9mm handguns with low muzzle flip & perceived recoil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I have sumthin you might like.

internet-o_rlyeh.jpg

SharkyZiff

Plinker
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers
    Since no one has mentioned it, I will put in a vote for the M&P 9L full frame or better yet the M&P Pro 9 both with 5" barrel, see my avatar. (Standard M&P 9 full frame has a 4.25" barrel which I am sure is very nice also though I have never shot one.)

I personally have the M&P Pro 9 in two tone and think it meets your criteria very well, it shoots super smooth IMO with very little recoil and muzzle flip. Three grips sizes would also be a plus for your wife to get a custom fit. The M&P 9L would be a cheaper alternative to the Pro (Pro just has fancy sights and trigger job.) You should check them out! :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    Give the Ruger SR9, with it's very low bore axis, a look. Also 92FS/PT92. The bore axis on the Sig does seem a bit high, but it can be gotten used to. Sig 226 is one of my dream guns.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Give the Ruger SR9, with it's very low bore axis, a look. Also 92FS/PT92. The bore axis on the Sig does seem a bit high, but it can be gotten used to. Sig 226 is one of my dream guns.

Didn't like the SR9 much - but oddly, the 9C I did like - which I did NOT expect.

I know where you could get a P226...with all the factory action work. And night sights... ;)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    Didn't like the SR9 much - but oddly, the 9C I did like - which I did NOT expect.

I know where you could get a P226...with all the factory action work. And night sights... ;)

LOL I don't have any cash, and nothing that would be remotely a fair trade, assuming your Sig isn't clobbered. If you've gotta get rid of her, you'll do alright in the classifieds... though since I have a love for Sigs, you should be posting pictures of it!

Have you put hands on an M&P yet?

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    LOL I don't have any cash, and nothing that would be remotely a fair trade, assuming your Sig isn't clobbered. If you've gotta get rid of her, you'll do alright in the classifieds... though since I have a love for Sigs, you should be posting pictures of it!

There are a couple pics on the Handgun Show-n-Tell thread. :)

Have you put hands on an M&P yet?

No - I suppose I should try one out.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    We were; didn't see a lot of deals. One nice Model 10, that was about it.

You came right by my tables but were facing the other direction. I remember the hair! :yesway: Was that Model 10 a 6" for $300 btw? I almost bought one and passed, went back and it was gone and then today saw it on another dealers table for $450!!! ;)

BTW, 6" .357s shoot very nicely!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    You know, as pretty as the wood grips are, it may be worthwhile to find some original plastic grips and try them out. They are probably thinner, which may make it fit your hand better, and let you get a slightly higher grip.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Went and looked. She's a real beauty! Are those 10 or 15 round magazines?

I received 2 factory 10-rounders and a Mecgar 18 rounder with the gun.

As far as the grips - oddly enough I also received the factory plastic grips with the gun as well. I'm not sure it'd be possible to grip it any higher though; the top of my hand's already resting up against the guard on the back of the frame...

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would recommend a Beretta 92FS, or a CZ 75B. Both accurate and controllable pistols. The 92FS is decocker + safety. The 75 has two models. One is safety only, and they also have a decocker model. For a polymer pistol I just picked up an FNP9, It is one of the most controllable polymer framed 9mm's I have shot. It is decocker only, unless you get the USG model. It is decocker + safety. I would also recommend a Springfield Xd you can get a 3",4", or 5" model. Springfield Xdm 3.8", or 4.5" model. I would also recommend the S&W M&P. You can get the pro series, which is a 5" barrel if I'm not mistaken. Also 3 1/4", 4", or 4 1/4" model. My :twocents:

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Jun 5, 2010
    HK USP & HK USP Compact & HK P2000

I also like my Kahr PM9 the recoil is pretty easy....

Ill report back after I shoot this highpower I just got....I imagine its going to be easy on the recoil since its heavy

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Check out the Bereta PX4 storm in 9mm.

I have one and it has been a great shooter. The size plus the rotating barrel design make for very little felt recoil and muzzel flip.

If you ever make it down to Indy on the weekends I am usually at Eagle creek pistol range and would be happy to let you try it out.

-James

Top Bottom