A Third Of Student Debt Holders Spent ‘Extra Money’ They Thought Would Be Wiped Clean…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “Roughly a third of Americans with student loans spent money they would not have normally spent because they were “confident” it would be forgiven under President Joe Biden, according to a new poll.“

“The poll by Intelligent.com surveyed 977 people who would have qualified for at least $10,000 of debt relief under Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan, which was struck down by the Supreme Court last month. Of those, one in three said they spent “extra money” because they were assuming forgiveness, with many spending that money on things like vacations, retail items, and even alcohol, drugs, and gambling.“

“Over half of borrowers now say they don’t feel prepared once student loan repayment starts back up in October, with 35% saying they’re “very unprepared” and 23% saying they’re “somewhat unprepared.” Over a quarter of respondents also claimed they might “refuse to pay” the $10,000 that would have been forgiven under the president’s plan.”

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Of those, one in three said they spent “extra money” because they were assuming forgiveness, with many spending that money on things like vacations, retail items, and even alcohol, drugs, and gambling.“
    There are no safeguards to be certain the money is spent on education?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    “Roughly a third of Americans with student loans spent money they would not have normally spent because they were “confident” it would be forgiven under President Joe Biden, according to a new poll.“

“The poll by Intelligent.com surveyed 977 people who would have qualified for at least $10,000 of debt relief under Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan, which was struck down by the Supreme Court last month. Of those, one in three said they spent “extra money” because they were assuming forgiveness, with many spending that money on things like vacations, retail items, and even alcohol, drugs, and gambling.“

“Over half of borrowers now say they don’t feel prepared once student loan repayment starts back up in October, with 35% saying they’re “very unprepared” and 23% saying they’re “somewhat unprepared.” Over a quarter of respondents also claimed they might “refuse to pay” the $10,000 that would have been forgiven under the president’s plan.”

And another layer of the enslavement onion is built.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana

Not at all shocking. Why not buy up 10,000 dollars worth of toys and gizmos if mommy government is going to just wave her magic wand and make the debt disappear.

Oh right, it’s unconstitutional to wave the wand like that lol :lmfao::lmfao:

It’s cool, we will still spend that money somehow even if it’s not for debt waiving. I hear Big Vladdy Z is needing more weapons again, call up general dynamics and have them wire me another bri… campaign donation!

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    I don't think they were referring to spending money from loans, but rather money that would have possibly been used to make payments on loans.
    I don’t believe there are any restrictions on what the loan money goes to though. How else do all the college kids afford to get blackout drunk at parties every weekend? Lol

Pretty much whatever money is left after paying for the school is free game.

(Could be completely wrong, but I’ve never heard of restrictions)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    That 10K was a drop in the bucket, the people who are screwed would have still been screwed with or without the 10k forgiveness. I know people who took out 80K for social work degrees (that's 800 a month for 10 years). That being said most of us under 35 grew up our entire lives being told if we didn't go to college we would be stupid poor bums.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Something-something chickens, something-something eggs.

When they were surveying the 977 chicken-counters, did they ask "what was your major?" Now that would've been a good data point.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don’t believe there are any restrictions on what the loan money goes to though. How else do all the college kids afford to get blackout drunk at parties every weekend? Lol

Pretty much whatever money is left after paying for the school is free game.

(Could be completely wrong, but I’ve never heard of restrictions)
    Well, it is supposed to be based upon costs for attending college. That does include room and board generally though, so there will be money given to the student which they can then blow on whatever.

I wasn't disputing that though, just that the money they were talking about was not loan money. I don't even think people still in school were even eligible for the 10K.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    An ancient book of wisdom says "the borrower is subject (slave) of the lender". That is always the case, no matter who is the borrower, who is the lender, or what the loan was for. You would think that basic principle would be understood by anyone smart enough to go to college. Going on vacation with money you owe is a statement of irresponsibility.

I know it is a big pile of money. That does not negate the moral responsibility of paying it back. My first son was born with a lot of complications. My insurance had no baby coverage. I owed more to the hospital than a house cost. I labored and paid that bill off with years of sacrifice. It was the right thing to do. Unlike college loans, that bill was not even from my choices

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    There are no safeguards to be certain the money is spent on education?
    Not to Denny up the thread, but I think it's talking about money that would have been used to pay back the loans being wasted, not the money from the loans themselves.

ETA: Note to self, scroll all the way through the thread before answering a question lest you repeat an answer already given...

Top Bottom