• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I've finally had enough with the cable bills always rising and since mines about to go up significantly I'll probably just do the internet thing and start streaming. I have had Xfinity for several years and except for the cost my service is actually pretty good but I'm thinking I might be better off with another provider. So far I'm considering Metronet or AT&T. I know speed is a factor and it looks like Metronet's speed and pricing may be the way to go. Anybody have anything good / bad experiences with any of the above to sway my decision.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just make sure they have facilities in your neighborhood. Thanks to monopolistic policies implemented in the beginning of cable, you wont find all providers in your area.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have 600 Mbps for $50 (inclusive of taxes, etc) through Xfinity. Internet only, and they provide the Gateway (actually more expensive to use your own or I would) Never tried metronet. If you call Xfinity to cancel the account, you can probably get the same deal.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I've finally had enough with the cable bills always rising and since mines about to go up significantly I'll probably just do the internet thing and start streaming. I have had Xfinity for several years and except for the cost my service is actually pretty good but I'm thinking I might be better off with another provider. So far I'm considering Metronet or AT&T. I know speed is a factor and it looks like Metronet's speed and pricing may be the way to go. Anybody have anything good / bad experiences with any of the above to sway my decision.
    I liked metronet, plan on getting it in the new place soon. Problem with streaming is if you aren't careful, you'll still be giving your money to the Marxist companies through subscriptions. Eff comcast, direct, dish.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    We don't watch much tv, but to get what we do watch would require subscriptions to multiple streaming plans. Peacock+ doesn't have it all, Hulu doesn't have it all, same for Netflix, etc. To get the 8-10 hours per week of tv, on the channels we watch, would require subscriptions to 3+ services. And of course I still have an internet bill so could do the streaming. For me there was no savings per the math.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I went with fubo and paramount plus.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    We got rid of Xfinity cable and internet and now have Metronet internet only. Speeds are blazing (3 and 4-5 times faster than we had with Xfinity, no buffering and so far no outages — had nearly weekly outages or severe slowdowns with Xfinity). Most services will allow up to 3 users so we share/split them with friends/family and have multiple streaming services and all in less than half what we were paying Xfinity for HD cable/internet.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We don't watch much tv, but to get what we do watch would require subscriptions to multiple streaming plans. Peacock+ doesn't have it all, Hulu doesn't have it all, same for Netflix, etc. To get the 8-10 hours per week of tv, on the channels we watch, would require subscriptions to 3+ services. And of course I still have an internet bill so could do the streaming. For me there was no savings per the math.
    This is what we find when we talk to people who have "cut the cable." Over time, the additions add up and you end up still spending money.

We cut the cable in 2015 and signed up for Netflix. We don't watch much TV either, about 6-7 hours per week. I'm not happy that Netflix keeps increasing their prices. If we run out of things to watch, we will cancel it. We also have Prime Video since we are Prime members on Amazon, but we don't watch much on it. We do forego 2 day shipping and earn $ to apply to video content and we use that to watch a movie occasionally for no cost.

We will watch the Olympics, but I think you can get that for free on Peacock.

We have found out the last few years is that we loathe commercials. We won't ever go back to network/cable TV if we have to endure commercials. When I travel on business, I don't hardly turn on the TV because of that.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I have 600 Mbps for $50 (inclusive of taxes, etc) through Xfinity. Internet only, and they provide the Gateway (actually more expensive to use your own or I would) Never tried metronet. If you call Xfinity to cancel the account, you can probably get the same deal.
    That's interesting. I have xfinity and bought a cable modem a year or so ago to avoid paying a monthly rental fee that keep creeping up.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Got rid of communistcast long ago because a.) the programming sucked balls, b.) the prices for said horrible liberal far left programming was ridiculous, and c.) Why the hell would I support any media company?

Cord cutting is doing the same thing to them that the internet did to newspapers. Taking away money.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We have OTA and bounce around between streaming services depending on what we want to watch. We will run disney for a while, and when we (the kids and wife) run out of shows they'll check out the other services and find something interesting there and cancel one and pick up the other. We never have more than 2 streaming services active at once.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We have OTA and bounce around between streaming services depending on what we want to watch. We will run disney for a while, and when we (the kids and wife) run out of shows they'll check out the other services and find something interesting there and cancel one and pick up the other. We never have more than 2 streaming services active at once.
    This is what I need to do. I think I'll start with Peacock+ after the Olympics and watch Yellowstone, then cancel. Good idea C monkey!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    That's an issue I had with streaming. It's not easy to get the normal channels plus a DVR.

We had AT&T Uverse TV and cable internet (25mbps) for $150 a month ($100 for TV / $50 for internet). AT&T fiber moved in, 300mbps for $55/month. We moved to that and DirectTV stream for the ease of it, with the DVR (included) and the base package it's $70 a month. I did have to buy a Roku device for each TV, but we're $25 a month ahead with similar TV and much faster internet (not to mention the $350 AT&T gave us for signing up)!

We've had it a month and like it so far. DTV has an app and I can watch it all on my phone or iPad (and setup the DVR to record from it).

Pro-tip - Amazon sells aftermarket Roku remotes that will program to your TV so you can control the volume from it (and letting you use just one remote to control the TV).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Streaming is harder with kids, if you have them. If not you have to learn how to juggle what you want. My cable co was $260, now internet alone is $60. To that I already had Prime and Netflix on top of cable then we just get the app we need for the time it takes us to watch the series.

So pay one month Peacock and watched three seasons of Yellowstone, then canceled. That is how you save big.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's interesting. I have xfinity and bought a cable modem a year or so ago to avoid paying a monthly rental fee that keep creeping up.

It is the first time I've ever seen it cheaper to use their stuff, but it was. I'm not sure exactly what the angle is, I'm sure it's not out of the goodness of their hearts. It's not a smart speaker or anything, so it's not listening to me fart and selling the sound clips to fetishists or anything. I *think* perhaps it saves them on maintenance/customer service call stuff since standardized equipment is easier to troubleshoot and I can use the app to do most of it myself if there's an issue.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It is the first time I've ever seen it cheaper to use their stuff, but it was. I'm not sure exactly what the angle is, I'm sure it's not out of the goodness of their hearts. It's not a smart speaker or anything, so it's not listening to me fart and selling the sound clips to fetishists or anything. I *think* perhaps it saves them on maintenance/customer service call stuff since standardized equipment is easier to troubleshoot and I can use the app to do most of it myself if there's an issue.
    you know the millions of free Wi-Fi hotspots across the country they advertise? Your router is one of them. Any other customer within range of your modem can use the private Wi-Fi on thr router and leach your bandwidth as if it was their own.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Congratulations OP. Put that money towards something else every month.
    Just get internet, over the air if you can, and try out 1 movie service at a time.
    Going cold turkey is tough but you can do it!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    you know the millions of free Wi-Fi hotspots across the country they advertise? Your router is one of them. Any other customer within range of your modem can use the private Wi-Fi on thr router and leach your bandwidth as if it was their own.

No, not on residential models. Business models allow that.

Nothing shows up at my house on the wifi map, and no Xfinity wifi shows up on any of my devices until I get near the businesses that do show on the map. In my house, no xfinity hotspot shows up on any of my devices, including my work laptop that was never set up on my home network.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Peacock premium can be free for for some period if you are a subscriber to certain cable/internet providers even if you dont have that providers TV service (may vary by provider and if you do have their TV service or not).

Top Bottom