• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My decision on defense rifles really was based on the idea of how many firefights do you expect and how many can you survive? That said, I expect to let fly with everything if one starts as my plan is for no casualties. Mostly I just expect to lay low.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I wouldn't really consider an Aero to be entry level. More like journeyman level. Feel free to flame me and or politely disagree. But only if you can explain why. I'm always ready to learn more about why my suppositions are goofy. That said, while I would prefer to only have higher quality tools, there's no accounting for taste. And some of the stuff I like is cheesy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Firearms are one of the areas where you can spend a lot more, and not get any better of a machine. I can separate value purchases from pride purchases

A lower tier $4000 Beretta O/U is not inferior in any way to Beretta SO3 EELL that will bring $25,000. plus. My Cadillac was nice but really not a better machine than the Buick. A 10TOP PRS guitar does not play or sound any better than the same style Core model that is one 5th the price, but the 10TOP models sure are pretty.

The best value will never be on the bottom end. Once the money is spent on quality design and workings, additional price is consumed in bling, pride and features that generally make no difference.

Don't get me wrong, I love a Winchester model 70 Super Grade VI rifle as much as anyone, but it is no better of a rifle than the Winchester model 70 Sharpshooter as far as being dependable and accurate.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    One's definition of SHTF could dictate choices. Generically, hoards of people spreading out from inner cities to suburbs to rural seeking resources, I'd prefer as many peeps as I could get, even if each of us only had a black friday 'sport' rifle. If the 'sport' rifles aren't gonna hold up, surely they'll work as a liberator weapon. None of my bargain rifles have ever failed. But I've never used them to fight off the near east side day-in and day-out. I doubt I ever will. For engagement with a dozen or so baddies at 100 yards, I'll take my chances with any reputable manufacturer's rifle that's been on the market for a while.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The longer I'm "in the hobby" - the more I've been moving towards "quality" over "quantity".

But I do totally understand that quantity is a quality all its own.

As I go forward from here and now, though, I've decided that I've got a minimum threshold for what quality is. In that I'd rather pay for Aero Precision AR stuff vs. Anderson / PSA / re-branded or store-brand stuff. And if I can find BCM at OK prices - then BCM it is.

If I'm ever in a place to start gaining "quantity" again, I've at least got a plan so that I'm not spending $ willy nilly just to accumulate stuff.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    As always, some Good advice on this thread.
    Speaking solely from Personal Experience: I do Not use High Dollar for EDC (in case "something happens" & it's confiscated for whatever reason).
    Having said that, I have some "Safe Queens" from Inheritance & Purchase-simply because I Wanted them.
    Love Shooting them all!
    I know you asked that "Both" Not be a response, but unfortunately-"That's just the Way it is" in my case.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Quality over quantity. With that said, there are different levels of quality to rely on.
    Everyday carry… must be reliable and do the job. Shouldn’t break your heart or bank account if it end’s up in lockup after defensive use. Have an identical spare.
    SHTF… “mobs of rioters or the like” invading your AO in a civil unrest situation… whatever works, as at that point, who cares if it’s a 500 dollar pistol or a 5000 dollar Perazzi shotgun. At that point survival is the word of the day and if you’re neighbors and you are bunking together for safety you all better have quality equipment. US Army doesn’t issue a Colt/FN M4 to one soldier in the unit and “DPMS or Saints” to the rest of the unit.
    Doesn’t mean lower cost tools won’t work… but you should at least stack the odds in your favor.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I wouldn't really consider an Aero to be entry level. More like journeyman level. Feel free to flame me and or politely disagree. But only if you can explain why. I'm always ready to learn more about why my suppositions are goofy. That said, while I would prefer to only have higher quality tools, there's no accounting for taste. And some of the stuff I like is cheesy.
    Aero is actually my "high end" AR.

:):

I think that people mistakenly believe that the more they spend on their "battle rifle," the more likely they are to prevail in any hostile engagement. But there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to spending money on a firearm. Mid-tier (pricewise) usually make the most sense from an affordability and reliability standpoint. Spending big money is no guarantee that your weapon is immune to failure. They are machines, and machines fail. The best that you can do is to get something with a solid reputation for reliability, and Aero fills that need for me.

Once you've hit the reliability requirement, everything else is arguing over how many angels you can fit on the head of a pin.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I feel that the decision to and what to carry is really personal. In the days of 80-90S, revolvers were abundant. Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger,Colt , even Taurus ruled EDC.

1911's were common, stock or custom all depended on your choices.
    Then came Sig, Glock, Walther, and those grew up fast,
    Now it's mostly Semi Autos, but those revolvers keep ticking along.

Longguns are affected too. I bought a single shot shotgun, that led to a pump style Mossberg, Add a Semi Auto. Rifles were similar, bolt action 22lr up to lever 30-30 Winchesters.
    AR/AK's just burst the bubble in popularity.

I'm a mid range expense shopper, owning some decent models without giving away the bank. Dependable, parts, experience, and just simple like or dislike drive me to the local LGS.
    Learn about your hobby, take classes, talk with like minded guys. Even attend an INGO meet and eat and get some firearms background!

