9mm vs. .45 15 experts give their opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It is interesting how .40S&W has fallen out of favor so quickly. Give Yeager some credit, at least he bashed on 40 when 40'was still cool.

Bandwagon. The FBI dumps .40 so its days are numbered, blah blah blah. I've actually seen people on other forums saying .40 will be tough to find, prices will go up, bullet technology won't advance, etc. for the .40 because the FBI is moving away from it. I just pointed out its been a long time since the FBI carried .357 magnum or .45...yet it still seems pretty common, new cartridges are released, and its price has been rising at the same rate as all other ammo...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I live in Bigfoot country and while I often carry a 9mm when I fish, train the dogs or anything else, when I go deep in the woods I prefer .45.

Along with choice of caliber comes multiple options to carry or you won't. That is where those skinny ass 1911's keep hangin' on. It's easier for the emotionally crippled apoplectic trigger snobs to carry.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ok, now that I'm on a computer:

1) Who cares what these guys like? Mission drives the gear train (said in operator-speak so they'll get it). If I was going to go against multiple assailants in a combat scenario, had NATO logistics, etc, then my answer might be quite different then "protect myself from random attacks stateside." Capacity seldom matters.

2) Why is the bullet technology so magical that it improves the 9mm but nothing else? Right, it doesn't. The .45 still expands more, penetrates just as deep, and is less velocity dependent. Gel blocks don't have arteries, organs, or nerves. Cardboard targets don't have a will to fight or a pain threshold that they surrender at. More tissue damage = better.

3) Cost is easily overcome by reloading. Cut out 30 minutes of TV time a day and crank out a box of ammo.

4) I'm just glad we all agree .40 isn't even in the running. :D

5) Faster followup shots are great. Grab yourself a timer and see how much difference there really is at most self defense shooting ranges. At 5y and in if you're grip and technique is right, you're probably able to run the gun as fast as you can pull the trigger and keep it on "A" zone for 4-5 shots anyway. 25y plus where you need to let the sights settle a bit more, yeah, you'll start to see more differences.

Carry what you want. Carry what you can control and shoot well. Timers and targets don't lie, though, and at the end of the day if all else is equal I'll take more tissue destruction over more capacity for stateside SD carry.
    Pretty well sums it up.:+1:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think it is interesting that everyone now gives the 9mm the official "nod" because of capacity, yet it seems like the majority of the the 9mm carriers (based upon comments on here and FB about Shields, G43, Sig 938) carry models with 6-7 round mags... I have the same number of rounds in my P220 compact.

I agree. Capacity is an important consideration, IMO. So I carry a PPQ that holds 15+1. But if I were going to carry 7 rounds, I'd have a .45. Recoil management isn't that big of a deal in a defensive gun to me, and I laugh when keyboard ninjas talk about split times. I don't think the extra size in the wound channel of the .45 negates the capacity benefit of the 9mm, but I'm not going to carry a 7 shot 9mm, when there are so many great .45 options with that capacity. Just my opinion. It's mine, and no one else's. But it doesn't stink that bad, I keep it washed.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I think it is interesting that everyone now gives the 9mm the official "nod" because of capacity, yet it seems like the majority of the the 9mm carriers (based upon comments on here and FB about Shields, G43, Sig 938) carry models with 6-7 round mags... I have the same number of rounds in my P220 compact.

Interesting, I don't find that to be the case. Huge caveat there being, often times what people bring to class and train with is not what they carry, so that is going to bias my experience.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I agree. Capacity is an important consideration, IMO. So I carry a PPQ that holds 15+1. But if I were going to carry 7 rounds, I'd have a .45. Recoil management isn't that big of a deal in a defensive gun to me, and I laugh when keyboard ninjas talk about split times. I don't think the extra size in the wound channel of the .45 negates the capacity benefit of the 9mm, but I'm not going to carry a 7 shot 9mm, when there are so many great .45 options with that capacity. Just my opinion. It's mine, and no one else's. But it doesn't stink that bad, I keep it washed.
    in my youth I was a slave to 12 gauge and .45. When I turned 40 I applied a rule to all things in my life, build it, pack it, arrange it as if I was 60. So I added more 20 gauge and 9mm so I would know them before/if I needed them.

One thing .380 excelled at and now 9mm is tackle box guns. Small .45's just don't do well in that scenario (or in my underwear).

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      222.3 KB · Views: 20

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I like these kind here.....Still fun reading this thread....:)

357poster.jpg

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    James would just confuse the issue and tell us that .40S&W is where it is at........ OK maybe not. It is interesting how .40S&W has fallen out of favor so quickly. Give Yeager some credit, at least he bashed on 40 when 40'was still cool.

Yeah, what VERT said! ( and he can dash the 40 as well as bash a 40! ) :whistle:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If I could reload a revolver in sub zero temps I would be all over it. If they make a 10 to 15 round .357 I am in. This is where the case starts to be made for 10mm. I am close to stepping over that line.

PS if you stick your tongue on a revolver in sub zero it will stick. The magic Glock coating is not as bad.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom