• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    STOP with the NecroThread revivals! If you don't have anything new to say, don't say anything at all.
    Technology has changed enough in 11 years that a revisit won't hurt.. 9MM is the cheapest to practice with and to get follow up shots on target with simply because it has less recoil. If you like something bigger to each his own. :) My personal feeling is that a properly placed shot a from a 9MM will dispatch anything on the continent.

IMHO the bottom line is, the pistol and caliber you are most accurate with should always be your preferred choice.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Cardsfan29315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    New Albany
    40 is dying but per, I like it so I’ve been able to get some really good deals on those guns. Picked up a Beretta Inox in .40 that was basically new year for $400.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    40 is dying but per, I like it so I’ve been able to get some really good deals on those guns. Picked up a Beretta Inox in .40 that was basically new year for $400.

For people that don't mind 40, now is the best time ever to buy them and stock up on ammo. It seems like a lot of places are closing out their 40 handguns. Ammo can also easily be purchased for under 30 cents/round.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    i stick to 9mm i dont have large hands and almost every handgun ive owned has been 9mm besides my 1911

im not a fan of the way 40 s&w recoils and i couldnt comfortably fit a 45 double stack weapon on me or in my hands and be able to operate it well one handed (if i get injured)

so i stick to 9mm for the majority of my handguns

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    For people that don't mind 40, now is the best time ever to buy them and stock up on ammo. It seems like a lot of places are closing out their 40 handguns. Ammo can also easily be purchased for under 30 cents/round.

I managed to pick up some for a lot less than that...
    IMO... .40 will never fully go away... there'll still be a market for it, but it won't be near the public market with law enforcement going away from it.
    Me, personally, I prefer .45 acp to .40 or 9mm...but have carried the other two on occasion.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Ok, I usually stay out of these and linger, BUT the fact that all 3 are very very similar in results with good Hollow point loads im jumping in... Being the way I am, and planning my weapon systems around sharing calibers and following logic, I MUST assume that is the real SHTF, I may not be able to have tons of HP ammo, and Ball would then find its way into primary usage. (stack it deep)!. So...

>> :twocents: Disclaimer: I am no expert, but a hapless enthusiast trying to blindly stumble my way to an answer in the same debate<<

Assumptions: Calibers are equal WITH modern HP ammo, you already have the option between the big 3 calibers - cost not being an issue, Accuracy and Followup shots roughly equal due to training, mostly self / home defense usage with battle field promotion for SHTF needs.

1) 9mm is best at capacity / weight etc.
    We all know this. Even a mouse gun can carry 7+ rounds and full size gets close to 18+ rounds. Throw in a singular spare mags (we should all have one) and your toting 1/2 a box! The Ball vesion of the ammo leaves a little to be desired in damage.

2) 45acp is better than 9mm when ball ammo is used (bigger hole). 45acp is heavier than 9mm by about ~30%. 45acp reduced your on deck capacity to about 10 at best. (striker / poly / 1911 whatever)

3) then inherently 40sw fits a nice area. It does exactly what the FBI set out to find and do. It has increased power from the 9mm with better capacity than the 45acp being in a 9mm framed firearm. Sure with modern HP loads it may even be surpassed a little or matched by 9mm, but when put into a SHTF scenario, and ball ammo becomes a real situation for primary ammo, then the 40sw may lose to the 45acp for hole size, but it beats it in capacity.

In this regard, to follow the training what you carry what your train logic, and your prep plans, it makes sense to not change guns once your HP ammo runs dry... this pushed the choice to 40sw being one of the more logical choices.

Perhaps we must address the situation from a different questions. It is not "what is Best?" but more so "what caliber will cover my arse in the greatest percentage of my needs?". I advise people all the time, make a list of what role you want to and expect your firear, to be used for. Use this list and check off the things that you feel each caliber will be better at Go with the most "filled" positions.

Essentially if your have to dump all of your stock and hold onto 1 handgun with 1 ammo can, what caliber would cover all your needs the best. Of course- once you've figured this out--- train to it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Perhaps we must address the situation from a different questions. It is not "what is Best?" but more so "what caliber will cover my arse in the greatest percentage of my needs?". I advise people all the time, make a list of what role you want to and expect your firear, to be used for. Use this list and check off the things that you feel each caliber will be better at Go with the most "filled" positions. Essentially if your have to dump all of your stock and hold onto 1 handgun with 1 ammo can, what caliber would cover all your needs the best. Of course- once you've figured this out--- train to it.

Good point...and I have done the same with individuals who've asked me, 'Which the best handgun?'
    To which I tend to respond with questions rather than an answer and my first response question typically is, 'What is it that you want or expect it to do?'
    A conversation / discussion is always a great starting point...as is some range time to help them get a better 'feel' on what some of their options are!
    To each their own...but some actual 'hands-on' experience is an excellent aspect for good decision-making!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I usually carry 9mm, either a P365 in my pocket or an M&P Compact 2.0 on the hip. Whatever incremental difference in effectiveness that the 9mm may have against the .45, it is more than made up for by capacity of the weapon. The only guns in .45 that compete with my M&P Compact in size/weight have a capacity of only 8 or 9 rounds, vs. 16 rounds of 9mm +P in my pistol. No contest.

I do have one .45 pistol that I carry sometimes, a S&W Shield. It's only down 1 round in capacity to the same platform in 9mm, so in that case I will take the bigger bullet. I don't really have a rational reason for carrying the Shield vs my P365, which carries just easily and shoots just as well. I just kinda like the Shield .45 and shoot it well. With a spare mag in my pocket, I feel fairly well armed with it.

My other .45 is an XD Mod 2 Tactical for home defense. Big bullets + capacity = win. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    .40 is the sweet spot for me. I do sometimes carry a G30sf in .45 as well as a P10C in 9mm, but at this point in time, it’s the P07 in .40 that I seem to be shooting the best.

NewGlockCity

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Home defense? Carry defense? Night stand? ...feel like any of those 3 handgun calibers would suffice. All 3 are Better than a rock. But for some reason I get the urge to mutter .45 nightstand/Home defense & 9mm on the hip just because they tend to be lighter but I know the person who causes me to draw my weapon on them certainly won’t be able to tell me which round they just got hit with in any scenario and certainly won’t care. And in that moment I don’t think I would either.

Top Bottom