I'm glad to say it's relaxing to enjoy a hobby or firearm ownership, and support our 2nd Amendment. Good uck.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Different thought process. Price and quality sometimes aren't on the same plane. My best choice of what I have on hand doesn't factor in price, and my best untried choice of what I can buy sometimes doesn't meet expectations. I have a cheap red dot on my favorite rifle that always delivers and good ones in a drawer, but it's already gtg so it's going to stay.

I reached the point of 100 trust in MY rifle and MY pistol, but it's been a long journey. I'm still working out the shotgun. The rest is just stuff acquired along the way.

I have a very accurate shotgun but range time punishes my shoulder, even with low recoil.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Aero is actually my "high end" AR.

:):

I think that people mistakenly believe that the more they spend on their "battle rifle," the more likely they are to prevail in any hostile engagement. But there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to spending money on a firearm. Mid-tier (pricewise) usually make the most sense from an affordability and reliability standpoint. Spending big money is no guarantee that your weapon is immune to failure. They are machines, and machines fail. The best that you can do is to get something with a solid reputation for reliability, and Aero fills that need for me.

Once you've hit the reliability requirement, everything else is arguing over how many angels you can fit on the head of a pin.
    When one son was on deployment to Okinawa during all the MC Covid stupidness 3rd LAR had a date at the ranges with there M4s.
    2/3rds of the platoons ended up being down and out with Covid and on base lockdown.
    Ammo and other fun had already been checked out and were at the range.
    Where im heading is the next 30 hours of so each Marine shot 2,200 to 2,600 rds through there M4's. All through the night with tracers wearing nods.
    I had shipped him a little tiny bottle of Lucas Synthetic Gun oil a few years before.
    Most of his brothers FTF started every 4-600 rds, my son said with his first stoppage he started wetting the carrier and bolt assy every 200 rds or so. His FTF went up over a 1,000 rds then.
    Its interesting to listen what he has to say before and after 4 years as a grunt.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    All one has to do is go to AR15.com and peruse the AR15 discussion boards or the Shotgun boards in the Armory section. "Look what I bought" seems to be the theme. They seem to be more concerned with the name brand than anything else. The fact is, unless you're a true operator that relies on his guns and skillset to survive day in and day out, or use your rifle or shotgun to make money in competition, you will probably never run your budget gun hard enough or long enough to actually break it. I prefer to build mine and they are typically from Anderson and Aero lowers and uppers and parts from places I trust. It is a hobby for me and that's pretty much it. I typically build a rifle, shoot it awhile to make sure it works and sight it in and then put it in the safe and start the process all over again. I enjoy the build process more than the shooting aspect I guess.
    I guess the morale of the story is, buy your guns according to what you can afford. Invest the time and money to learn to shoot them. Learn how to take them apart completely and put them back together. That goes for rifles, shotguns, handguns or whatever. Don't get caught up in the whole "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality and you will enjoy the sport a whole lot more.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    All one has to do is go to AR15.com and peruse the AR15 discussion boards or the Shotgun boards in the Armory section. "Look what I bought" seems to be the theme. They seem to be more concerned with the name brand than anything else. The fact is, unless you're a true operator that relies on his guns and skillset to survive day in and day out, or use your rifle or shotgun to make money in competition, you will probably never run your budget gun hard enough or long enough to actually break it. I prefer to build mine and they are typically from Anderson and Aero lowers and uppers and parts from places I trust. It is a hobby for me and that's pretty much it. I typically build a rifle, shoot it awhile to make sure it works and sight it in and then put it in the safe and start the process all over again. I enjoy the build process more than the shooting aspect I guess.
    I guess the morale of the story is, buy your guns according to what you can afford. Invest the time and money to learn to shoot them. Learn how to take them apart completely and put them back together. That goes for rifles, shotguns, handguns or whatever. Don't get caught up in the whole "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality and you will enjoy the sport a whole lot more.
    We are more of a real life family, if its not reliable in the field, we want no parts of it.
    Due diligence is time and money well spent.

The Morale really is, for the range blasting it matters not what quality one purchases.
    If one wants or needs quality and cant afford it, make payments on it.
    When its needed we have no desire to hear the "click" when its time to hear Bang.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    AK-47 it is, then!

:)
    My youngest used to think the same thing, until he was old enough to do some range time with one of ours.
    I think these are a decent AK
    20221204_160541.jpg

I know of two young Marines long ago in a far away land that had a few shooting at them with AK's from about 600 meters out.
    Bullet's were impacting a few hundred meters from those two Marines.
    Those Marines sent a few 173 grain projectiles downrange.

20221204_160925_HDR.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Its a 200 meter and under bullet hose for sure.
    Don’t forget the reliability. It could be argued that reliability is more important than pinpoint accuracy for most SHTF applications. Also, no little bottle of Lucas oil needed, so that’s kinda nice.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Don’t forget the reliability. It could be argued that reliability is more important than pinpoint accuracy for most SHTF applications. Also, no little bottle of Lucas oil needed, so that’s kinda nice.
    Most likely im gonna engage long before that 200 meter threshold has been broken.
    And your saying AK's dont need lubrication and weren't issued with an oil bottle?

Top Bottom