Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There are many different points of view on how to do most things shooting related and other activities. You need to know the why on any technique that you use. Does grip matter? There are those that say it does not, and those who think it is very important. Someone is wrong there. Find out the why always ask questions. Context is also very important.

You can take the course that some folks do and take classes from anyone and everybody and confirm both sides back to the middle and pick through the information and make decisions on what to listen to and what to ignore.

Or you can be very selective and find an instructor that very good at what you need. Both approaches have merit and advantages.

When I was serious about winning football games I went clinics at Notre Dame and learned from Lou Holtz. When I went to the state clinic I went and sat in on the sessions from the state champion coaches. I don't need help on being third in the conference. I did similar clinics in wrestling. My college coach was a hall of fame coach and a National Champion. So I had daily exposure on how things should be done. So when I got conflicting advice in football or wrestling or coaching it was easy to know what to ignore.

Shooting is more confusing. The things I learned from shooting competition was learned by observation, and asking questions. I spent years watching what worked and what did not and a lot of trial and error. I have a decent eye for detail. Rhino had taken classes from nearly everyone out there and is a fountain of information. I have tapped him for information and help for years and will continue to do so.

I have taken classes from Henk Iverson, because of Rhino. I have taken classes from Tom Givens and that has been money well spent. I would equate him with Dan Gable in wrestling and Lou Holtz in football. They are all three great teachers with results that cannot be questioned. I have taken exactly one class for competition from Bob Vogel. World and National championships speak for themselves. I was already Master class before I took that class. I had made a decision that I would get myself to A class, which I did.

I had a client one time tell me that he choose me because of the state titles I had won. I was just glad someone read my website that close.

I have never been in a gun fight and I would like for it to stay that way. So when it comes to techniques and philosophy and making a solid plan A for that situation. A person must sort through a lot of noise and confusion and try to be prepared.

I think a book worth reading is Famous Gunfighters of the Western Frontier by W.B. (Bat) Masterson. BTDT for certain. If you read closely he is talking about mindset without using the word.

Many people working at a gun store should not be. Don't mistake them for experts. Many people instruct that should not. I am not saying this about anyone in particular.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Maybe it depends on the degree of eye dominance, but IMO if one is cross dominant and shooting a rifle or shotgun then changing hands to accommodate their dominant eye, is the thing to do. If they don't, there's no way to get a proper cheek weld and get their eye behind the sights. With handguns you have options.:twocents:

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    That's how I look at it. Pick through the information, and find what best works for me. That is one thing I do hear all instructors say, find the best firearm, gear set up, stance, etc.. that works best for you. Then there is some things that have to be the same across the board like the famous "grip, ." I don't see how gripping the firearm is such a huge debate within the community?! It's a small; precise explosion happening in your hand. GET A HOLD OF IT. There's also trigger press (not the weight, but how you do it).

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    I have heard that the Rogers Shooting School (Bill Rogers, pretty big name in pure shooting instruction) pushes students to use the same hand as their dominant eye.

He does. I'm left handed/right eye dominant, and shot the course the way I have always shot (left handed). But he was very clear on his recommendation to do it the other way. And that was the intermediate/advanced class.

Top Bottom