• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Attended both ACT classes MAR21-22 at Riley CC.

Highlights: Very nice range and facilities. Three great instructors throughout both days. Students ready to learn and improve. Gourmet hot dogs.

Defensive Pistol 101

John (obijohn) lead this class with assistance from Joe (rhino) and Aron (Coach). The morning was mostly discussion and demonstration covering a wide array from safety, handgun types, ammo selection, attitude/mindset, awareness, controlled agression, OODA loop fundamentals, holster types and carry positions, grips, stances, sight pictures, aiming and anatomy, presentation in steps out and back into the holster, trigger pull and reset, shot follow through, reloads, malfunctions and remedies, etc.
    It was stressed that there is no "right" method for some of these skills but many were chosen for the best blend of efficiency and effectiveness. Alternatives were also explained. The suggestion was for us to try these methods as instructed to formulate a good objective with which we could compare other methods.

After a lunch of gourmet hotdogs, chips and cookies (and my usual extra large Starbucks Doubleshot) we headed to the range.

Started slow with drawing in steps to some slow shots and received fine tuning and suggestions on individual basis. Then we sped up and began servicing target areas with multiple shots and mixing up the called target areas. Then, (and I knew it was coming) MOVING. Moving off the line of attack, drawing and servicing the called area. Then snap cap malfunction clearing while MOVING and reengaging target. Reloading from slidelock while MOVING.
    MOVING, shooting, MOVING wile reducing malfunction, shooting, MOVING wile reloading, shooting, MOVING while scanning for further threats. Of course by scanning I mean SEEING what you need to see.
    Wow. Simple to read but anyone who does this whole exercise really well while even remotely treating that target as a real threat in their mind has put in the practice. And practice I shall...

Defensive Rifle 101

Joe (rhino) lead this class with assistance from John (obijohn) and Aron (Coach). Again the morning was mostly discussion and demonstration covering some of the same material since these are offered as stand alone classes and not all students had attended the pistol class. Many of the topics, though similar, were presented in the rifle context. Rifle specific topics included sling types and carry methods, mechanisms and operation of the AR platform (every student was using an AR,) configuration of lights and other accessories, grip/handguard options, iron sight pictures and optics, zeroing suggestions, etc. Restressed that some of the proposed methods were not the "only" methods but we were encouraged us to try them and then adopt what seemed best.

Yes! I smell gourmet hotdogs! Another grand lunch and down to the range.

From 25 yards we verified or adjusted to suggested 50 yard zero (which is 1-1/8 inch low for a 5.56 AR.) Practiced positions and presentation to slow accurate fire. Moved up very close and took a head shot. Hmm... everyone is way low. Sight offset (distance of sights from barrel) is more pronounced up close. Seems like I knew that but honestly had never shot that close with my AR to see how much. Two words... hold over (aim high.)
    Speed up. Stack up those hits. Give that threat the service it requires and place it to the called area quickly. There was more discussion and practical fine tuning even during break/reloading times. Everyone manually created a light doublefeed to go through the steps to clear.
    MOVE if you're not shooting. Why yes... we DO have snap caps for you. Of course you still need to reload - 30 rounds doesn't last as long as you thin*MOVEMOVEMOVE!*
    Finished up with the same full drill as the pistol class which transfered to rifle with minimal modifications.

I am trying some new methods and have some practicing to do.

Kudos to ACT for a fun and extremely worthwhile weekend.:patriot:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Great post, I do have to say that both days were excellent at increasing awareness, speed, marksmanship and ability at just the right increments at just the right pace. They knew when they pushed to much, not enough and knew the answers to the questions and roadblocks that came up.

Great courses. I am excited to try the next level; but, I know that I need some private range time to learn the mindset myself and better my marksmanship!

Awesome! I can't believe it's over! But, in a way, I am hoping to leave behind certain... 'indescretions' that I gave in to while there!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Great job on the AAR ATM!
    It was good to meet you.

I'll say some of the unsaid.
    Your tacticool kneepads drew a lot of interesting comments.
    My attempt to blow up my gun was, thankfully, unsuccessful.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    And the quickest way to get an AR off of safe is to eject the mag.:):

*You know the kneepads were dead sexy*

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And the quickest way to get an AR off of safe is to eject the mag.:):
    No doubt.:rolleyes: My airhead meter was pegged more than once this weekend.

Just a quick note;
    Coach is slightly impressed when you cheat in a seventh round to make a perfect six round drill. Obijohn and Rhino not so much, and they remind you of it frequently.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    My brother took that class. I asked him how he thought it went.
    He said he liked it but he said it was sobering finding out that you suck! :):
    He argued with me Saturday afternoon about my making the carbine class on Sunday. but since I went to gun show on Saturday I had some honey-doos to complete on Sunday. :dunno:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Thank you.... He got all of his good traits from his big brother. ;)

He really shot well, knew the AR and answers well. I on the other hand, well, I, well, I er...

I did my best to keep up. They really work you to get out of your comfort zone. All the ideas you had about being able to aggressively respond to the target before you took the class came shattering down as you realized that it takes more than the 'will' to preserve your family and yourself.

Training is a MUST. Period. That is what I learned most of all.

I even made it home for a wonderful service at church Sunday night! All in a days work for a hillbilly!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Did you ever figure out how you got that bad pistol ammo?
    Yes, but it wasn't bad ammo. At some time I picked up a live .40 cal round from the ground. I believe I put it in my pocket with a couple .45 cal rounds. I was watching other shooters while reloading mags and decided to get those out of my pocket...

...lesson learned.

BTW- good to see you again!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Yes, but it wasn't bad ammo. At some time I picked up a live .40 cal round from the ground. I believe I put it in my pocket with a couple .45 cal rounds. I was watching other shooters while reloading mags and decided to get those out of my pocket...

...lesson learned.

BTW- good to see you again!

this just illustrates why we ask students NOT to pick up live rounds from the ground until we are finished for the day. as we all saw, a 40s&w WILL fire in a 45. all it takes is for the extractor to hold the round against the breach face. fortunately, this did not turn out to be the catastrophe it could have been.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ATM ... thank you for the review and feedback. Thank you to the others for your comments here as well. I'm glad we were able to have a good two days and learn some new stuff. I know I learned too!

jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum. The course you described sounds great! Is there a site I can go to to check it out? I'm in central IN and looking for a place nearby that offers some defensive handgun classes (or similar). Can you all point me in the right direction? Thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Top Bottom