ACT Intro. Defensive Pistol & Rifle Classes - 21,22 March 2009 - Terre Haute, IN

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On 21 March 2009, Adaptive Consulting and Training www.adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com will present their Introductory Defensive Pistol class at the Riley Conservation Club www.rileycc.com near Terre Haute Indiana.

What: Defensive Pistol 101
    Where: Riley Conservation Club – Terre Haute, IN
    When: 21MAR09 – 0900 until approximately 1600
    Cost: $95 plus $10 range fee
    Prerequisites: N/A
    Lead Instructor: John Viray

Recommended equipment list and round count will be provided.

For more information, contact:
    john@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com
    joseph@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

On 22 March 2009, Adaptive Consulting and Training www.adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com will present their Introductory Defensive Rifle class at the Riley Conservation Club www.rileycc.com near Terre Haute Indiana.

What: Defensive Rifle 101
    Where: Riley Conservation Club – Terre Haute, IN
    When: 22MAR09 – 0900 until approximately 1600
    Cost: $95 plus $10 range fee
    Prerequisites: basic pistol class or equivalent knowledge with instructor approval
    Lead Instructor: Joseph Viray

ACT Defensive Rifle Class Equipment List

REQUIRED ITEMS:

· Eye protection
    · Hearing protection (suitable for use with rifle)
    · Rifle – must function reliably; self-loader strongly recommended such as AR-15-type, AK-type
    · Lubricant suitable for rifle (FP-10, CLP, Slip-2000, etc.)
    · Magazines – Five (5) minimum; more is better
    · Magazine carrier on body (for at least one or two spare mags)
    · Sling – either a “tactical” sling or a simple carry strap
    · Ammunition – 500 rounds

RECOMMENDED ITEMS:

· Clothing appropriate for season, including hat with brim and rain gear
    · Comfort items (sunscreen, insect repellant, over the counter pain reliever, etc.)
    · Shooting mat, knee pads, elbow pads, gloves
    · Cleaning kit
    · Snacks and beverages (water will be provided)

For more information, contact:
    joseph@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com
    john@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

Anyone who wishes to enroll in both classes may do so for $180 plus $10 range fee.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Under what circumstances would instructor give approval?

Under the circumstances of talking to me and letting me know that you know how to conduct yourself on a range safely. Preferably you will have mastered the basics of using a handgun for defensive use. We won't be doing any transitions to the handgun in this rifle class, but I want people to have a foundation in the pistol first.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ATM ... I'll post it here and email you when it's finalized. I'm trying to get a balance between "enough" and "too much/intimidating."

One thing I will say is that I'd like for people who are doing the rifle class to let me know what make/model and caliber of rifle they'll be using. Aside from confirming that it's suitable for our purposes, I also need to know which calibers of inert rounds to get and if I need to worry over any additions to the material if someone brings something that is drastically different from an AR or AK.

I'd also like ARs and AKs zeroed before class at 50 yards, point of aim = point of impact. If you don't have access to 50 yards, then zero the AR 1-1/8 inches low at 25 yards. AKs would probably be fine zeroed at 25, but a little low at 25 for them would probably be better too (I'll have to do some research on that). Other weapons may work better with different zeroes. The better the rifles are zeroed before class, the less time we'll have to spend doing it during class.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've added the rifle class equipment list to the original message. Here it is as well. If possible, I'd like to know what kind of rifle (make/model and caliber) you'll be bringing to class. If you have any questions about the suitability of your rifle or other gear, please feel free to contact me at joseph@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com.

ACT Defensive Rifle Class Equipment List

REQUIRED ITEMS:

· Eye protection
    · Hearing protection (suitable for use with rifle)
    · Rifle – must function reliably; self-loader strongly recommended such as AR-15-type, AK-type
    · Lubricant suitable for rifle (FP-10, CLP, Slip-2000, etc.)
    · Magazines – Five (5) minimum; more is better
    · Magazine carrier on body (for at least one or two spare mags)
    · Sling – either a “tactical” sling or a simple carry strap
    · Ammunition – 500 rounds

RECOMMENDED ITEMS:

· Clothing appropriate for season, including hat with brim and rain gear
    · Comfort items (sunscreen, insect repellant, over the counter pain reliever, etc.)
    · Shooting mat, knee pads, elbow pads, gloves
    · Cleaning kit
    · Snacks and beverages (water will be provided)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    After talking to John about the Defensive Pistol 101, I was excited to take it, but now I check and I won't be back from Spring Break until that Sunday night.

:noway:

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Very interested in both classes. Is there an updated equipment list and round count for the pistol class yet?

Also can you recommend a magazine carrier/vest and a sling. I have a basic home built one point that mounts to the receiver end plate, would that work?

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Very interested in both classes. Is there an updated equipment list and round count for the pistol class yet?

we recommend bringing 500rds for each class.

Also can you recommend a magazine carrier/vest and a sling. I have a basic home built one point that mounts to the receiver end plate, would that work?

i'll let rhino chime in here, but we like to reload from the belt for both guns, replenishing our belt mounted mag carriers, pistol and rifle, from a rolypoly or like bag. i'll sometimes run a chest rig for rifle, but i reload from the belt carrier and replenish from the chest. blade tech makes the rifle mag carrier i'm using these days. as to slings, yours sounds like it should be ok, and there will likely be spares at the class.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    Well my dad just called me and he bought eagles tickets for the 22nd. I guess thats a good enough excuse to miss the class :)

I would still like to make the pistol class. Thanks for the info.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well my dad just called me and he bought eagles tickets for the 22nd. I guess thats a good enough excuse to miss the class :)

I would still like to make the pistol class. Thanks for the info.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I saw the Eagles at the United Center in Chicago and it was an amazing show. I was disappointed that they only did one short encore, but overall the show was great. They may be getting older but they still sound great. Joe Walsh does things with a guitar that are unspeakable. I personally find it hard to determine if Joe Walsh's guitar or Don Henley's drums are the best part of that band.

Good luck, I am sure you'll enjoy it.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    If you could include a suggested mag carrier, vest or some assembly that is not a bank breaker--perhaps something I could use to carry over shooting the AR at multi-gun as well? I'd like to pick up something for the class that is useful for both.

Please and thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you could include a suggested mag carrier, vest or some assembly that is not a bank breaker--perhaps something I could use to carry over shooting the AR at multi-gun as well? I'd like to pick up something for the class that is useful for both.

Please and thanks!

Before I answer directly, I will say that some people prefer to keep spare mags in their pockets. There is nothing wrong with that and some do very well that way. Some of the rationale behind is that if you need your rifle, you probably won't have the time or opportunity to get into a big chest rigs and other gear. You may only be able to grab the rifle and a mag or two, so stowing them in pockets makes sense.

The best value on the market for AR mag carriers is the Blade-Tech injection molded mag carrier with the TekLok, and they're even ambidextrous.

Now, why would being ambidextrous matter? Because you may not know which way you want to place your magazines in the carrier. Some like bullets toward belt buckle, and some prefer bullets away from belt buckle. With the Blade-Techs, you can do it either way, on either side of your body.

I usually carry some kind of dump pouch of shoulder bag to replenish the belt mounted mag carriers. You can get a Maxpedition RollyPoly from slow1911s, so contact him at info@indygunracers.com. He may also be able to get the Blade-Tech pouches for you.

The shoulder bags I carry come from a variety of places. Some people call them "bandoleers," which I suppose they are in a way. They hold six magazines (three on each side). Most of mine came from Galati International.

Top Bottom