• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    After owning my Saiga for 3 years, I thought I would do the conversion. I thought about varieties of options but didn't find quite what I liked. So what started as making a pistol grip with my multi-tool, turned into me making the pistol grip, a receiver block, a stock, and a bullet guide to complete the conversion along with the kit from CSS. I made the receiver block, grip, and butt from the same $3 piece of wood. The rough shape of each was carved with the multi-tool, then I used a hacksaw, drill, files, sandpaper, and exacto knife to do the rest. The wire for the stock is 3/8" cold rolled steel, clamped in a vice and bent by hand. The bullet guide was made from a 1" diam. steel pipe, cut out with a hacksaw and filed to fit. The countersink looks horrible because I don't have a countersink bit, oh well. I finished the wood with Red Mahogany, and fast drying poly. pistolgrip.png

pistolgripblood.png
    Even put my own blood in it.

pistolgripbulletguide.png
    The bullet guide.

saigacompletion.png
    Completion.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I love DIY gun projects. Way to go. Looks good. And it's alway need to say you did it your self! Do you have any closer pics of the stock?

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks! I love doing as much as I can myself, if and when I want to. Yeah I got a closer pic of the stock...just one sec...
    pistolgripstock.png

The bar steel is inserted 1 3/4" into the butt and 1 1/2" into the receiver block, then epoxied in place.

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    I too have a saiga I want to convert, I'm a bit apprehensive about doing it my self though. I want to thread the barrel to add a muzzle device, along with the trigger group being moved into the correct place.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Looks good to me. I have a SAIGA 223 that has been converted by the now long gone Fuzzy Bunny Movies Guns. I miss those folks...

At the coming AK Build Party though I plan on cutting the now welded ACE Stock block out of the rear and replacing it with a regular rear trunnion so I can easily swich stocks around as I see fit. I want a regular full stock for now buy if I hit the lottery I will put one of those full looking folders on it with the little side clasp and all. Maybe I have one already in the garage of doom but saying that is like saying I don't have one. :):

Good looking Saiga 1861Navy!

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I too have a saiga I want to convert, I'm a bit apprehensive about doing it my self though. I want to thread the barrel to add a muzzle device, along with the trigger group being moved into the correct place.

I was a bit nervous about it myself at first, but once I had watched several videos on youtube, and had my parts kit from CSS. Then made the pistol grip and stock etc., that all went away. Getting the BHO spring back in was an utter PITA, other than that it all went really fast, probably about 1hr. or so I think for the trigger conversion. I can't comment to threading the barrel as I have never done that. But if you're looking for help with conversion and barrel threading, the upcoming AK build party would be the place.

Looks good to me. I have a SAIGA 223 that has been converted by the now long gone Fuzzy Bunny Movies Guns. I miss those folks...

At the coming AK Build Party though I plan on cutting the now welded ACE Stock block out of the rear and replacing it with a regular rear trunnion so I can easily swich stocks around as I see fit. I want a regular full stock for now buy if I hit the lottery I will put one of those full looking folders on it with the little side clasp and all. Maybe I have one already in the garage of doom but saying that is like saying I don't have one. :):

Thanks! I'm totally with you on being able to change stocks out, the receiver block I made attaches similar to an internal receiver block, but I left the top tang on to be able to switch to a more normal style stock if I felt like it. However, I really like wire stocks.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

You may already know this, but when you buy the rear tang for that Saiga, make sure to buy one for an AK-74. Did the same thing on my 308 version.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Sorry for the late reply but I knew to buy the AK74 and have on in hand. For now I just want to put a NATO Length Plum Stock on it but it looks like I will be buying new. That's OK but was hoping to find a used one so I wasn't pauing so much for it but them's the breaks I guess. :)

Top Bottom