? About Izaak Walton griffith and Glenpark(hobart)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Im looking for some insight into either of these chapters of the club in NWI. Im thinking of getting into trap shooting and was thinking of joining. Im really not very good meeting new people especially if there jerks. I guess what im asking is if anyone has any current experience with the people in these clubs, are they welcoming? or set in there ways with there long time members? I can say ive heard nothing bad about either so far just loo looking for some reviews here. Ive never shot trap so i would be a super amatuer i know to some people that can be a pain in the ass to deal with.:):

I also know that you can just go an shoot public shoots but i also like the idea of the small indoor range.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    INGO member groovatron is a member of the Griffith chapter you listed above.
    We also have an INGO member in the other one as well. Let me dig up the name and PM both of them to give you more info.
    (bigretic is his name)

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I am a member of the Griffith chapter. I mostly use the club to take my son shooting and fishing. Like any club, there is always going to be those that are set in there ways. There are some good people though. Trap is open to the public on Thursdays till 10pm. Go check it out and see what you think. Its been awhile since I shot trap there, but was thinking about going sometime soon.

MML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    I shot trap at Glenpark for many years I took a 10 year break and last Saturday I took my son there so he can experiance for himself if trap shooting is something he would like to pursue. After being gone all those years there was a handfull of shooters that I remembered from the old days and i can say that it was great to stop by and see them. Going back many years to last Saturday this club has always been very inviting to new shooters or just the casual once in a while shooter. If you enjoy trap shooting try both clubs and see which one fits you best.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Thank you groovatron mml and Jedi for the info. I need to head to them on the trap nights and check them out. I'm leaning more towards glen park cuz I live in demontte it's a bit closer for me. im just getting interested in trap stillhave to figure out a gun to get as well.e

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thank you groovatron mml and Jedi for the info. I need to head to them on the trap nights and check them out. I'm leaning more towards glen park cuz I live in demontte it's a bit closer for me. im just getting interested in trap stillhave to figure out a gun to get as well.e

oh u ffffaaaarrrrr ;)

Are you old? Ie mid-40 and above? The last time I went to the Griffith one (2 years back) it appeared that most of the trap shooters were old late 40 and above. While the Hobart club (went this year) has a much younger group (late teens, 20s and 30s) shooting.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    =jedi;4346982]oh u ffffaaaarrrrr ;)

Are you old? Ie mid-4o or above? The last time I went to to the griffith one (2 years back) appeared that most of the trap shooters were old late 40 anddate?e. While the Hobart club (went this year) has a much younger group (late teens, 20s and 30s) shooting.[/QUOTE]

That sure is a "fancy" smiley face lol i drive to east chicago almost every day for work so i dont care to drive to much on my day off. I am 30 and a little chubby are you looking for a date?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :rofl:
    looking for a date!

pruple below

Jedi is a North of US-30 'thug' you are a South of US-30 redneck no way it would ever work.
    Besides I'm sure like the rest of the nwi ingo group you are a PINKahobic and Jedi's other personality Da PINKFather has a thing for PINK. :p

end pruple

btw :welcome: 2 :ingo:
    in my sig is the link to the nwi ingo social club we get together once a month at winamac for our meet & shoots (tailgating with guns & bacon). There are also Meet & Eats, OC cigar nights as well.

look in the events section for the next OC cigar night its this thrus.
    also subscribe to the status update thread for general talk in 'da region'.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    looking for a date!

pruple below

Jedi is a North of US-30 'thug' you are a South of US-30 redneck no way it would ever work.
    Besides I'm sure like the rest of the nwi ingo group you are a PINKahobic and Jedi's other personality Da PINKFather has a thing for PINK. :p

end pruple

btw :welcome: 2 :ingo:
    in my sig is the link to the nwi ingo social club we get together once a month at winamac for our meet & shoots (tailgating with guns & bacon). There are also Meet & Eats, OC cigar nights as well.

look in the events section for the next OC cigar night its this thrus.
    also subscribe to the status update thread for general talk in 'da region'.

