9mm handguns with low muzzle flip & perceived recoil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Had my newly traded for P226 out at the range today. I definitely know the meaning of "flippy" now. Lots of muzzle flip.

What are some good 9mm pistols with low muzzle flip and perceived recoil? Looking for a good defensive weapon + one that I can ease my wife into > .22 LR shooting with.

Frame size is not an issue - can be full size or compact, or even sub-, though I'm betting only full size will fit the bill here.

XtremeVel

Master
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What are some good 9mm pistols with low muzzle flip and perceived recoil? Looking for a good defensive weapon + one that I can ease my wife into > .22 LR shooting with.

Frame size is not an issue - can be full size or compact, or even sub-, though I'm betting only full size will fit the bill here.

Might be hard to find one that satisifies both you and your wife. Now, my wife is very recoil sensative, but she loves her new Kahr CW9. She likes how it fits her hand perfectly, and the weight. She doesn't find the recoil intimidating at all. The only issue was first time out, she shot 250 rds thru it and the rough back strap made her hand sore. Since, we hit it slightly with fine grit sandpaper and it made a world of difference.

Here's a pic of it next to a P22 and Ruger Sp101 so you can get an idea of size. It is rather small, but the polymer frame seems to absorb a fair amount of the recoil and it is surprisingly accurate once you get used to the long but smooth double action trigger pull.

DSCN1792.jpg

Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    What does the "L" denote in G17L?

That's an older model of longslide Glock that has since been replaced by the Glock 34. Essentially the same thing as the Glock 34 except I believe the 17l didn't have slide material removed at the front to even out the weight (someone feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Blearg, I hate to ask - how about the base G17? (Or even a 19.)

Either is low on the scale of "flippiness". :D

Glocks allow for a very high grip, putting your hand more in line with the barrel, thereby allowing you to have more control over recoil.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have an Astra A75 in 9mm that eats anything and feels like nothing when shooting it.

Close range would be fine... target shooting at long distances not so much.

Of course I am looking for a high capacity 9 as well since my Astra holds 8.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    Of the several 9mm pistols that I've fired:

Glock 17
    Steyr M9-A1 (What Glock wants to be when it grows up...hehe)
    Beretta 92
    CZ-75
    Sig P-250 full-size
    Glock 19
    HiPower
    S&W M&P compact...I can only imagine that the full-size is the cat's meow

In my mind, there's relatively little difference between the above in terms of muzzle flip / felt recoil, but I've still tried to list them from lowest to highest.

No offense to you at all OP, but muzzle flip from an all metal gun? How's your grip? It could very well be that your new Sig just doesn't "fit" you very well, you know? Poor ergonomics for your mitts and all that jazz.

-J-

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    No offense to you at all OP, but muzzle flip from an all metal gun? How's your grip? It could very well be that your new Sig just doesn't "fit" you very well, you know? Poor ergonomics for your mitts and all that jazz.

-J-

Entirely possible! I do have small hands and the P226 grip is pretty wide. It "feels" good in my hand, just gives me a lot of flip. /shrug. Different guns for different guys!

It's a beautiful gun though... Heh.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What are some good 9mm pistols with low muzzle flip and perceived recoil? Looking for a good defensive weapon + one that I can ease my wife into

Minimizing muzzle flip and felt recoil in terms of handgun design equates to 1) having the boreline as low over the hand as possible, and 2) heavier is better. How fast the slide reciprocates is also a factor, which is influenced by both the mass of the slide and the combination of springs that affect its travel in a specific gun.

In practice, a good two-handed grip will make as much difference. Not all grips are created equal.

In my experience, the 9mm pistols that have the least amount of muzzle flip and perceived recoil have been 1911-based guns with steel frames. Shooting them is not a lot different than shooting a .22. None of the plastic-framed guns (that I've tried) even come close.

Top Bottom