2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Who, When, Where
    Training Provider: Innovative Tactical Concepts
    Course: Home Invasion Defense Class
    Date: 02/08/14
    Duration: 6 Hours
    Instructor: Brian K. LaMaster View Profile: View Profile: Brian@ITC - INGunOwners
    Students: ~20
    Students from the Board: Slawburger, Others

Related Threads

1. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics-training/330464-free-home-defense-class.html
    2. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fitters-offering-free-home-defence-class.html

Overview
    Home invasions are on the rise in the United States. Every year, criminals break into more than 2 million homes.

In a 10 year period, you have a one-in-five chance of a home invasion. In a 20 year period, your chances rise to a shocking 50-50. Statistically speaking, your home poses more risk than any other location. That's why it is essential to know how to harden your home against attack and protect yourself and your loved ones.

In this home defense course, we will teach you proven guidelines for developing a home defense plan or enhance your current plan. It is designed to deal with the three most likely scenarios:

•You are awakened in the middle of the night by a strange noise.
    •You come home and find your home broken into.
    •You enter you home unaware of the intruder inside.

Facilities
    We had a training room with plenty of chairs and light. The building looks freshly painted and clean. There were several restrooms. Various fast food restaurants were in the immediate vacinity for lunch. The building is in what appears to be a good area with plenty of retail shops in the area and is on a major road. It is easy to find the address but the signage was a subdued color so I didn't notice the sign until I was almost past it. Self Reliance Outfitters has a nice retail shop on the ground level for those interested in camping, treking, trapping and outdoors.

Details
    We began by clearing all firearms and tagging with orange cord through the muzzles. Dave Canterbury from Self Reliance Outfitters introduced himself and Larry (who participated in the course), welcomed us and then introduced Brian LaMaster. Brian introduced Jeff who was assisting him, covered the logistics (bathrooms, fire exits, lunch) and described what we would be covering in the class. PowerPoint slides accompanied the classroom portion of the class. We were encouraged to take notes as handouts were not provided during class (to avoid distraction) but a substantial manual is being provided afterward via e-mail. We discussed statistics concerning the likelihood of a home break-in, social media, identity theft, types of break-in and the people that conduct them, layers of protection, types of firearms (and other tools) and their appropriateness for home defense, doors, windows, security systems, safe rooms, concealment and cover, and when to enter a room. We performed practical exercises in carry positions, identifying the intruder, how to enter a room, use of lights and other tools. Having a second person (Jeff) there allowed us to break up into smaller groups for the practical exercises. There were a few couples present which seemed like a good idea.

Conclusions and Takeaways
    The class was enjoyable and informative. Brian has a lot of experience, believes in what he is teaching and presented the material well. Jeff did a good job assisting Brian and provided valuable feedback during the practical exercises. A six-hour class didn't make me an expert on Home Defense but I left with a lot of new information, more awareness and things to think about. I would recommend this class and instructor.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Can you tell us a bit about some of the exercises and the bigger lessons you took away?

Exercises

1) We tried and compared the low ready, close ready, high ready and Sul positions. There were good explanations provided and if I had to clear the house this lesson will change how I would do it.

2) We put one person in a room as the bad guy and then tried to look into the room exposing as little of ourselves as possible. It was enlightening how little of a difference in movement and position there was between spotting the BG and being seen ourselves. Angles, distance, body position and knowing the room are the keys to seeing the other guy first.

3) We compared weapon mounted lights and handheld lights. We learned different positions to carry a light and compared 200 lumens to 950 lumens in a dark room. We saw how a strobe light works and discussed how it interrupts the thought process. We discussed when to use a light (it varies) and where to shine it.

4) We learned how to use mirrors to your advantage (converting left/right in your head can be tricky).

Lessons

1) Going into the room isn't always the best idea.
    2) Don't be lazy. Take the time to implement some of the concepts presented.
    3) Criminals have changed, there are a lot more things of which to be aware now.
    4) Don't tell everything you know (especially on social media).
    5) It isn't as easy as it looks, learn and practice.
    6) Look at your home from both sides (criminal and defender).

There was a lot more but that gives you an idea. You'll have to take the class to get the full flavor, my description is a poor substitute.

BTW: I thought it was Dave Canterbury that introduced himself at the beginning but he didn't have a beard so maybe it wasn't.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'd like to thank Brian and ITC for offering this class again. Slawburger gave a lot of good details on the class, so I won't repeat them here. I've attended classes with other trainers on various gun/defense topics and I picked up a number of new items to think about and integrate into my self/home defense plans today. The class is very worthwhile as part of your overall training program.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I also attended class today. He had a lot of good ideas and techniques that I'd never thought of. A lot of people think that because they've been around guns their whole lives and they can hit a bullseye at the range, that means they're prepared. Not the case.

Top Bottom