• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Little back story...my uncle recently got his LTCH and has been all about the 2nd ammendment recently :rockwoot: (considering he never thought about it before, thats a win in my book).

That being said, he doesnt have a long history with handling firearms. He's one of the "non-hunters" in the family, so he didnt grow up shooting and caring for guns like some of us did.

So last night after dinner at my grandma's house, my uncle was saying he needed a new pistol because his revolver wasnt very accurate. Im no revolver expert, but i was always under the assumption that the longer barrel allowed for greater accuracy. I asked him a few questions and my response was that with the longer barrel, the weight was probably pulling the gun down, throwing off his sights, and he just need to practice more. He is certain its either the gun or the ammo.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anybody have a possible cause that hasnt been mentioned?

The gun in question: S&W .357 Mag w/ 6" barrel (thats all i know, but i would assume its an older model if that means anything)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heavy pistol, heavy recoil, and a stiff trigger are all working against him. Especially as a "new" shooter.

Practice, practice, practice! Shoot single-action with light .38 loads for a while, and see if his accuracy improves. Then, work on the DA trigger with the light loads.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I have two things that come to mind first having never seen shoot or a target he has shot.

1) exactly what you said the wait of the pistol is causing him to drop the muzzle.
    2) shooting double action the pistol probably has an 8 to 10 pound trigger pull. and he is having trouble holding the pistol on target while squeezing the trigger.

try having him shoot is single action with the pistol on rest. like in the photo below and see if his accuracy improves.

ShootingStances_benchrest.jpg

then reevaluate. in my experience guns that are left unchanged from the factory are typically very accurate. It's usually the shooters fault.

Edit: and Practice, practice, practice. then practice some more.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Dry fire can reveal a lot of user problems because you have taken recoil management out of the equation. Get some snap caps. Put a little black tape dot on a mirror, and practice sight alignment, sight picture, breath control and trigger manipulation aiming at that little dot. It will show what is wrong and allow a person to develop the skills without the cost of ammo. When you do go to the range, it will be a lot more fun shooting tight groups in the middle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I was taught something one day at the range. I was shooting my snub nose Ruger. I was firing single action taking my time, Breath control and the whole bit. I was getting dinner-plate size groups at 50' and was wondering if that's about what the gun would do.

The range boss was an off duty sheriff and about the meanest and most impatient guy I have ever seen. he is prowling the line like he was watching paint dry and especially giving me the hairy eyeball. After several passes he can no longer contain himself and exclaims "Oh good LORD! Give me that weapon!" I am thinking WTF? I lay the pistol down and step away from it. This guy snatches it up, with double action and rapid fire he empties 5 rounds faster than I can pull the hammer back!

He has put five rounds in a group that you could cover with a quarter dollar at the distance of 50 feet! Holy crap! he lays the gun down and announces to the whole firing line "practice, gentlemen! Practice, practice, practice! Now I never question the accuracy of the gun. No matter how lousy the gun is it is still more accurate than my hands.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    When I first got a 357 some 30 years ago, I shot a lot of 38 special.
    It was cheaper.
    It was quieter.
    It had less recoil.
    I would shoot the occasional box of 357 hollow points when we really wanted to blow stuff up.
    As a result, my shooting with very heavy loads today (like S&W 500) is really pretty good because I learned trigger control with the lighter loads.
    It works.
    I have seen so many people drill a target dead center with the first magnum load and then not even come close with the rest of the rounds in the gun because after that first round they start flinching.

Edit: After shooting 38's in a 357 CLEAN THOSE CYLINDERS before switching to 357!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah, gotta agree with eldirector.

Unless it has been physically damaged, that .357 S&W is CAPABLE of shooting better groups that, likely, most anyone on the forum.

