And the only other pic I took...

8178831016_29b7ee925c_b.jpg

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    M1 Garand, I believe at 300 yards, ringing steel.

IMG_0488.jpg

jrainw's 50 caliber at 300 yards. It was too easy at that range and I believe it bent some of LovemyWood's AR500 steel. Ooooppps!!!! Sorry LMW.

IMG_0487.jpg

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    This was a great day and it will be remembered for a long time. I'd be hard pressed to give a better description than Rayne already did in the OP. I always leave these events feeling a little guilty because I always seem to gain much more than I contribute. That doesn't mean I won't come back if invited though! :yesway::D

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I also wanted to say how proud I was of my son for some of the shots he was making throughout the day. He doesn't go shooting with me nearly as much as I would like, mostly because he's got lots of other stuff he wants to do. Still he kept at it until he made nearly every shot I made. I wasn't the only one hitting steel at 400 yards using a Mosin!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Yes we did!!! Sure wish you could have joined us. Next time, and bring that young pup of yours too. :)

I didn't even know about it! :dunno: and yes he has a couple of long range guns too! :rockwoot::D

My Bad!! I missed out on this one! Ryane sent me and invite! I hate getting old!! :dunno: :D

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    First, let me once again say thank you to Rayne and her husband for hosting us. What a wonderful place to shoot, and a great group of people to shoot with!!! And the food was AWESOME!!!! I am a sucker for Persimmon pudding...and Rayne's was excellent! The pork and other fixin's were also good, even if we did have our rolls with apple butter for desert. ;)

To those of you I hadn't met, it was nice to finally meet you and put faces with <screen>names. To those that I had already met, it was great to see you again and share some time together. That really is what makes INGO great...the people! :ingo:

Hotpocket...the brownies were once again incredible...I think there is a shoot this weekend here in Dudleytown if you can make it over. ;)

Esrice...I like the Wrangler pic, but have to correct you... I'm wearing 5.11 pants in the photo, and my contract with them makes me disclose such things. :D

LMW...still waiting for your pictures to post as well!

Mr. Rainwater...thanks again for the knowledge and for the toys you brought! Glad you could get out of the house and have some fun with us, and we enjoyed your company!

HotPocket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    With Daddy
    I need to add a great big thank you to Rayne Pup for help'n taken care of Papaw Rayne so Rayne had the day to play with us :rockwoot:

Where the heck is Dudleytown?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    [Sorry for the lateness. I had some home events happen that delayed my processing the pictures.]

It's been said already, but the combination of the weather, the setting, and the people made this event truly a marvelous day and one to be remembered for a long time. Everyone there added their own personalities to make this such fun for all.

The Range
    Our hosts were INGO member Rayne and her husband. After the corn crop was in, they prepared a long lane with a hill in the back where we could shoot. (The hill looks more pronounced in some pictures than it others. That's an optical thing. It was substantial.)

They also devised a clever sytem of using a farm wagon pulled by a pickup truck to be a movable shooting platform. It worked quite well. Additionally, a couple of folks brought shooting tables with them.

Course of Fire
    We shot at 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards, 400 yards, and then returned to 100 yards for a pumpkin shoot as the sun began to set on us.

We set up three panels of paper targets and a row of steel targets. Nearly all the steel targets were AR500 material produced by INGO advertiser Bobcat Steel.

wti1r4.jpg

Everyone went about getting their gear out and set up.

10gdahu.jpg

2v8mrk0.jpg

100 Yard Line

Here you get a view of the shooting line at 100 yards.

The focus here was to make sure the rifles were zeroed and running properly. Looking back, I don't recall any mechanical issues during the day. Considering all the hardware in attendance, that's noteworthy.

2ch41gp.jpg

1dzqtt.jpg

2u595iv.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF_iDCr49Vs

200 Yard Line

Now people are beginning to stretch things out just a bit. The original zeros at 100 yards are being fine-tuned. The light wind continued to be nearly always at our backs.

532ypu.jpg

I was given the opportunity to shoot a superb M1 Garand by jblomenberg16! This was at 200 yards and open sights. With my aging eyes, I was a bit intimidated. However, in true Appleseed style I grabbed the loop sling and assumed the prone position. To my surprise I hit steel with nearly all of the eight rounds until I heard the classic 'ping'! That was fun!!

ok6b06.jpg

kb6r2c.jpg

We all were remined how important a good spotter can be in helping to bring our shots in toward the bullseye. Here Rayne takes a turn coaching her shooter.

