• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hey Guys and Gals,

My wife thinks she likes the LCP in .380 (hasn't fired it, just likes the feel of it in her hand) but she has not made up her mind yet and I'd like to try to help her find a 9 mm that is not too snappy. I would feel better about her having a larger round for personal defense EDC.

Suggestions?

Hoosier.Patriot

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    Kahr CM9 or Kahr PM9. I've got both. 9mm and just a little bit larger than the LCP. Easier to shoot and better trigger than the LCP. The CM9 would not cost much more than an LCP.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Find someone you can barrow or somewerwre that rents pistols and let her shoot what ever she is interested in first! It will save you money in the long run.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Unless she's an accomplished shooter or expects any engagement to be within 10 ft. or so, I would recommend not buying the LCP. It's a neat gun, no doubt, and OkieGirl bought it because she liked its sub-compact size, but once we got it on the range, she had a tough time getting a decent group out of it (no, not really the gun's fault, we get that).

She has an M&P 9c that is too fat for a little frame to carry IWB, so now we are planning to bring home a Shield.

Just sharing our experience....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Try to find a Meet & Shoot in your area. Maybe someone has one you can try. A lot of guns feel good at the gun store, then not so good when you shoot them.

Guns are a very personal thing, sorta like a relationship thing. You can ask your buddies about a girl (or boy). Or you can go into a relation with someone that seems ok at first.

I tried a LC9. Thought it was nice, till I shot it. Didn't really like it.
    But, I've heard others that love it.

At a meet & shoot, you can usually try out dozens of weapons.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I had a LC9, hated trigger, ammo picky (lots of short strikes), & a bit snappy. My S&W 9mm shield is a pleasure to shoot, highly recommend.

Priceir, but HK P2000sk is really nice, as is USP compact.

For the money, shield is hard to beat.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    IMO if she likes the LCP, have her take a go at the LC9.

Other ones to look for are Kahr CM9/PM9, and the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. I have a Shield and love it, I've owned a PM9 and loved it too (I do like the Shield better =P)

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    I vote Kahr CM9, they go for $386 + tax NIB locally from a local Gun shop here in Fort Wayne area (Ed H's)

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Kudos Indy John 555

Unless she's an accomplished shooter or expects any engagement to be within 10 ft. or so, I would recommend not buying the LCP. It's a neat gun, no doubt, and OkieGirl bought it because she liked its sub-compact size, but once we got it on the range, she had a tough time getting a decent group out of it (no, not really the gun's fault, we get that).

She has an M&P 9c that is too fat for a little frame to carry IWB, so now we are planning to bring home a Shield.

Just sharing our experience....

I appreciate learning from your experience and the experience of other responders to my questions. :ingo:

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Where to find a "Meet and Shoot"

Try to find a Meet & Shoot in your area. Maybe someone has one you can try. A lot of guns feel good at the gun store, then not so good when you shoot them.

Guns are a very personal thing, sorta like a relationship thing. You can ask your buddies about a girl (or boy). Or you can go into a relation with someone that seems ok at first.

I tried a LC9. Thought it was nice, till I shot it. Didn't really like it.
    But, I've heard others that love it.

At a meet & shoot, you can usually try out dozens of weapons.

Hey Actaeon 277,

"Meet & Shoot"? Sounds like what our brave boys in Afganastan do when the "meet" the Taliban. :joke:

Seriously, though, that sounds like fun. Where can I find one? How do they work? I guess I would need to bring something to show others so that they can shoot it, huh. :a r15:

Looking forward to more info on this topic... :popcorn:

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Avenged XT...

IMO if she likes the LCP, have her take a go at the LC9.

Other ones to look for are Kahr CM9/PM9, and the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. I have a Shield and love it, I've owned a PM9 and loved it too (I do like the Shield better =P)

It seems like you've summed up the general consensus so far. A lot of love out there for the Kahr and the M&P Shield. Just looked up the Shield online, cool looking gun. I can't wait to try one out at one of these "Meet & Shoot" events I've been hearing about... ;)

HP

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The Sig Sauer P938 seems like a pretty sweet pistol.

Basically a mini 1911 in 9mm.

Havent shot one, but Im thinking about trading my LC9 for one.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Another vote for the Shield. It has very controllable recoil, and great sights too. I LOVE mine. Absolutely no buyers remorse.

On the subject of Meet and Shoots, I highly suggest attending one if you get a chance! It's a great opportunity to put get real world experience with the guns on your wishlist. Not to mention, INGO people are the nicest kinda folks you'll find at a range. :rockwoot:

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Meet & Shoot ?

Another vote for the Shield. It has very controllable recoil, and great sights too. I LOVE mine. Absolutely no buyers remorse.

On the subject of Meet and Shoots, I highly suggest attending one if you get a chance! It's a great opportunity to put get real world experience with the guns on your wishlist. Not to mention, INGO people are the nicest kinda folks you'll find at a range. :rockwoot:

So Meet & Shoot is an INGO thing? Is there some sort of schedule of them somewhere here on the website? I would like to know more details about this because I really would like my wife to be able to shoot some guns before we spend hundreds of dollars on one... It's not like a pair of shoes that don't fit right, you can't return a gun!

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Yes, the meet and shoots are INGO events. There's a subforum under General Interest called INGO Events. Us NWI folks have one every month, I don't know how often our southern INGO members meet.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Since you are in Indy, I would love to take you to the range... we just need to make contact, and find out if we have some time off together, but all of my firearms, are full size, except for a Taurus .38 .....

Top Bottom