• mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Homeowner Munir Hussain jailed for 30 months for fighting off burglars

From The Times Online

A businessman who fought off knife-wielding thugs who were threatening to kill his family has been jailed for 30 months, while his attackers escaped a jail sentence.
    The case, compared to that of Tony Martin, jailed after he shot dead a teenage burglar at his farmhouse in 2000, has prompted debate over the level of force that householders can legitimately use to defend themselves.
    Munir Hussain and his wife and three children returned from their local mosque during Ramadan to find three intruders, wearing balaclavas, in their home.
    The family members’ hands were tied behind their backs and they were forced to crawl from room to room. Hussain, chairman of the Asian Business Council, was told that he would be killed, but made his escape after throwing a coffee table and enlisted his brother Tokeer in chasing the offenders down the street in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, bringing one of them to the ground.

What followed was described in Reading Crown Court as self-defence that went too far, leaving intruder Walid Salem with a permanent brain injury after he was struck with a cricket bat so hard that it broke into three pieces. Neighbours saw several men beating Salem with weapons including a metal pole.
    Salem was the only intruder caught after the incident on September 3, 2008, but his injuries meant he was not fit to plead after being charged with false imprisonment.
    Salem, who has a string of 50 past convictions, was given a two-year supervision order at a court hearing in September this year. He is currently in custody awaiting trial for an alleged credit card fraud.
    But the brothers, described as family men at the heart of the local community, were found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent after a trial earlier this year. The prosecution alleged two other men took part in the so-called “revenge attack” with them.
    Munir Hussain was given a 30-month sentence, while his brother, Tokeer, was jailed for 39 months.
    More at the source.

It's terrible that such a thing could happen in a so-called civilised country. Jailed for bringing down a criminal. What a sad state of affairs. There really is no hope for England, they're too far gone.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Everyone has the right to be safe in their person, unless they're a law-abiding citizen.

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Excessive force is excessive force.

Here in Indiana, as soon as the schmendricks give up, you're no longer defending yourself and your family if you keep beating them: You're committing criminal assault. if you give chase down the street, you are then the aggressor.

It's the law.

In Jolly Old, the government seems to have decided that the people aren't allowed to use any weapon to defend themselves, and no matter how lame-brained, intrusive and downright stupid we think that is, it's their law. As a result, whacking someone with a cricket bat is grounds for the aforementioned lame-brained, intrusive and downright stupid government to become involved.

It's the lame-brained, intrusive and downright stupid law.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    They tied up his family and told him they were going to kill him. Once you cross that line, your time is up. I don't care if you yell out "take backsies" and run away. You should have to pay for what you've done. As it usually is in England, the law is wrong here, not the man defending his and his families lives. The only "wrong" part about this story is that he only caught one guy and permanently injured his brain.

This criminal has had "a string of 50 past convictions". I think he already had something mentally wrong with him.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    unbelievable....this guy breaks into your home, ties you and your family up, tells you he's going to kill you, and you're saying it was wrong to chase him down and remove his brains with a bat?

THAT mentality is what is wrong with this country (and apparently britain too)

"I was only kidding around when i was breaking into your house, tying you up and threatening to kill you". yeah right. Tell it to your god, cuz you're about to meet him.

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Here: Shoot them while they're still in your house, facing you, and remember: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.

Old Blighty: Rest comfortably knowing that Your Government is There to Protect You.

As for chasing some guy down the street here in Indiana and either shooting him or beating the snot out of him...

Indiana law encourages you to defend your life and the lives and safety of those around you. It allows you both the legal authority and the tools to get the job done.

It also makes it clear that once the jerks are no longer a threat, you aren't allowed to continue to act as if they were.

As long as the guys are posing a death-or-serious-injury threat to you or yours, it's pretty much open season on 'em. Once they're on the floor with their hands on their heads, or have made tracks on off your property, you're obligated to stop, "defending," yourself because, at that point, it's not defense any more... it's revenge.

However, if someone comes into my house and threatens the people I love, and I have the means to get them down on the ground or drive them off of my property, and they do, in fact, manage to lie down or get off my property, I figure that I must be doing something wrong.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sorry, but anyone doing anything similar even here in good 'ol Indiana would likely get similar treatment. They were not defending themselves. They had turned into vigilantes and had become the aggressors.

The laws in Britain are crazy for removing people's rights and abilities for self-defense, but this was not self-defense.

Last edited:

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I would have argued that if the perp already had 50 prior charges against him, he was brain damaged before the beating. Maybe only genetically, but that's good enough for me.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Let's resurrect a zombie with some good news! Munir Hussain, the man in the article has been released upon appeal. He's still found guilty, but he's out of prison now.

From The Times Online

A businessman jailed for seriously injuring an intruder thanked the “whole country" today after he was released from jail after having his sentence cut.
    Munir Hussain, 53, of High Wycombe, was convicted of attacking an armed burglar with a cricket bat, but he was released early after a ruling by the Court of Appeal this morning.
    Mr Hussain, chairman of the Asian Business Council, said the national outpouring of support that followed his conviction had been a “comfort”.
    He was speaking after Britain’s most senior policeman claimed that people who put themselves in danger to tackle criminals should be celebrated as “heroes”. Sir Paul Stephenson, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, said: “People have to make reasonable judgments, but actively discouraging people from being active citizens seems to me to be wrong. Our first response should not be to discourage people from doing it. It should be to applaud their bravery and courage.”
    Read the rest at the source.

At least one judge was sane in the loony bin that Britain's become. Unfortunately, his brother is still imprisoned.

TK421

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Death Star Docking Bay #RL721
    It is worth considering that the Brit who was beaten had been threatening to society on 50 occasions prior to this incident. Are they saying an act of self defense turns into assault the moment after the suspect is no longer "threatening" to the original victim? In that case, one could argue that Hussain's actions were justified even though he nearly killed his would-be attacker. Assuming that had Hussain not taken such extreme action against his attacker, his attacker might have been arrested, jailed, eventually released, and might then make good on his initial threatening promise to Hussain, thereby still making him a threat. So if Hussain was allowed to beat him until he and his family were no longer in danger, then it sounds like he didn't even get the job done. The guy might still be able run them over with his wheel chair or something.

Who knows with the British, they might have just been having friendly game of Cricket/Rugby.

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Look at it this way...
    It would appear the Law there protects the criminal, so now he is a criminal therefore he now has the law to protect him.
    Too easy.

Top Bottom