2qd98o2.jpg

300 Yard Line

OneBadV8 brought his Savage .300WinMag. It is an incredible shooting machine. I had shot it in the past at 200 yards and realized that at that distance, the rifle was not being challenged at all. I was curious whether the longer distances today would approach the envelope where the rifle would begin to be challenged.

I shot it at 300 yards and can positively state that it wasn't in that zone yet. It is such a smooth and accurate shooter. What a joy to shoot! (I think I heard others later say that 400 yards were no issue at all also.) Looks like OBV8 will need to find a 700+ yard range to really test this fine firearm. That's a nice problem to have. :D

10r0o7l.jpg

jrainw brought a bolt action 50 caliber rifle. What a boomer! :rockwoot:
    He made some sight adjustments and I took a few shots with it. I hit some 12" square Bobcat steel. It held up well except for the hits near the edge. Considering the force behind a 50 caliber round, this is impressive. The stand got abused a bit, but nothing that a little welding won't fix. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3W2XRO2mkU

jh5uzd.jpg

400 Yard Line

We moved out to our farthest location. Wow, those targets looked mighty small at that distance. However, people were making good hits even then.

15h0g14.jpg

One of the day's highlights for me was the opportunity to work with DaKruiser as he was shooting a Savage 110 in .308 topped with a Vortex scope. (The rifle belongs to another INGO member. It's been in foster care as I've been working on developing a load it likes. The scope is from INGO advertiser A&A Optics).

As I spotted, he went from using holdovers to making scope adjustments for elevation. The wind was coming from the left now. He worked from the larger steel targets until at the end he was making repeated hits on 4" steel at 400 yards. That's a 1 MOA target!

2vsrgh3.jpg

67ihc0.jpg

Here's proof that a 10" barrel can make long-distance hits. Notice that that is an Aimpoint red dot scope! Not what you normally bring to the line at 400 yards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcVDDtjM6hM

The 'Pumpkin Line' (back at 100 yards)

We set up back at 100 yards to have some fun before we stopped for the day.

rjmv7s.jpg

28bb51c.jpg

A few of the pumpkins had a 'surprise' inside!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6xf_sA6f8

Suprtek showed us how to do it 'old school' with his Mosin. He was able to achieve amazing results with open sights!

3450vp2.jpg

I tried out another rifle in the 'foster care' program at the LMW range. It has a new Vortex PST scope on it. Offhand shots at 100 yards were simple with this system.

2dum8fc.jpg

Watch this video all the way to the end. During nearly all the video she is the model of concentration. It's only at the very last moment that you see the smile that full-auto brings out! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jntjzowF2sM

This is dedication. Notice that jrainw spent the day of shooting even though he was using a walker to get around. See the casts on his foot and wrist? If you hand him a gun and ammo, he'll use it. This guy loves to shoot!

2a4zf2w.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54-iy2zRhA

16hqkw1.jpg

Clean-up was lightning fast as everyone pitched in to help. Then off to the house as the sun set....

Dinner
    I didn't get any pictures of dinner as I was focused on eating it, not looking at it! But fortunately others recorded the fine meal that was prepared and served by this gracious family. (I had to chuckle a bit as I met Rayne's adult daughter. She seem's like Rayne all over again!:D)

Final Thoughts
    If you watch the news and observe our culture, you can become a bit pesimistic about the direction our world is taking.

The best therapy I can think of is to spend an afternoon with a group of INGO folks like this, on a farm in Indiana, hosted by a family such as these people. It will help reset your perspective a bit and remind you that there are some really fine people around us. :)

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Good AAR dave.

@ OneBadV8 my offer still stands to strech your 300's legs a little.

@ everyone who enjoyed the long range shoot. keep a eye out because there is another long range ingo shoot in the fairly near future (end of march) the details are still being ironed out, but they always have a way of working out.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    As long as your ok with shooting in the cold ill probably open the long range around december. I dont like to shoot much on the farm durring deer season.

January? I'm out of town most of December except for the last weekend. Shoot me a PM and we'll work something out :yesway:

Top Bottom