Come on we could do a romeo and juliet thing ;)

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    If you're in Demotte, why not check out Oakwood Gun Club? It's in Wheatfield.

I've been trying to find time to go there someday as I prefer skeet and sporting clays 10x over trap.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    If you're in Demotte, why not check out Oakwood Gun Club? It's in Wheatfield.

I've been trying to find time to go there someday as I prefer skeet and sporting clays 10x over trap.
    I have been thinking about that as well being so close I kind of like the indoor pistol range izaak Walton Hobart has. Have you been there before?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I will be at GPIW on Wed night around 5 or so shooting with my son. If you would like to come shoot or just come out for a tour, please do.
    just ask for me at the trap house.
    -damon
    if i'm not there, just ask for another board member and tell them I told you to stop by for a tour. Someone should (maybe) *wink.. be able to stop shooting and show you around.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    If you enjoy any form of off-road recreation, you might want to check into what this organization has done, historically, in Indiana to tie up all public lands set aside for off road recreation. They were able to successfully kill off road recreational riding , on public lands in our state. It was an ugly, no compromise, land grab by people who wanted sole use of the lands for their own purposes.

It left a bad taste in my mouth and the mouths of members of groups such as The Amarican Motorcyclist Association, who promote intelligent, respectful off road recreation, and responsible management of multiple use areas. So needless to say, I won't be having anything to do with them, and apparently that suits them just fine!

Just my thoughts.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I will be at GPIW on Wed night around 5 or so shooting with my son. If you would like to come shoot or just come out for a tour, please do.
    just ask for me at the trap house.
    -damon
    if i'm not there, just ask for another board member and tell them I told you to stop by for a tour. Someone should (maybe) *wink.. be able to stop shooting and show you around.

Thank you very much i cant make it this week unfortunately my work schedule changes so much im waiting to find a day off this is why i am trying to do a little research here lol.
    as soon as i get a wed night off i am going to come by and at least watch and check the place out. i saw your hours and such on the site and see that you shoot in the winter as well that's my kind of weather this heat is killing me lol.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yes, shooting is year round and rain (snow) or shine. Trap house has both AC and a fireplace, so there's always and escape from the weather no matter the conditions.
    As for the off topic thread jack, pick any national organization you "support" and they've also done things you didn't like.
    Personally, as a life time rider both on an off road, i'm torn on the issue because MOST off road riders are not respectful or give two strokes (pun LOL) about how much damage they are doing, especially when it's public land.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    If you enjoy any form of off-road recreation, you might want to check into what this organization has done, historically, in Indiana to tie up all public lands set aside for off road recreation. They were able to successfully kill off road recreational riding , on public lands in our state. It was an ugly, no compromise, land grab by people who wanted sole use of the lands for their own purposes.

It left a bad taste in my mouth and the mouths of members of groups such as The Amarican Motorcyclist Association, who promote intelligent, respectful off road recreation, and responsible management of multiple use areas. So needless to say, I won't be having anything to do with them, and apparently that suits them just fine!

Just my thoughts.

I enjoy four wheeling and absolutely respect your opinion, and commend you for being one of the people who do actually care, because i do feel that the many people i know that off road(who do not speak for all) don't seem to be concerned with the land as much they have no problem jumping in there oil leaking four wheeler or jeep and driving it all around. alot of people don't realize how such a small about of oil can cause problems with water. it sucks for the people who do enjoy it have to drive to the badlands or other places specially set up for it, but to me its the same as having to drive far to shoot a rifle at 600 yards, it makes it more enjoyable because its not something you can do just everyday.

This is just my thoughts, thanks for your input also.

