in cold and low light situation to see how you perform when your feet are cold, trying to shoot one handed while trying to illuminate your sights and target with a hand held light.
    As stated above, the light or lack of and angles make targets look different without natural light.
    Great place to come out and run your gear to see what your strong and weakness are.
    Always good information from others taking the class as what works for them.

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    +1 to what the guys above said.

My gear issue is my new progressive lens eyeglasses. Shooting two handed in the day light no problem. Shooting one handed, body turned, using cover and a hand held light was interesting.
    It may take awhile for my eyes to get used to this "new world" ;)
    Excellent class, very safe class, and it was fun.
    See you there next year.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    That new Surefire light that got delivered to my porch during the class? Oh man, it’s fun. I wish we had another class this week.

Top Bottom