• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    They are fairly common around Middle Tennessee, every now and again they will have a sale on Ammo. And for the most part they usually have a good selection of various calibers.

They seem to be competitively priced, for a lot of sports items , fitness trackers, etc.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I think I posted this in the other Academy thread, but I loved the locations in NC. Pretty solid selection and fair pricing overall, and they actually catered to the AK crowd more than just about any other "macro" sporting goods store.

When I moved to IN in late 2019, I actually spoke with someone at Academy corporate about expanding in Indiana. They said they were seriously looking into it at the time. I'm glad they didn't close their eyes.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    In my experience at academy, they hire warm bodies, people who know that guns go bang…and that’s about it, I was there once and the employee was trying impress his friend by showing him how to take down a Ruger pc carbine…after a few attempts I tell him how, a few seconds after that the friend asks him a question, and he says “I don’t know”…then looks at me and asks me if I know, a few years ago when the company I work for closed, k told a friend I was going to apply there he said finally someone who knows about guns, he said my wife works there and nobody knew anything about guns

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    In my experience at academy, they hire warm bodies, people who know that guns go bang…and that’s about it, I was there once and the employee was trying impress his friend by showing him how to take down a Ruger pc carbine…after a few attempts I tell him how, a few seconds after that the friend asks him a question, and he says “I don’t know”…then looks at me and asks me if I know, a few years ago when the company I work for closed, k told a friend I was going to apply there he said finally someone who knows about guns, he said my wife works there and nobody knew anything about guns
    Unfortunately I think it depends largely on the store’s location. Kind of like tractor supply, try going in there and asking for something that is in common use like a calf bottle to be told those are a seasonal item, they only carry them around the Holidays.

But you are right , but It’s a good store for many that are aware of what they want and are willing to forgo knowledgeable staff to save a little money.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I just saw an ad saying that there is a new Academy Sports store coming to Lafayette.

I've heard the name but can't recall in what context.
    What say Ingo?
    Is Academy Sports worth looking into, or they just another Dick's?

Thanks
    I remember before the thing picking up 50 rd boxes of 9mm on sale at the Evansville store for $8.99 each

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I don't mind the ones that admit that they don't know something. I appreciate the honesty. It's the ones that try to pretend that they know what they are talking about and just make something up that I really hate.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2023
    Central Indiana
    More outdoor based than Dick’s. One big difference is that they sell firearms and firearm accessories as well as ammo. I’m also from Lafayette and I’m very excited to see that we’re getting an Academy Sports.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I visited some in Florida. Lots of fishing stuff. I didn't check out the firearms much. I liked the stores alot. Its definitely a positive. If you don't like it, you can always not go.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I've been to the one in Louisville. They had a few non firearms related deals. I ended up buying my Old Country offset smoker there.

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Yep I`ve shopped the Terre Haute store for a rifle and they threw in an Acadamy Sports bench top cleaning mat with the purchase. Nice store large inventory of varied outdoor merchandise.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Signs are up in Lafayette and they have a website up for the Lafayette store but no opening date yet.
    Looks like they're getting close.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Unfortunately I think it depends largely on the store’s location. Kind of like tractor supply, try going in there and asking for something that is in common use like a calf bottle to be told those are a seasonal item, they only carry them around the Holidays.

But you are right , but It’s a good store for many that are aware of what they want and are willing to forgo knowledgeable staff to save a little money.
    Their slogan “we’ve got what you need out here” should definitely be in purple.

But yea, she always uses calf bottles around our manger scene.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    One in Clarksville and seems pretty decent. I know a few guys on here like Dicks but I never did care for em.
    Speaking of not letting things slide. Academy Sports is actually in Jeffersonville, not Clarksville. The city line there runs along Highway 31. Sorry for giving you a hard time. ;)

Top Bottom