MOST likely, if your Uncle does HIS part, that revolver CAN put 6 rounds in to one ragged hole, right from the factory. The issue usually ISN'T that the 'cannon' is loose, it's the 'loose cannon' behind the trigger... :D

Ha, just watch that 'ol buggar' Jerry Miculek!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I was taught something one day at the range. I was shooting my snub nose Ruger. I was firing single action taking my time, Breath control and the whole bit. I was getting dinner-plate size groups at 50' and was wondering if that's about what the gun would do.

The range boss was an off duty sheriff and about the meanest and most impatient guy I have ever seen. he is prowling the line like he was watching paint dry and especially giving me the hairy eyeball. After several passes he can no longer contain himself and exclaims "Oh good LORD! Give me that weapon!" I am thinking WTF? I lay the pistol down and step away from it. This guy snatches it up, with double action and rapid fire he empties 5 rounds faster than I can pull the hammer back!

He has put five rounds in a group that you could cover with a quarter dollar at the distance of 50 feet! Holy crap! he lays the gun down and announces to the whole firing line "practice, gentlemen! Practice, practice, practice! Now I never question the accuracy of the gun. No matter how lousy the gun is it is still more accurate than my hands.

Cool story

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Im no revolver expert, but i was always under the assumption that the longer barrel allowed for greater accuracy. I asked him a few questions and my response was that with the longer barrel, the weight was probably pulling the gun down, throwing off his sights, and he just need to practice more. He is certain its either the gun or the ammo.

All other things being equal, a 2" inch j-frame is as inherently accurate as an 8" n-frame. The shooter can generally shoot the longer barrel better because it's more forgiving of bad trigger control and the sight radius is longer.

If he's stuck on it being the gun or ammo have him hold the gun on target at about 7 yards, focusing on nothing but the front sight. Then you safely stand beside him and pull the trigger back (if you're comfortable with it). He'll see real quick it isn't the gun or ammo.

The learning curve for shooting a revolver well is very steep. He needs to understand this. As mentioned, practice, practice and practice seeing each time what he can learn with every shot. It'll happen. :twocents:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Epic:rockwoot:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Little back story...my uncle recently got his LTCH and has been all about the 2nd ammendment recently :rockwoot: (considering he never thought about it before, thats a win in my book).

That being said, he doesnt have a long history with handling firearms. He's one of the "non-hunters" in the family, so he didnt grow up shooting and caring for guns like some of us did.

So last night after dinner at my grandma's house, my uncle was saying he needed a new pistol because his revolver wasnt very accurate. Im no revolver expert, but i was always under the assumption that the longer barrel allowed for greater accuracy. I asked him a few questions and my response was that with the longer barrel, the weight was probably pulling the gun down, throwing off his sights, and he just need to practice more. He is certain its either the gun or the ammo.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Anybody have a possible cause that hasnt been mentioned?

The gun in question: S&W .357 Mag w/ 6" barrel (thats all i know, but i would assume its an older model if that means anything)

#1 issue when you find yourself (or someone you're helping) shooting LOW is "anticipation" of the recoil. You semi-consciously pull the gun down to compensate for the upcoming recoil. Even veteran shooters can find themselves doing this at times.

Load the gun up with a couple of cylinders empty or put a couple snap-caps in there and then watch. You'll see the gun bob-down. That's the problem, you pull the gun down before it fires and the bullet hits low.

You have to focus on NOT doing it until it becomes a good habit!

There is, however, nothing inherent in a revolver that makes it less accurate than another type of weapon. Properly fired even a snub-nose revolver is accurate to 25 yds or even further.

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    If he is that new I suggest getting him Grant Cunningham's book "gun Digest book of the revolver". Lots of great information for the new revolver shooter. Covers the common revolver types/brands/sizes, discusses grip and gun manipulation pointers, practice and reloading drills, as well as diagnosing problems (shooter or mechanical) and cleaning. Well worth the price of the book for someone new to revolvers.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Uncle

At what distance is he not accurate? He may want to start at like 8 yards and work up from there.

Top Bottom