Yes, shooting is year round and rain (snow) or shine. Trap house has both AC and a fireplace, so there's always and escape from the weather no matter the conditions.
    As for the off topic thread jack, pick any national organization you "support" and they've also done things you didn't like.
    Personally, as a life time rider both on an off road, i'm torn on the issue because MOST off road riders are not respectful or give two strokes (pun LOL) about how much damage they are doing, especially when it's public land.

Thank you for all the info i appreciate it very much. I definitely am going to get out there as soon as i can to look around at least. I work anywhere between 40 and 112 hours a week and don't know my schedule until Friday before the week im working it, also have a wife and 2 daughters so my free time can be super limited. So im looking for something to do when i can find the time.

I've got one more question for you if you don't mind.
    I've read alot about what kind of gun to get to shoot trap i understand from what im reading that you can technically use anything from a pump to 80000 dollar gun. read alot about weight adjustable stocks and all sorts of stuff.
    What would you suggest for someone starting out? i don't mind spending some money(good excuse to buy a new gun:):), but also dont wanna drop 2500 for a nice over under just yet. I don't hunt and don't have any shotguns so this will be something for shooting clay and sitting in the safe. Thanks For all the info.

Anyone with some insight is more than welcome to throw me some advice on gun choices.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I am not a big trap shooter, but one thing I decided was to get fitted for my trap/skeet/sporting clays gun when I do decide to buy.

So, if I were shotgun less and wanted to buy a trap gun I would go cheap. Buy a used 870 or 500 with a 26-32" barrel and have some fun.

If you fall in love with the sport, then buy a $2000+ shotgun that FITS you...

I would not spend more than $350 for a first trap gun. Don't go midlle of the road because if you do yeally like it, you will want a gun made for the sport you like...

Just my 2 cents...

I actually shoot trap with a JC Higgins model 20 12 gauge. (Can be had for $100 with 3 chokes). The rest of my gun collection is mid to high end stuff.

Shooting clay is much harder on a gun than hunting is...
    You could easily put 20 years worth of shots on a trap gun in a few weeks of clays shooting...

Last edited:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    As a lifetime rider/ amateur racer myself, my experience seems to have been 180 degrees out of phase with yours.
    Guess I didn't think anyone would consider it a thread jack. I just assumed that you needed to join or already belong to the IWL to use their ranges. If not, my apologies.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    you do have to be a member to use the indoor range, but you may come with a member as a guest twice to use it and decide if it's for you or not. trap is always open to the public except for ATA sundays which is once a month. I cannot comment on other charters, as rules vary.

trap guns... my opinion, grab an 870 with a 28 inch and an IM choke for $300 ish and see if you like it. I shot with an 870 for a long time before winding up on a beretta 391 parallel trap. even still, I picked that up used for the $800 range. my kid started at 12 on a $100 FIE 20g single shot junko and moved to an 870 then to a new a400 xcel parallel target. you can shoot better on a better gun, I will admit. my kid would consistently hit 13-14 on his 20g single and another member would then give him a 20g beretta 391 and he would consistently hit 20 on back to back games. after a couple weeks, I caved and took him shopping. I still go out and shoot an 870 every now and then, but I do not hit near as many targets with it as I do with my 391 trap. for me, it's about the sight picture of the target. with a "trap" gun, you will typically have an elevated and/or slanted rib that allows you to keep the target in sight when pulling the trigger versus having to "cover" the target when shooting like with an 870 field gun.
    That said, one of my best buds will walk out with any beat 870 or 1187 and hit 23's every time and doen't even need a bead on the barrel. he's just a natural shot and it drives me nuts.
    If you have the time, it is well worth the trip to the indy gun club down in the Fortville area. they have the largest selection of used trap guns around. you can fondle them all and ask a salesperson to fit you on one and even walk right out side and shoot it. I bought both my son's and my trap guns there. If you want to spend some middle ground money on a gun for trap, i'd be looking at BT99's or something trap specific in the $500 to $1000 range at indy gun club.
    it's also worth a call to Dave at oakwood in wheatfield to see if he has anything.

Top Bottom