• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Does anyone know, or had experience with Cavim ammo? I did a search, and found mixed results. It is made in Venezuela. The headstamp is "CAVIM 90". On the box, the manufacture date is 10 May 1990. Lot no. ANEGT 07. I have a line on it, and was curious. What is it worth? Is it corrosive? Is it reloadable? etc. I remember a previous post that had a link for looking up headstamps, but could not find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ETA: The reason I ask, is that my wife works with someone who has 1,000 that he wants to get rid of, he does not have a gun that can shoot it. If I can get a good deal on it, I will get it and pass the savings on to INGO members. I feel that there are people on here that would do the same. I don't want to pass bad ammo to the good people here.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    boxer primed... means its reloadable... based on the date of manufacure... being in the 90's i would say its probably NOT corrosive, but clean your bore just to make sure.... i say go ahead and get the stuff if you can get a deal....

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I bought some awhile back (two years ago) from a local Pawn shop. It actually turend out to be the most accurate of the mil surp ammo I tried in my Springfield M1A. I've gota good bit South African ammo that I'd trade you for the Cavim if you are interested. I can go look on my boxes of Cavim tomorrow if you'd like.

Doug K

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I bought several thousand in the mid 90's. It is boxer primed, non-corrosive, ball ammo. The case has a lacquer coating that tends to stick slightly in an M1A chamber during extraction. The M1A tends to distort the base quite a bit because of the violent extraction cycle.

I have not been able to reload them unless I use small base die. This is the only case that I have had to use a small base die with.

Other than that, it is quality 7.62X51 ammo and is worth whatever this caliber is worth these days.

If you can get 1000 at a reasonable price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom