• iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Course: Paladin Combatives Managing Confrontations
    Date: Nov 1, 2014
    Place: Riley Conservation Club, Riley/Terre Haute, IN
    Instructors: Mike Swisher (cedartop) and Josh Haines (jdhaines)

Overview: The course description linked above is a pretty good overview, and I won't plagiarize it here. In MY words and MY opinion: This is a course that is designed to help us deal with everyday encounters that most of us will have from time to time, or maybe frequently, depending on where you live, work, and play, I suppose. Some students pointed out the fact that they have these confrontations regularly, at the gas station, to and from work, etc. It's mostly designed to give you some ideas and a framework for figuring out what works for you, as opposed to giving you a 4-step procedure for anything. It attempts to deal with any "confrontation" in the early stages, BEFORE it becomes gun time. It attempts to help you avoid becoming a victim by managing the initial stages of the encounter in a way that might dissuade most potential attackers. T&T regulars probably already know that I'm a believer in this kind of material, and this class is no exception.

Two items, in the spirit of full disclosure: First, I was late due to an obligation in the morning, so I don't know what was covered in the hour or so before I got there. Second, this is my second time through this class. That's not unusual for me -- there are a few other classes I've done multiple times, as well. I generally select my training largely based on what I think I'm most likely to actually need and use in my life. That leads to very few classes where we operator up and fastrope out of a helicopter and more courses on fundamentals, low light, etc.

I'm sure Jackson will do an AAR, so I won't spend much time on the kinds of things I think he'll cover.

Here's what I think is most important about this kind of material: In all probability, you really will have many of these kinds of encounters in your life and have the opportunity to actually use these tools and get some benefit from it. Unless you live in a cave in the mountains, you probably can't avoid things like being approached by panhandlers, being approached at the gas pump, encounters in grocery stores or parking lots or walking out of the cinema at night after your first night showing of Frozen. We'll pretty much all have these situations. For many here on INGO, your unfailing situational awareness will keep you safe from any possible negative encounter, so you're good to go. For many of us, though, there's the possibility that SA will, at some point, not be enough and someone will get inside our 21' bubble. They might even talk to us. What then?

Josh and Mike address this possibility beginning at the initial approach, with options and ideas for keeping strangers at a comfortable distance, with encouraging them to find someone else to approach. They introduce or reinforce some verbal tools, movement, awareness, and some approach methods. I like the way they introduce a subject first in discussion, then demonstrate, then give the students an opportunity to try it. You certainly don't HAVE to try any of the things taught in the class, but you have the opportunity. It's a great chance to try new things, to test or improve any ideas you already have, and to see how others do it. They give some great examples of other methods and tactics they've seen or found in their research. That's one of the things I really like about the Paladin guys and their classes -- they are true students of the subjects they teach. They study, they research, they take other courses and incorporate the parts they find valuable, they throw out the parts that don't really seem to work, and they bring all of that background to share with their students.

As the day progressed, they spent some time on what happens if verbal aikido (that's for Mike -- Mike loves aikido) doesn't work and the encounter becomes touchy. They spent some time in and around vehicles, which was completely new to me and definitely valuable. They spent some time teaching a couple of techniques that I think are valuable and relatively easy to teach. I'm mostly against attempting to teach self defense *techniques* in a short class, as I believe very few can really be learned to the point that they're useful in a short time, but they have selected a couple of things that I think are both good exceptions to that rule. One because it's very easy to learn and almost universally effective, and the other because it's such a huge problem if you've never thought about it or tried it before you find yourself there for real. The latter technique ISN'T so easy to really master in a short time, but I still think it's valuable simply because you will at least have seen it, will understand what you have to do, and will have some idea of how to deal with it. Those who choose to do so can even roll around on a nice soft mat for a little while and see how it feels and how quickly you can become fatigued even in a low-stress environment.

At the end of the day, they also share some less-related information on other subjects that they find valuable and useful, and some that maybe are less so. I like their willingness to call it like it is, to compliment those things that deserve it, but also to point out the bad.

This class had an entirely different "feel" or "energy" than my previous iteration of the same class. As always, it's a mix of everyone involved, so not surprising, but always interesting.

Thank you to Josh and Mike for putting on the class, to Jeepcrazed for sponsoring it and bringing it to the area, and to all of my fellow students for the chance to meet you or get to know you a little better and for the things I learned from each of you.

I absolutely recommend this kind of training for EVERYONE. If my daughter was still around and under my roof, I'd take her to this class. There are other good options, and Josh and Mike are the first to point some of them out and mention that a lot of their material is condensed down from some of those that they think are the best. THIS one is a great intro-level class that is low-pressure, low-stress, friendly, and open, and a great way to get an overview of the subject.

My only regret is that rhino left disappointed in one particular expectation...

Thanks again to everyone involved, and I'll post some pics soon.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You had your chance to make rhino's fantasies come true.

That sounds a lot dirtier than it really was.

Thanks for the report, icp!

Those who know me know that I avoid course that cover the physical aspects of this material like the plague, or maybe even more so. I'm still not sure what I did it, but in retrospect I am glad I did. The course material and its presentation by Josh & Mike was well worth my time, and the specific mix of students made it better. I don't know how many more I'll do in the future, but I'm glad I did this.

I enjoyed the chance to practice the verbal skills to dissuade unwanted attention. I have used similar methods in the past on quite a few occasions with some notable failures. I got some new ideas that I will incorporate into my plans and I got reminders of some of the good things I've already been doing.

The portion of the class where Josh & Mike showed us some of their material for what happens inside of vehicles was new to me and thought provoking. I've learned a significant amount about about how to get out of vehicles and how to shoot from them them (and into them), but not what can happen inside. Some of it was counter-intuitive, but once they explained and showed us, it makes good sense. Much of it won't be applicable to me since I will never be able to move around that way inside a normal sized vehicle, but it was good to have the exposure to new ideas.

I liked the progression from the verbal to the standing hands-on, to the ground hands-on. It's a lot like the way we at ACT progress with our shooting and other skills.

I'm glad I did this class. I expected Mike to be an excellent teacher, and he is. I had no preconceived notions about Josh because I had never met him, but he too was an very good presenter of his lessons. He was well organized and stayed focused while still allowing for some exploration of related ideas along the way. They did an great job!

I will also say that for classes like this, the students make a big difference in your overall experience because they all bring a different skillset and mindset with them. That leads to the value of repeating such courses. In this case, I had the unexpected side benefit of learning how to do a specific wrestling move correctly from Coach. I'd learned it in junior high school, but the results were not always good. Now I know what I was doing wrong and whether or not I ever practice it again. I now have a much better idea of how to practice it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Rhino has been disappointed before and I dare say he will be again.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'll post some pics soon.
    skeleton-computer.jpg

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    OK, before I start posting pics, I just want to be clear and remind everyone that these are snapshots of a moment in time. I may have snapped a picture at a moment when someone was demonstrating the WRONG way to do something, or when they were answering a question or any number of other things. These photos have NOT been checked, they are just snapshots of things that were happening. Also, I won't match names to faces except for the instructors, since they're kind of out there as public figures. Also, it will SEEM that this whole course is 'combatives'-type stuff -- I didn't take pictures of the lecture time, or of practicing the verbal pieces, because they wouldn't be very interesting pics. I didn't do videos, and probably wouldn't post those even if I had, because I'd feel like I was giving away their course content. So with all of that out of the way...

Josh and Mike showing some options for covering up and defending against various strikes, supervised by Bullwinkle:

2014-11-01%2011.35.40.jpg

2014-11-01%2011.35.35.jpg

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    You know, guys....he seems pretty reluctant. Like he's setting the stage for the pics to be something less than flattering.

iCP- Are you saying that I won't look like Angelina's pygmy doppelganger?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I guess I won't be able to hear myself in the background proudly announcing that "my ***s are meaty yet supple". (shortly after Andrew planted a boney elbow into one of them).

Please make sure I don't look fat in any of the pictures. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I guess I won't be able to hear myself in the background proudly announcing that "my ***s are meaty yet supple". (shortly after Andrew planted a boney elbow into one of them).

Please make sure I don't look fat in any of the pictures. :)

If they caught that on the audio, they also recorded my response, "Hey! Gynecomastia is not a joke!"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I look like a fat midget next to Coach in that photo where he is swinging that giant meathook at me.

He, likewise, looks like a slightly less fat giant compared to me.

Top Bottom