A Tragedy About A Child & A Gun. Evansville, In.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am confused as to how a 2 year old shot herself. Not saying it did not happen but wondering how.

IKR
    Two year olds do not have the manual dexterity to wield a firearm.
    That gun had to be loaded, cocked, and unlocked.

I don't want to read the story. Too sad, but yes, the firearm owner is ultimately at fault here.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Per the article: Child is expected to survive. The woman who's room the child was in (unattended) fled the scene after the shot was fired, according to the article she didn't want to be arrested on a warrant.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Per the article: Child is expected to survive. The woman who's room the child was in (unattended) fled the scene after the shot was fired, according to the article she didn't want to be arrested on a warrant.

So, not a "proper person"?
    I can't help but think she did not have formal training, or even informal training.
    You get more safety suggestions from the manual than this person used.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

So it is possible that she shot the child. Just saying.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    The article is remarkably vague. I don't believe any 'responsible gun owner' flees the scene when there is a ND surrounding their firearm... There is much left to the assumptions on this article; it will be interesting when the facts come out. I am curious about the nature of the outstanding warrant...

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So sad. I just went to my niece's 2nd birthday party a couple weeks ago. I couldn't imagine something like this happening to her. I'm glad it looks like she'll be okay.

"[FONT=&quot]Sgt. Cullum says there’s a difference between a legal gun owner and a responsible one."[/FONT]

Mark in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Evansville
    The area where the incident happened is one that having defensive weapons is necessary (IMO). Without knowing any more details to the story, I can't have more of an opinion. Except that anytime we have friends with children to visit our home, I secure all of the house guns, except the one that I conceal carry.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I usually see the thumbs being used to pull the trigger.

Reverse the pistol so that one is looking down the muzzle. Use both thumbs to depress the trigger.

Shot hits them just below the nose from what I have seen.

this is how.

It's remarkably easy for it to happen.

No need to be skeptical of it. It happens far too frequently.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Three adults and two other children in the apartment. None of the adults were the parents or legal guardians of the toddler who was injured. Lack of responsibility all around.

Mark in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Evansville
    This mornings news reports that the child will live. There are no charges against the adults, although police are searching for a person who left the scene. The gun was obviously racked with one in the chamber. I hope the police determine who's responsible and prosecute them.

This incident is why better gun education is needed.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Ruffnek, get on a volunteer Department or ride with an ambulance if you can. It is not for everyone, I have 18 years in fire/EMS 11 years full time now. I have seen great EMT’s & Paramedics that just could not take it anymore. I leave it at the scene

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Why that totally fits all my biases, I'm not sure.

Top Bottom